A Look Ahead: 2020 NFL Draft (Fight for the Top Spot)

Shylo3716

Top Dog  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Who will become the #1 overall selection in 2020?

• Tua Tagovailoa, QB, Alabama
    • Chase Young, DE, Ohio State
    • Other

1 minute ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Wrong thread, he is a 2019 prospect, but to answer your question, he may be the single most underrated DL prospect in a HOF caliber class. Outstanding football player, outstanding technique and football I.Q , not flashy but will probably be a solid contributor on a gooddefense for 10-12 years. 

Whoops

If Miami ends up 8-8, they need to start focusing on guys like Allen. They really need a strong base 4-3 DE. 

On 8/17/2018 at 6:03 PM, VanS said:

2020 looks like a very weak draft class.  Not impressed with any of the QBs.  RBs seem average.  None of them look special.  Obviously there is still a long way to go and a lot of time for new players to emerge and the current guys to get better.  But I wouldn't exactly look forward to it. 

Excuse me, what? If the underclassman declare 2020 will be one of the strongest RB classes we've ever seen...crazy talk man

1 hour ago, IDOG_det said:

Excuse me, what? If the underclassman declare 2020 will be one of the strongest RB classes we've ever seen...crazy talk man

Who are these great sophomore RBs that you see?  Cause I don't see any?

1 minute ago, VanS said:

Who are these great sophomore RBs that you see?  Cause I don't see any?

I will answer the question for you, all of these guys have 1st round potential no question.

Jonathan Taylor Wisconsin
Najee Harris Alabama
AJ Dillion Boston College
JK Dobbins Ohio State

Not to mention these prospects who are quite talented as well.

Trey Sermon Oklahoma
De'Andre Swift Georgia
Cam Akers Florida State
Travis Etienne Clemson

Not to mention these juniors currently who might end up coming back for their senior season and could have a great season as well.  Sure Weber is not likely to come back but who knows.

Trayveon Williams Texas A&M
Mike Weber Ohio State RS
Darius Anderson TCU
Adrian Killins UCF
David Montgomery Iowa State
Jonathan Ward Central Michigan
Chris Evans Michigan
Joshua Jacobs Alabama
Shannon Brooks Minnesota RS

2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

I will answer the question for you, all of these guys have 1st round potential no question.

Najee Harris Alabama
JK Dobbins Ohio State

Trey Sermon Oklahoma
De'Andre Swift Georgia
Cam Akers Florida State
Travis Etienne Clemson

Not to mention these juniors currently who might end up coming back for their senior season and could have a great season as well.  Sure Weber is not likely to come back but who knows.

Mike Weber Ohio State RS
Darius Anderson TCU
Adrian Killins UCF
Chris Evans Michigan
Joshua Jacobs Alabama

I might be in the minority here but just because you get drafted in the 1st round doesn't make you special in my eyes.  I value more what you do in the NFL.  For example, Melvin Gordon was drafted in the 1st round and at the time I didn't think he was that good.  Over his career he's been okay but definitely nothing special with his sub-4.0 career YPC average.  With regard to the 2020 RBs, none of those "1st round prospects" you cited look like stars to me.  I could see Jonathan Taylor and JK Dobbins being productive players.  Dobbins for example reminds me of the Doug Martin who was drafted in the 1st round and had a couple of good years in the NFL.  But I doubt anyone would call him a superstar.

I believe we've seen the best RBs for the next generation already come into the league.  Those guys were drafted in 2017 and 2018.  Saquon Barkley, Alvin Kamara, Joe Mixon, Rashaad Penny, John Kelly, James Conner, etc.  Those are the guys I look for to be the dominant RBs in the NFL over the next 5-7 years.  I don't think any of the guys who are draft eligible in 2020 will be in their class.

27 minutes ago, VanS said:

I might be in the minority here but just because you get drafted in the 1st round doesn't make you special in my eyes.  I value more what you do in the NFL.  For example, Melvin Gordon was drafted in the 1st round and at the time I didn't think he was that good.  Over his career he's been okay but definitely nothing special with his sub-4.0 career YPC average.  With regard to the 2020 RBs, none of those "1st round prospects" you cited look like stars to me.  I could see Jonathan Taylor and JK Dobbins being productive players.  Dobbins for example reminds me of the Doug Martin who was drafted in the 1st round and had a couple of good years in the NFL.  But I doubt anyone would call him a superstar.

I believe we've seen the best RBs for the next generation already come into the league.  Those guys were drafted in 2017 and 2018.  Saquon Barkley, Alvin Kamara, Joe Mixon, Rashaad Penny, John Kelly, James Conner, etc.  Those are the guys I look for to be the dominant RBs in the NFL over the next 5-7 years.  I don't think any of the guys who are draft eligible in 2020 will be in their class.

Taylor, Harris, Dillion and Dobbins are all freaking tanks running the football with surprising speed.  To call John Kelly, James Conner and Rashaad Penny better backs than they are is a little off base I think but will see.  Sure being a 1st rounder is not everything but it is something and shows how special a prospect could become.  Being a 1st round pick at RB is not exactly easy either.  The SOPH RB class is a great potential class of running backs and if you do not see that fine.  But it is a great class I feel, sure they will not all be Hall of Fame players but who analyzes anything with HOF or bust anyway.  They could easily be on par with the 2017 class, yeah tons of people like Fournette with that size and speed, well 2020 there could be four guys just like him if not bigger.  You compare that SOPH RB class to the other positions in that SOPH class, yeah it is freaking loaded this early in the process compared to every other position for that class.  And sure I did not like Gordon a ton either, does not mean he was not super talented coming into the NFL and well worth a 1st round pick.

I would be shocked to see Conner or Kelly become these dominating NFL running backs.  Good sure maybe but Kelly will rarely play with Gurley being on the roster.  Taylor, Harris, Dillion, Dobbins and some others are very high ceilings I feel at the next level and being that size with that athletic ability is rare.  

Will see what happens this year, I think many of this SOPH backs are going to rip it up.  But I like big backs and enjoy watching them, so maybe you are just not a big back kind of guy.  Could explain your dislike of that 2020 RB class which is top heavy with big backs.  

12 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Taylor, Harris, Dillion and Dobbins are all freaking tanks running the football with surprising speed.  To call John Kelly, James Conner and Rashaad Penny better backs than they are is a little off base I think but will see.  Sure being a 1st rounder is not everything but it is something and shows how special a prospect could become.  Being a 1st round pick at RB is not exactly easy either.  The SOPH RB class is a great potential class of running backs and if you do not see that fine.  But it is a great class I feel, sure they will not all be Hall of Fame players but who analyzes anything with HOF or bust anyway.  They could easily be on par with the 2017 class, yeah tons of people like Fournette with that size and speed, well 2020 there could be four guys just like him if not bigger.  You compare that SOPH RB class to the other positions in that SOPH class, yeah it is freaking loaded this early in the process compared to every other position for that class.  And sure I did not like Gordon a ton either, does not mean he was not super talented coming into the NFL and well worth a 1st round pick.

I would be shocked to see Conner or Kelly become these dominating NFL running backs.  Good sure maybe but Kelly will rarely play with Gurley being on the roster.  Taylor, Harris, Dillion, Dobbins and some others are very high ceilings I feel at the next level and being that size with that athletic ability is rare. 

Will see what happens this year, I think many of this SOPH backs are going to rip it up.  But I like big backs and enjoy watching them, so maybe you are just not a big back kind of guy.  Could explain your dislike of that 2020 RB class which is top heavy with big backs.  

Yeah that's another thing I don't care too much about when it comes to RBs.  Trent Richardson was built like a tank and had surprising speed.  However, he lacked vision, make you miss ability, and natural RB skills.  When evaluating RBs, I don't look for the guy who runs for 80 yard TDs every Saturday cause his offensive line blows open multiple holes that give him a runaway into the secondary.  That's how guys like Trent Richardson and Melvin Gordon fooled NFL talent evaluators.  I look more for guys who can create something out of nothing.  Guys who make people miss or break tackles.  Those sort of skills translate more into the NFL than the guy who looks like he's built like a tank and is running for long TDs in college.  Many a RB have fooled NFL talent evaluators that way.  From what I've seen thus far, none of those sophomore RBs you mentioned look like NFL stars to me.

With regard to James Conner and John Kelly, those are guys I was high on before their respective drafts.  And nothing I've seen from them thus far in the preseason makes me think any less of what I think they can be in the NFL.  James Conner has his chance now to prove himself with Le'Veon Bell holding out.  And sure John Kelly is playing behind Todd Gurley but that doesn't mean he won't get some snaps.  Also RB is a position prone to injury and Todd Gurley has had a knee injury before in college.  There's no guarantee he will stay healthy. 

7 minutes ago, VanS said:

Yeah that's another thing I don't care too much about when it comes to RBs.  Trent Richardson was built like a tank and had surprising speed.  However, he lacked vision, make you miss ability, and natural RB skills.  When evaluating RBs, I don't look for the guy who runs for 80 yard TDs every Saturday cause his offensive line blows open multiple holes that give him a runaway into the secondary.  That's how guys like Trent Richardson and Melvin Gordon fooled NFL talent evaluators.  I look more for guys who can create something out of nothing.  Guys who make people miss or break tackles.  Those sort of skills translate more into the NFL than the guy who looks like he's built like a tank and is running for long TDs in college.  Many a RB have fooled NFL talent evaluators that way.  From what I've seen thus far, none of those sophomore RBs you mentioned look like NFL stars to me.

With regard to James Conner and John Kelly, those are guys I was high on before their respective drafts.  And nothing I've seen from them thus far in the preseason makes me think any less of what I think they can be in the NFL.  James Conner has his chance now to prove himself with Le'Veon Bell holding out.  And sure John Kelly is playing behind Todd Gurley but that doesn't mean he won't get some snaps.  Also RB is a position prone to injury and Todd Gurley has had a knee injury before in college.  There's no guarantee he will stay healthy. 

I would love to say Melvin Gordon is a bust like Trent Richardson.  Fact is he is not, only issue he has had is getting injured at times, but at least he has never missed a full season.  So yeah not ready to say Gordon "fooled" anyone just yet, that is simply too premature.  

As for big backs, yeah almost all of the best backs in the NFL currently are big guys.  Sure a few are not but the top 4-5 are all big guys 225-230.  

Elliott 230
Gurley 225
Bell 225
D. Johnson 225
Barkley 230
Fournette 230
J. Howard 225

None of the top four guys in 2020 potentially are just one cut break it 80 yard types.  All can break tackles and show vision and ability to make plays when the blocking is not there.  Sure they have not shown dynamite pass catching ability like many of the top guys in the NFL currently have shown especially the bigger backs but the season just started and all are coming off a very strong freshman year.  Will see if they have added that to there game.  They have all shown that they have good feet, can make cuts and get separation when in the clear as well to make a big play with speed.  

Take Gurley and Elliott in college, neither was a great make you miss back or Barry Sanders like, but they had the combo of athletic ability and toughness to get yards.  Elliott was a tank in college, very hard to bring down and had super leg power and strength.  That is why the SOPH RB class many of those guys are very interesting coming off of fine freshman seasons.  Just look at them, a lot are built similar to Elliott with the leg power and ability to get great leg drive combined with a thick and heavy frame.

Again though they have not shown the pass catching ability but yeah it is the start of their SOPH years.  Even Barkley took some time to become a better pass catcher in college, and really could say that about them all.  

5 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Najee Harris Alabama
JK Dobbins Ohio State

Trey Sermon Oklahoma
De'Andre Swift Georgia
Cam Akers Florida State
Travis Etienne Clemson

Mike Weber Ohio State RS
Darius Anderson TCU
Adrian Killins UCF
Chris Evans Michigan
Joshua Jacobs Alabama

Don't forget Stephen Carr, Brian Robinson Jr., Kylin Hill, JD King, Ty Chandler, Malik Davis, DeeJay Dallas, Khalan Laborn, Nathan Tilford, Eno Benjamin, and Morgan Ellison (pending suspension). And that's not counting any of the guys who stay for a senior season and that's not counting any small school guys who may emerge. @VanS saying the 2020 RB class is weak is pure crazy talk man. It's not even a hot take, it's just crazy. 

8 minutes ago, IDOG_det said:

Don't forget Stephen Carr, Brian Robinson Jr., Kylin Hill, JD King, Ty Chandler, Malik Davis, DeeJay Dallas, Khalan Laborn, Nathan Tilford, Eno Benjamin, and Morgan Ellison (pending suspension). And that's not counting any of the guys who stay for a senior season and that's not counting any small school guys who may emerge. @VanS saying the 2020 RB class is weak is pure crazy talk man. It's not even a hot take, it's just crazy. 

Very true, I just included the guys I thought had elite potential.  Some of those you listed I still think need to prove themselves some more, but yes very talented group overall.  A guy like Brian Robinson Jr on Alabama will struggle to get carries this year for sure and he would start on a ton of teams.  Same could be said for Malik Davis with Scarlett back but will see what happens.  Could also add Connor Heyward to that list, he looked good in their first game and could be a great combo opposite LJ Scott.  And like you said the JR RBs this year who come back as a senior.  I think Sewo Olonilua could be another one of those guys, big tall kid with great size and athletic ability.  And Dedrick Mills I assume will be on a roster playing next season, will see what he does, I believe he is going to Nebraska but not totally sure on that just yet.  

• 1 month later...

Although, Tua Tagovailoa is an outstanding talent, does anyone else feel that his stats will be overly inflated due to his receivers only capitalizing on the go-routes?

Most NFL scouts dissect and pick apart quarterbacks during the draft process for not making all of the correct throws they would like to see on film, but all he does is chuck it deep. 

I say all this to say it’s not a knock on him as a quarterback on my end, I am fielding for opinions to see where the consensus views are now before he declares in 2020.

Archived