We should play Kirk (Kurt) a lot this preseason

mar29020

last year he started the year off cold and it took him a few games to warm up. i think we should play the heck out of him to get him sharp and into mid-season form? what do we have to lose? he will probably be gone next year anyways

46 minutes ago, mar29020 said:

last year he started the year off cold and it took him a few games to warm up. i think we should play the heck out of him to get him sharp and into mid-season form? what do we have to lose? he will probably be gone next year anyways

I do think the Redskins should give him more time in the preseason than they did last year, but I'm not sure I would "play the heck" out of him. There is still a chance, albeit a small one, that they can re-sign him. However, if the Skins put him harm's way simply because they can, that's just another nail in that coffin.

I saw what Colt looked like. I don't want to spend a second of watching regular season football with him taking snaps, unless maybe for a meaningless victory formation. Even then, I'd rather have that be Sudfeld.

I'd rather protect our investment at this point.  Tom Brady hardly sees the field during the pre-season.  That's not me calling Cousins the next Brady, or saying he is on Brady's level, but we have a QB who is borderline elite.  Just a little bit of work with the first team to get the rust off should be enough for Cousins.  

2 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I'd rather protect our investment at this point.  Tom Brady hardly sees the field during the pre-season.  That's not me calling Cousins the next Brady, or saying he is on Brady's level, but we have a QB who is borderline elite.  Just a little bit of work with the first team to get the rust off should be enough for Cousins.  

Gruden said yesterday that Cousins not playing against the Packers was not on the table.

2 minutes ago, Woz said:

Gruden said yesterday that Cousins not playing against the Packers was not on the table.

Good.  Like I said, give him some time, but I don't think he needs any more than he got last year.  I know they also put in more work this off-season than normal with new receivers coming in too.  

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Good.  Like I said, give him some time, but I don't think he needs any more than he got last year.  I know they also put in more work this off-season than normal with new receivers coming in too.  

Eh, I don't know about that. He definitely was rusty last year when the season began, and I remember them being very hands off with him. Especially since he only got six snaps against the Ravens, I think they have to roll with him at least a quarter-plus.

7 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

He needs to play a half in preseason game 2 and 3 quarters in preseason game 3. Then nothing in game 4. Same with the other starters. 

You are a bit ahead of conventional wisdom there.  About half of the first team plays the first quarter in pre-season Game 2, and in game 3, almost the entire first team plays the first half.  I don't see them doing anything to buck that.  

26 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

You are a bit ahead of conventional wisdom there.  About half of the first team plays the first quarter in pre-season Game 2, and in game 3, almost the entire first team plays the first half.  I don't see them doing anything to buck that.  

Correct. But given that this team comes out of the blocks late and doesn't come out strong in the first few games of the regular season, we need to stop with the conventional wisdom here and get these guys some more game reps.

1 hour ago, Thaiphoon said:

Correct. But given that this team comes out of the blocks late and doesn't come out strong in the first few games of the regular season, we need to stop with the conventional wisdom here and get these guys some more game reps.

If you do that, you run the risk of someone going to the NFLPA complaining about being worked too hard, and with our recent history of "winning" and "consistency" they could argue that effectively.  Not saying I agree, but that's something that we run the risk of.  

In a perfect world we have two pre-season games and that's it, both are tune up games for the real thing.  Considering I can't give away my pre-season tix and the stadium is usually empty by halftime, I am sure the Redskins don't make any money on-site for those games. 

28 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

If you do that, you run the risk of someone going to the NFLPA complaining about being worked too hard, and with our recent history of "winning" and "consistency" they could argue that effectively.  Not saying I agree, but that's something that we run the risk of.

I'm not sure how they could make that argument convincingly. Even if they could, the counterargument is even easier:

1. The starting offense got six snaps in game 1. They need more work if they're to fully gel.
  2. They started 0-2 last year, including dropping a winnable game in week 2 against the Cowboys. In those two games, Cousins posted his worst and fifth worst games per passer rating. This required them a "do or die" game in week 3.
  3. Unlike OTAs and minicamps, this is preseason football. There's nothing that contractually limits the amount of players play in the preseason. The only thing that limits their playing time is the risk coaching staffs are willing to take. In most cases, NFL teams are usually risk-averse during meaningless games to avoid injuries derailing seasons. There's nothing to stop teams from going further and playing their starters longer if they feel it is necessary.
35 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

In a perfect world we have two pre-season games and that's it, both are tune up games for the real thing.  Considering I can't give away my pre-season tix and the stadium is usually empty by halftime, I am sure the Redskins don't make any money on-site for those games.

They just adjust how many ushers/vendors/parking attendants are needed. Snyder doesn't care since he's already made his money from your season ticket purchase.

10 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

We better play the OL the whole preseason then because they looked like a high school line trying to play a NFL team against the Ravens!!

Agreed, a lot of the reason Colt looked so poorly was because the OL wasn't prepared for their blitzes. Colt isn't a great qb but he's certainly not as bad as he was last Thursday. If the OL plays better, he'll be better.

Archived