Thought Exercise - Trading for an Impact Player

Raves

So looking at NFL General, there is a thread asking about the value of Khalil Mack if he were to be traded due to wanting a new contract, which is very much warranted considering his play.  The values listed from maybe a little high, 2 1sts and 2 2nds, to the absurd, a 3rd round pick.

This type of thought exercise is normally found more in the NBA where trades happen more often, but we'll try it here as well.  The goal is to either trade for players or trade players away, with realistic value on both ends, and the goal of the moves.  For the sake of argument we'll only be dealing with cap hits and not with dead money as it's too complex for this.  For example:

Move to Win Now

Saints Trade:  Marcus Davenport

Oakland Trades:  Khalil Mack

Reasoning:  The Saints make an even bigger win now move by trading away their 1st round pick who has similar potential to that of Mack coming out, though a much lower floor, on a rookie contract for an immediate top 3-5 defensive player to pair with their own top 5 defensive player in Cam Jordan and make a run for one or more Super Bowls over the next 2-3 years with Drew Brees still able to play at a high enough level.  The Raiders trade their current top star for a player that has a similar potential but needs more development and is currently on a rookie contract, pushing off the need to play a potential impact defensive star.

Transition to Defensive Focused

Saints Trade:  Drew Brees, Ken Crawley

Cleveland Trades:  Tyrod Taylor, Denzel Ward

Reasoning:  The Browns have had struggles for years, they are finally putting together a good crop of young talent, but they are still the laughing stock of the NFL and really need a good season.  They bring in Drew Brees to help mentor their QBOTF in Mayfield who can learn to play with his fire and emotion but remain under control from Brees, while also seeing first hand the habits required to become a HOF QB.  The Saints realizing that their window with Brees might be closed due to the strength of the NFC, decide to change the way they approach competing.  They transfer a lot of guaranteed money away from the QB position and make it available for the defense.  With a solid, but not great QB in Tyrod Taylor, they also bring in a top flight potential CB in Denzel Ward who joins what is quickly becoming the New Orleans Buckeyes.  Ward rejoins his former teammates Bell and Lattimore, who formed one of the best defensive backfields in recent college football, as well as other former Buckeyes in JT Barrett, Michael Thomas, and old school guys in Kurt Coleman and Ted Ginn JR.

@Raves  I get your reasoning, great work up btw :)

I am with @navysaintsfan here though. I think the Saints have something special now and will have for the next 3-7 years (barring contract issues and such). Although this proposed trade might seem tantalizing... I think Brees (despite the big money) brings much more to the table than folks may think. For that reason alone, I say no way. Just my two pence ;)

I think you are both missing the point.  This is just a thought exercise not what we would actually do and would just to spur conversation.  With NBA trades on other forums you list a trade and list why for both teams.  This was just trying to do the same here.  So with my examples only one or the other would happen, they were both just examples of how to approach the exercise.  One example was how the Saints would trade a yound player on a cheap contract that needs to develop for a proven top flight player that wants paid, while the other was with the Saints deciding to change directions a little in both direction of the team and when they want to compete, right now vs 2-3 years from now.

On 8/4/2018 at 2:16 PM, Raves said:

I think you are both missing the point.  This is just a thought exercise not what we would actually do and would just to spur conversation.  With NBA trades on other forums you list a trade and list why for both teams.  This was just trying to do the same here.  So with my examples only one or the other would happen, they were both just examples of how to approach the exercise.  One example was how the Saints would trade a yound player on a cheap contract that needs to develop for a proven top flight player that wants paid, while the other was with the Saints deciding to change directions a little in both direction of the team and when they want to compete, right now vs 2-3 years from now.

Ok. Since you put it that way...

I see your point and still emphatically say no. Here's why... IMO, Davenport will progress at a rate faster than many think. I say that based on his demeanor and attitude in interviews. The kid is a freakishly good athlete with a very humble attitude with something to prove. I get it that Mack is that quality type player now whereas Davenport is unproven. There's a reason why the Saints jumped for D'port. After all, he was slotted to go to the Ravens, a team known for it's defensive mindset. 

Now, the Drew Brees/Ken Crawley thing... from a talented youth perspective I'd strongly consider pulling that trigger. Would never happen in reaal life, but you know that.  To me that's a good trade... I might even ask for a 5, 6, or 7th rounder too in that scenario. I agree with your thought process on that one despite it possibly being considered as 'a little homerish' (b/c of the OSU connection ;)

11 minutes ago, jcvoodoo said:

Ok. Since you put it that way...

I see your point and still emphatically say no. Here's why... IMO, Davenport will progress at a rate faster than many think. I say that based on his demeanor and attitude in interviews. The kid is a freakishly good athlete with a very humble attitude with something to prove. I get it that Mack is that quality type player now whereas Davenport is unproven. There's a reason why the Saints jumped for D'port. After all, he was slotted to go to the Ravens, a team known for it's defensive mindset. 

Now, the Drew Brees/Ken Crawley thing... from a talented youth perspective I'd strongly consider pulling that trigger. Would never happen in reaal life, but you know that.  To me that's a good trade... I might even ask for a 5, 6, or 7th rounder too in that scenario. I agree with your thought process on that one despite it possibly being considered as 'a little homerish' (b/c of the OSU connection ;)

The Mack for Davenport deal was to showcase where the original idea came from.

The Brees/Crawley could be replaced by any promising young defensive player/adequate starting QB for Brees/adequate defensive player, I just used the Browns as they were the easiest in terms of looking for a top flight potential defensive player along with a reasonable starting QB for a swap.  It's hard looking for a Brees trade as most teams have a starting QB or a QB they would like to toss out there to see what they got, but don't have the prospect that we would want in return, the Browns just have a stockpile of young talent.

I was hoping for others to toss out ideas as well.  I mean are there any trades you could think of along these lines or a different aspect even?  Maybe something a little crazier like trading Cam Jordan to the Seahawks for Earl Thomas with the idea that a dominant secondary can make up for the pass rush.  Maybe do a trade of Marcus Lattimore for a stud DL and adequate CB, etc.

On 8/7/2018 at 7:35 AM, jcvoodoo said:

There's a reason why the Saints jumped for D'port. After all, he was slotted to go to the Ravens, a team known for it's defensive mindset. 

Where did you see this?

I'm a Ravens fan and was super high on Davenport but never saw a report that indicated much interest on their part. 

1 hour ago, DreamKid said:

Where did you see this?

I'm a Ravens fan and was super high on Davenport but never saw a report that indicated much interest on their part. 

I'm a Ravens fan too... they're my AFC team. I believe it was Ian Rapoport prior to the draft of course. I'd have to find the actual article.

Archived