Khalil Mack traded to the Bears (Page 19)

RaidersAreOne

Our best player is holding out and there is very little conversation in other threads? This needs its own spot.

What the hell is going on. NO talks since February? NO contract on the table for Mack? This is not good regardless of how you spin it.

Update:

Wasn’t concerned at first but starting to get there. I just hope we don’t treat him like Pitt did bell or Washington did cousins. Seems like we are getting close to that point though.

Could also be that we are waiting on Donald. Who knows when the rams talked to him last?  My guess (well hope) is that we get through a round or two of cuts and get the deal done.

After doing some research, it seems to me Reggie and the front office are smart to wait and see what happens with Donald. After looking at their respective contracts and circumstances, there are a couple things of note IMO:

Donald has far more incentive to holdout. For one, he is making less than half than Mack this year under their 5th year option. Mack would make $13.8 mil on his 5th year option compared to Donald's $6.8 based on position and where they were drafted. (ie DEs earn more than DTs and there is a premium on top 10 picks). Additionally, you can make the argument that the careers of DTs are generally shorter and so there's a smaller "prime" window for him to cash in on.

However, despite having more motivation to hold out, Donald has far less leverage to do so compared to Mack IMO. I'm barely getting my feet wet learning this contract stuff but based on what I've picked up, it really seems like Donald's agent screwed him last year. Since he held out all of training camp in 2017, that year doesn't count as an "accrued season" for purposes of free agency. This will happen again if he doesn't report by August 7. Meaning if he doesn't report to camp this time next week, regardless of if/when he shows up this season, he would only have 3 accrued seasons going into 2019 free agency and would be a Restricted Free Agent. Donald would then be banking on a team not only willing to outbid LA but would also have surrender a draft pick (no doubt a first round tender).

So if their contract situations are as tied as everyone thinks, August 7 is the date to watch it would seem.

Holding out for more money is one thing. I just can't fathom the fact the Raiders and him aren't even speaking (if the report is true), and that there isn't even an official offer on the table for Mack to accept. As @NJ Raider mentioned, this has vibes of handling a player wrong like Bell and Cousins. 

13 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Holding out for more money is one thing. I just can't fathom the fact the Raiders and him aren't even speaking (if the report is true), and that there isn't even an official offer on the table for Mack to accept. As @NJ Raider mentioned, this has vibes of handling a player wrong like Bell and Cousins. 

I'm starting to think Mack might miss regular season games. I thought there be no chance Mack be traded but I actually think it's not impossible... yikes

I'll prefer to look at the silver lining of this situation. It provides an opportunity to give more reps to other guys at DE vying for a roster spot. Particularly Arden Key but also a last shot for guys like Calhoun, Fadol Brown, and Cowser. Every rep matters for them in training camp. Much more so than Mack IMO.

Also, assuming Mack holds out for most, if not all of preseason, it could be a best case scenario in terms of scheduling to get Mack up to speed. In our 3 of our first 4 games we're facing some of the (likely) weaker offenses we'll see all season in Miami, Denver, and Cleveland. It could be worse. 

Archived