RaidersAreOne

Khalil Mack Holdout (To be fined $814,000 tonight)

8 hours ago, holyghost said:

It shouldn't rub you the wrong way. I'm having the team make concessions. A 7th year, record high in guaranteed money, paid during Mack's prime so it's not fantasy money. 154 mil 7 year deal, even though the last 3 years are iffy. But at least his agents get to throw those massive numbers around the internet. 

If those concessions aren't adequate, well then Mack and his team are in the clouds thinking that a team will throw out it's leverage just because he has demands. A team is a business, and any team or team execs operating beyond their leverage on ideas of generosity are just not doing their jobs as they are described. I don't like the cold, cold way money operates in the world and am not advocating for the way things are done. I'm just presenting ideas that fit the fact that this is a business and team negotiators and contract execs are in fact mere businessmen. 

Also, regarding Bell. The franchise tag pays pretty damn well in the grand scheme of things. If he thinks Pitt is doing him dirty he can just play the next two years on whatever he can get out of it then retire. The sport isn't good for a guy anyway. That's more then enough money to live his entire remaining life in luxury. And if he's bent out of shape about it he can make a mental note to himself for the next life - "don't be a running back", or "play professional soccer". Why the heck would the guy want to play past 30 anyway? So you can live in pain the rest of your life, then lose your mind slowly, for the difference between a net worth of 40 million and 60 million? If that 20 extra million possibly buys you the complete inability to enjoy any of it?

Playing on the tag isn't much different than the reality many people live in. If you get injured in some significant way and can't work, the whole house of cards comes crumbling down. I'm sympathetic to the players, but not that much. Not sympathetic to the owners and execs at all, but mostly they hold the power at the moment.

Sure it doesn't seem like he's losing out if he stays healthy enough to make it through that scenario. The security of a multi year deal is critical. Otherwise every player would be willing to sign one year deals for more money. 

Penn took a paycut so now we could have our tackles

LT:  Kolton, Ware

RT: Penn, Parker

saving 3.4m in Penn new deal, and could save another 3m waiving Breno Giacomini

Edited by Humble_Beast

2 hours ago, StocktonSav said:

Sure it doesn't seem like he's losing out if he stays healthy enough to make it through that scenario. The security of a multi year deal is critical. Otherwise every player would be willing to sign one year deals for more money. 

Those long term deals are illusory anyway. They're pushed through by agents to make the huge year and total $ numbers seem amazing in the news. The guys end up getting cut or getting paid the same way in either scenario based on health and performance. If Mack performs and stays healthy he'll make all he's worth. If he's still in top form 4 years from now he'll be paid for it. So it's all pretty much moot. The only way he might get more is if he forces his way into free agency, which aside from a brutally ugly type of holdout, he cannot do until 3 years from now.

I think the contracts have bubbled beyond where we'll be in 10 years. I think the NFL peaked a few years ago and they will blame the 'protest' as the reason for the decline. Carr, Mack and finally Cooper because in Vegas we won't worry about them getting in trouble. After that it's scrape the barrel for players who want to win and weren't signed the first month of free agency.

Just pay the man so we can get this franchise on track to winning championships. Hate to reflect to Manning, Harrison/Wayne and Freeney but that's probably our future. Always in the hunt but needing the other pieces without having the cash to add them...