I really believe this Redskins team, is going to be special!

Just now, Thaiphoon said:

Great...Ace, I love you man. You are like the extra brother my parent's never got around to making. But given your predictive track record, your prediction virtually assures that we will tank.

He was only 83 passing yards away from calling Cousins 5,000 passing yard season.

I think this team can win 10-games as constructed but we traded for Alex Smith, not Aaron Rodgers. I just don’t understand the love for Smith? He’s the epitome of an average QB. We should’ve kept Fuller and drafted Rudolph in the third. 

21 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I think this team can win 10-games as constructed but we traded for Alex Smith, not Aaron Rodgers. I just don’t understand the love for Smith? He’s the epitome of an average QB. We should’ve kept Fuller and drafted Rudolph in the third. 

Rudolph is the epitome of an average prospect. I don’t think any QB has come out of the Mike Grundy system and done anything in the NFL. Perhaps he and James Washington the WR out  of Ok State end up being only NFL back up quality.

If we were going to do anything in the draft after passing on signing Kirk long term, I’d take MKnight’s idea of trading up to get Rosen although it would’ve been pricey and their is also no guarantee it works either.

8 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I think some just disagree that Smith is average. I don't think he's elite. I don't think he's average.

I think he's a good QB that any team can win with, but if they want to continue winning throughout the postseason, they better not fall apart around him. Sadly, that is what happened to him last year, and in recent years. 

He is plenty good enough to win a SB with. Adding him (since other guy was gone/going anyway) means that Washington is a SB contender BUT they better focus on improving their weaknesses around him and stay healthy. Simple as that. Adding this QB means they need not worry about the QB position for a few years. Just make sure the other positions don't suck. 

36 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

This is inaccurate.  We had to pay to replace Fuller with Scandrick, who cost us about $1.9 mil more this season than Fuller.  So at most the savings this year was $3.7 mil.  Yay?  Also the Redskins currently have over $13 mil in cap space, so we didn't even spend it all.  Again, Yay?  Also Kirk Cousins is 4-5 years younger than Alex Smith, he's likely still on an upward trend, while Smith entering his 14th season will likely see regression soon.  Yay?  

Give me a break. Throwing in the Scandrick transaction... There’s no guarantee he even makes the team although I think he will.

That’s like me saying in 2020 it was going to cost us $15 million a year to keep Fuller so moving him saved us money in the future. Lol ? 

There’s also the fact that Kirk’s contract is guaranteed. Didn’t want to touch that one?

And Kirk’s contract is definitely done after 3 years in which he’ll probably be looking for a deal that pays him more than $31 million a year especially if he gets the Vikings back to the NFCCG or a Super Bowl.

Meanwhile, mostly likely we’ll have Alex under contract in 2021 and 2022 for $24.4 and $26.4 million which is again going to to be $7 to 10 million less than Kirk in those two years for similar QB play.

14 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

I think some just disagree that Smith is average. I don't think he's elite. I don't think he's average.

I think he's a good QB that any team can win with, but if they want to continue winning throughout the postseason, they better not fall apart around him. Sadly, that is what happened to him last year, and in recent years. 

He is plenty good enough to win a SB with. Adding him (since other guy was gone/going anyway) means that Washington is a SB contender BUT they better focus on improving their weaknesses around him and stay healthy. Simple as that. Adding this QB means they need not worry about the QB position for a few years. Just make sure the other positions don't suck. 

I don’t think I’d be so against the trade had Fuller not been involved. That was just classic overpay by the Redskins. They are always bidding against themselves. For as much as I loved Portis, giving the Broncos a HoF corner and then a 2nd round pick on top of it is just what we do. This trade while sort of different is still sort of the same. I’d rather have given up our second round pick and kept our third and Fuller. I just think it was dumb. 

1 minute ago, lavar703 said:

I don’t think I’d be so against the trade had Fuller not been involved. That was just classic overpay by the Redskins. They are always bidding against themselves. For as much as I loved Portis, giving the Broncos a HoF corner and then a 2nd round pick on top of it is just what we do. This trade while sort of different is still sort of the same. I’d rather have given up our second round pick and kept our third and Fuller. I just think it was dumb. 

I really can appreciate that, but at some point, it has to make sense to:

1. not fault Alex Smith the Redskin.. because that was a F/O decision to trade an impressive CB. 

2. learn to shrug it off, and not lament about decisions out of our hands. 

This part below is just in general, and likely does not apply to you:

I don't know too many people that watch and focus on sports, where their main goal is anything except root for their team(s) to succeed. 

If I couldn't root for my team(s) to succeed, and enjoy the season's progress? I walk away and find a more useful way to enjoy my free time. 

We recouped a 3rd in the trade back in the 2nd round of this years draft. We still got Guice - who we all thought we’d have to take @ 13 to get - with that 3rd we got possibly a future starting OL and next year we will have a bunch of comps. I believe 3 comp picks, I can’t remember the exact #.

Basically we traded highly respected  starting caliber QB in the league for a slot corner. That’s not a bad trade and it’s not an over pay.

I understand the love for Fuller, I loved him too and didn’t want to lose him but apparently that’s who the Chiefs wanted. So, in order to make it work where we’d get a comparable Qb to Kirk for cheaper we had to throw in our great slot corner. 

I’m sorry, not an overpay folks. Any GM in the NFL would trade Fuller for Alex Smith if they needed a starting qb.

45 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

We recouped a 3rd in the trade back in the 2nd round of this years draft. We still got Guice - who we all thought we’d have to take @ 13 to get - with that 3rd we got possibly a future starting OL and next year we will have a bunch of comps. I believe 3 comp picks, I can’t remember the exact #.

Basically we traded highly respected  starting caliber QB in the league for a slot corner. That’s not a bad trade and it’s not an over pay.

I understand the love for Fuller, I loved him too and didn’t want to lose him but apparently that’s who the Chiefs wanted. So, in order to make it work where we’d get a comparable Qb to Kirk for cheaper we had to throw in our great slot corner. 

I’m sorry, not an overpay folks. Any GM in the NFL would trade Fuller for Alex Smith if they needed a starting qb.

The need for a QB was created by the front office though. This team didn’t need a QB until they alienated the homegrown one we had. Them creating this need cost us two players. And we didn’t recoup a third round pick we just got another one. That’s like saying you spent $20 but found $20 so you got your $20 back. No, if you kept your $20 and found another $20 you’d have $40 so you didn’t get your $20 back lol. But now I’m rambling. 

59 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

I really can appreciate that, but at some point, it has to make sense to:

1. not fault Alex Smith the Redskin.. because that was a F/O decision to trade an impressive CB. 

2. learn to shrug it off, and not lament about decisions out of our hands. 

This part below is just in general, and likely does not apply to you:

I don't know too many people that watch and focus on sports, where their main goal is anything except root for their team(s) to succeed. 

If I couldn't root for my team(s) to succeed, and enjoy the season's progress? I walk away and find a more useful way to enjoy my free time. 

I don’t fault Alex Smith at all. I love the fact that he’s been all in and has really taken leadership of the team. None of this is the fault of Alex. And if he were to win this team a super bowl I’d be extremely happy. I just hate trading young talent for old talent. 

22 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

The need for a QB was created by the front office though. This team didn’t need a QB until they alienated the homegrown one we had. Them creating this need cost us two players. And we didn’t recoup a third round pick we just got another one. That’s like saying you spent $20 but found $20 so you got your $20 back. No, if you kept your $20 and found another $20 you’d have $40 so you didn’t get your $20 back lol. But now I’m rambling. 

Of course we recouped a 3rd. We traded a 3rd away to get Smith. Then, we traded down, got the guy we still wanted in round 2 and got a 3rd. That’s recouping. 

re·coup
rəˈko͞op/
verb
  1. regain (something lost or expended).
    "rains have helped recoup water levels"
    synonyms: get back, regainrecover, win back, retrieveredeem
    "the construction cost was extremely high, but most of that will be recouped through lower operating costs"

18 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I don’t fault Alex Smith at all. I love the fact that he’s been all in and has really taken leadership of the team. None of this is the fault of Alex. And if he were to win this team a super bowl I’d be extremely happy. I just hate trading young talent for old talent. 

Got that, yeah. Just keep in mind..

This team didn’t need a QB until they alienated the homegrown one we had. 

but at that point in this recent offseason, that's just where they were. For whatever the reasons.. right or wrong.. they were indeed at the point where getting a QB.. a viable QB that would not be a downgrade ( if at all )... was the #1 top urgency. For whatever their reasons, they were not content or satisfied with Kirk's value he placed on himself. They had to get a QB1. Starting over and developing a kid was not want they wanted. 

I think they really feel that they have upgraded at QB1... right or wrong, we'll probably never really know. 

Archived