A Look Ahead: 2020 NFL Draft (Fight for the Top Spot)

Shylo3716

Top Dog  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Who will become the #1 overall selection in 2020?

• Tua Tagovailoa, QB, Alabama
    • Chase Young, DE, Ohio State
    • Other

2 hours ago, AlNFL19 said:

I think it's going to be a quarterback, but I doubt it'll be Tua. I haven't looked closely enough at the 2020 class yet to say much.

Which current NFL situations do you see phasing out to make way for a QB crop in 2020?

I like looking ahead but 2020 is a little far because you do not know which currently RS SOPH players will come out early much less which JR prospects will return.  Here is a top 20 maybe but I even hesitant with that because again it is way to early for this.  And even this list, I have three of these guys currently as RS SOPH prospects coming out for the 2019 draft, Paddy Fisher, Albert Okwuegbunam and Ross Blacklock but thought I would include them here because it is a little projection having them come out early in 2019.  Still again that is a big reason why 2020 is a little too far out.  And really no real prospect is just hands down above everyone else like there has been in years past, could easily say Clowney as a sophmore middle of the season would be the 1st pick as a JR the following years draft, not sure there is anyone like that out there currently as a SOPH player.  But that could change...   Did include Eason, that kid can play and I expect him to have a huge season next year on Washington, great arm talent just have to develop a little more. 

Jacob Eason Washington RS SOPH QB
Trey Smith Tennessee SOPH OG
Walker Little Stanford SOPH OT
Grant Delpit LSU SOPH S
KJ Costello Stanford RS SOPH QB
Najee Harris Alabama SOPH RB
Paddy Fisher Northwestern RS SOPH ILB
Jonathan Taylor Wisconsin SOPH RB
Greg Dortch Wake Forest SOPH WR
DK Metcalf Ole Miss SOPH WR
AJ Dillion Boston College SOPH RB
Albert Okwuegbunam Missouri RS
JK Dobbins Ohio State SOPH RB
Tee Higgins Clemson SOPH WR
Calvin Ashley Auburn RS FR OT
Tyler Vaughns USC RS SOPH WR
Ross Blacklock TCU RS SOPH DT
Joshua Kaindoh Florida State SOPH DE
Cam Akers Florida State SOPH RB
Nick Coe Auburn RS SOPH DE
Tyler Biadasz Wisconsin RS SOPH C

As for Tua the kid is talented but I am not ready to call him a future 1st rounder after never even playing a full college game in college.  Will see how he does this year and go from there, sure one of the top SOPH QBs but still he needs to play a full game at least once.  Sure one has others like Brandon Peters or Blackman or Haskins also but again they need to play more obviously and show more.  Also guys like Deondre Francois, Jarrett Stidham, Brian Lewerke, Daniel Jones and especially Tyree Jackson at QB.  Most are RS players but only half if that will come out in 2019, so should be around for 2020 arguably but hard to tell right now.  

1 hour ago, Shylo3716 said:

Which current NFL situations do you see phasing out to make way for a QB crop in 2020?

I think a lot of the teams people think are going to go high on a QB in 2019 will wait (ex.: New England) until 2020. Also, I think some guys might bust (Josh Allen, Mason Rudolph).

I think the 2020 class could be looked at by teams like New England, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Cincinnati, Miami, Washington, New York Giants, etc. and possibly Tampa Bay. A lot of teams, really.

Way too early to make any real judgment on the #1 pick because it'll probably be a QB that hasn't played a lot yet. Most of the QB's that get drafted high weren't game changers as freshman, so I find it almost impossible to predict the #1 pick.

Out of the freshman that I watched play last season, Cam Akers and JK Dobbins were the most impressive to me. But they're RB's and have no chance of going #1, as neither are as good as Saquon Barkley--who also didn't go #1.

1 hour ago, BleedTheClock said:

Way too early to make any real judgment on the #1 pick because it'll probably be a QB that hasn't played a lot yet. Most of the QB's that get drafted high weren't game changers as freshman, so I find it almost impossible to predict the #1 pick.

Out of the freshman that I watched play last season, Cam Akers and JK Dobbins were the most impressive to me. But they're RB's and have no chance of going #1, as neither are as good as Saquon Barkley--who also didn't go #1.

Identical observation on my part.

3 hours ago, ET80 said:

Do people really dislike Jake Fromm that much?

What he should be the #1 pick in 2020?  Fromm is a solid QB but could even argue Jacob Eason was and is far more talented, but clearly Fromm was the hot hand last year and was more fundamentally sound and did not take as many risks or make as many mistakes.  He does not wow you with his play though, he what only had one 300 yard passing game all last season and usually never threw over 25-30 passes total in a game.  Had a great year and the team had a lot of success but his upside is very limited.  That team was carried by that defense and that run game with those two senior backs, not by Fromm.  

Just watching Fields once I feel he is already more talented in terms of arm strength than Fromm and has more potential to make big plays and is a bigger better looking athlete as well.  Now will he be fundamentally sound like Fromm, will see but no surprise if Fields becomes the starter if he shows some consistency.  Eason last year though would have not lost his job if he did not get injured, but did and since things were going good they kept in the solid performing Fromm at QB.

Still it is way to early to call 2020 draft picks I feel, and honestly no one has yet to stand out that much who is way above the rest in terms of sophomore prospects.  But to say Fromm could be the #1 pick in 2020, well that would be shocking I feel, will see how he develops this year and how he looks this year but that broken hand is slowing him I am sure.  He might just stay the same and again his potential and overall ceiling might not be that high I feel.

• 2 weeks later...

2020 looks like a very weak draft class.  Not impressed with any of the QBs.  RBs seem average.  None of them look special.  Obviously there is still a long way to go and a lot of time for new players to emerge and the current guys to get better.  But I wouldn't exactly look forward to it. 

• 2 weeks later...

What do people think about Zach Allen. He looks like a poorer man's Chubb. Good vs the run and setting the edge, can rush the passer, but not very bendy or speedy around the corner. He'll play over the Right Tackle in the NFL.

13 hours ago, freak_of_nature said:

What do people think about Zach Allen. He looks like a poorer man's Chubb. Good vs the run and setting the edge, can rush the passer, but not very bendy or speedy around the corner. He'll play over the Right Tackle in the NFL.

Wrong thread, he is a 2019 prospect, but to answer your question, he may be the single most underrated DL prospect in a HOF caliber class. Outstanding football player, outstanding technique and football I.Q , not flashy but will probably be a solid contributor on a good defense for 10-12 years. He's going to be an outstanding value pick in the draft

Archived