Stadium Saga, Part XVIII (Wilfs' future plans):

vike daddy

In the 70's, you could pay for college working full time at a minimum wage job. It was hard, but it could be done. Working a year full time on minimum wage won't get you a semester at most state colleges these days. And that doesn't include books, fees, housing, food, etc.  

That said, the high costs of college are attributable to decreased public funding and the rise of the "we finance anyone" student loans. You can borrow tons of money that's backed by the government. The schools can raise tuition because they know that money is guaranteed for everyone. Want that 4-year degree in Ancient Chinese Fortune Cookie Making? Here ya go, all yours for the low low price of $150k for a degree with no job prospects! Lenders should be required to take future potential earnings and tuition costs into account before lending. 

Want that ACFCM degree? Great. Find the money elsewhere. 

Furthermore, student loans aren't dischargeable in bankruptcy. Nearly every other kind of debt is. It's nearly impossible to have your student loans forgiven. It really is nearly impossible for kids graduating college these days to be able to afford to own homes, buy new cars, or many other things that boomers took for granted. Student loan payments take away significant amounts of money that would otherwise be driving the economy and creating more manufacturing, construction jobs. Think the economy is booming now? Imagine if 20 million 20-somethings had an extra $500-$1500 a month.

On Topic:  A place in that tower should come with season tickets...

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Dan Graziano's top 10 stadiums

1. U.S. Bank Stadium, Minnesota Vikings: The space-age viking-ship exterior shape is a bit weird, but wait until you get a load of the gleaming, sunny, modern perfection inside.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27431976/10-nfl-analysts-rank-everything-football-best-coaches-coordinators-more#STAD

On 8/2/2018 at 7:37 AM, wcblack34 said:

In the 70's, you could pay for college working full time at a minimum wage job. It was hard, but it could be done. Working a year full time on minimum wage won't get you a semester at most state colleges these days. And that doesn't include books, fees, housing, food, etc.  

That said, the high costs of college are attributable to decreased public funding and the rise of the "we finance anyone" student loans. You can borrow tons of money that's backed by the government. The schools can raise tuition because they know that money is guaranteed for everyone. Want that 4-year degree in Ancient Chinese Fortune Cookie Making? Here ya go, all yours for the low low price of $150k for a degree with no job prospects! Lenders should be required to take future potential earnings and tuition costs into account before lending. 

Want that ACFCM degree? Great. Find the money elsewhere. 

Furthermore, student loans aren't dischargeable in bankruptcy. Nearly every other kind of debt is. It's nearly impossible to have your student loans forgiven. It really is nearly impossible for kids graduating college these days to be able to afford to own homes, buy new cars, or many other things that boomers took for granted. Student loan payments take away significant amounts of money that would otherwise be driving the economy and creating more manufacturing, construction jobs. Think the economy is booming now? Imagine if 20 million 20-somethings had an extra $500-$1500 a month.

On Topic:  A place in that tower should come with season tickets...

And your point is?? DON'T GET A LOAN YOU CAN'T AFFORD.. I have been married 24 years, have about 3 years left on my mortgage and I don't have a degree. College is not necessary regardless of what MSM says. 

17 minutes ago, tmass006 said:

And your point is?? DON'T GET A LOAN YOU CAN'T AFFORD.. I have been married 24 years, have about 3 years left on my mortgage and I don't have a degree. College is not necessary regardless of what MSM says. 

I went into the trades. 2 year school. Paid off my last loan in 2018. 9 years after graduation.

Buddy went to St. Cloud. 4 year school. Still has about $20,000 left to pay off.

10 hours ago, tmass006 said:

It isn't necessary, but it sure helps.  I applaud you for that, but in some cases, to get the job you want, it's required.  I would have been terrible in the trades, probably would have cut my hands off or fell off a roof and died.  I'm not mechanical and I'm not "handy."  My strengths are not in using my hands.  To get where I wanted to go, I had to get a degree.  And yes, I'll probably still be paying for student loans probably until I'm retired, but I'm okay with that...it's gotten me to where I can live fairly comfortably.

On another note, I've never understood where the term "mainstream media" came from.   As far as I'm concerned, any news on any station, cable news included, is all part of mainstream media.  It's a nonsense term...but that's just my opinion, and would take this topic discussion way out of the rules, so I'll leave it there.  ;)  

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, swede700 said:

On another note, I've never understood where the term "mainstream media" came from.   As far as I'm concerned, any news on any station, cable news included, is all part of mainstream media.  It's a nonsense term...but that's just my opinion, and would take this topic discussion way out of the rules, so I'll leave it there.  ;)  

It's a term used when you don't want to believe what the facts say, but can't find another way to dispute them. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, swede700 said:

It isn't necessary, but it sure helps.  I applaud you for that, but in some cases, to get the job you want, it's required.  I would have been terrible in the trades, probably would have cut my hands off or fell off a roof and died.  I'm not mechanical and I'm not "handy."  My strengths are not in using my hands.  To get where I wanted to go, I had to get a degree.  And yes, I'll probably still be paying for student loans probably until I'm retired, but I'm okay with that...it's gotten me to where I can live fairly comfortably.

Key example of want vs. need. I need a car, but I don't go out and buy the most expensive one on the lot. I need a job, but there's lots of jobs that don't cause me to go thousands of dollars in debt.

Even if you want to pursue your chosen career, there are schools that still allow you to get that degree but don't gouge you in the process. Or, get a job for a few years to allow you to afford tuition. There are ways to get it done, but kids too often get taken advantage of by these lenders. Because free money!

Now how did we get here?

Edited by Klomp

2 hours ago, swede700 said:

Just out of curiosity, if you can live fairly comfortably, what's to stop you from paying off your student loans?

Someone stop me if we are getting to far off topic

• 4 weeks later...