Kevin Gausman traded to the Braves

JammerHammer21

15 minutes ago, Mr. bDoDDleS said:

Getting O'Day in the deal too which won't help for 2018, but should be a good bullpen arm for 2019 (his last year on his current deal). Is a sneaky nice move.

That was a pure salary dump by the O's.  He'll earn $9 million next year as a 36 year old.  

The big get for the O's is the $2.5 million in international spending money.  Yankees have been gobbling it up and there were rumors about them making a push to get Victor Victor.  O's now can easily top any other offer another team could make.  Their first venture into IFA in years is going to be a big one.

4 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

The big get for the O's is the $2.5 million in international spending money.  Yankees have been gobbling it up and there were rumors about them making a push to get Victor Victor.  O's now can easily top any other offer another team could make

Excuse me? In what universe is it that the O's can top any NYY offer?  Yankees to O's is always: "I call and raise you"  BALT folds :)

21 minutes ago, Leader said:

Excuse me? In what universe is it that the O's can top any NYY offer?  Yankees to O's is always: "I call and raise you"  BALT folds :)

You have a bonus pool you have to stick too. Thats why teams are buying money from other teams. Baltimore has the most now and can top any other offer.

Anyway,

Dont love or hate the move. Dont think Gausman is that much of an upgrade to what the Braves already has, but maybe Im wrong and he gets better outside of Baltimore and the Al East.

Braves didnt give up too much. Im going to miss Encarnacion. Big time lottery ticket, that I loved. If he continues to develop, he is a top prospect, but thats a few years away. Cumberland, Zimmerman, and Phillips are all filler really. 

33 minutes ago, devils1854 said:

Anyway,

Dont love or hate the move. Dont think Gausman is that much of an upgrade to what the Braves already has, but maybe Im wrong and he gets better outside of Baltimore and the Al East.

Braves didnt give up too much. Im going to miss Encarnacion. Big time lottery ticket, that I loved. If he continues to develop, he is a top prospect, but thats a few years away. Cumberland, Zimmerman, and Phillips are all filler really. 

Always the O'Day part that should be a big help to the bullpen next year.

1 hour ago, BillsGuy82 said:

Haha next year Orioles, Rays and Jays will be horrible.

Least Jays have high end prospects on the way and money 

The Rays could surprise next year and fight for the 2nd wildcard. They'll need a big breakout from one of their prospects circa 2008 Longo.

I posted this assessment on another site, but I was originally disappointed and thought the Braves took advantage of us.  After calming down and reading up on all that was in play, I thought it was a pretty good deal and took away four points from it: 

1.) Gausman doesn't have a positive trending track record. He's had good stretches and half seasons, and bad stretches. This isn't like the Schoop deal, where he's trended up every year and you can argue he had a bad first half. We dealt Gausman as a controllable starter with great stuff, but is inconsistent. I wonder if the Braves try to slow his delivery down as the Cubs did with Arrieta.  

2.) They also wanted to dump the O'Day contract. From comments made from Duquette, he is emulating the tanking strategy and wants to get there quickly. After the Britton trade, Spotrac had us committing $69 million next year to a handful of veterans, and with a payroll over $100 million once arbitration raises are put in. This deal is saving us $9 million with O'Day next year, the the substantial raise Gausman is likely to see from his almost $6 million contract this year (he was a Super 2 player I think.). So this deal also gets substantial money off the books for next year. 

3.) The $2.5 million is going to go a long way to sign Victor Victor Mesa. The Orioles have the cash to bring both him and his brother in, something none of the other teams in the running have right now. It is essentially down to the Orioles and Marlins.

4.) Seriously read up on the prospects we are getting back. Encarnacion is a toolsy guy, someone that the Orioles up until now do not like to draft and develop. He has a low floor, but a high ceiling. If he was 14th in the Braves' loaded system, he's likely a top 5-8 guy for us. Phillips is a great reliever candidate for the back of the bullpen, and Zimmermann is an underrated piece and could be the best of them all- read this link- https://www.talkingchop.com/2018/7/10/17551486/the-rise-of-atlanta-braves-minor-league-prospect-bruce-zimmermann  

16 hours ago, Leader said:

The universe where there is a hard cap on spending and the Orioles have a higher cap than the Yankees.

Archived