LB Jake Ryan out for season with Torn ACL

deltarich87

1 minute ago, Joe said:

That's what I figured. Wonder if it was just one of those freak, twisting-like injuries.

It may have happened while he was tackling the guy. I didnt get that impression - which means - I really dont know.

48 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Better than Hawk and Bishop? Hawk was way overrated but also way better than every ILB currently on our roster other than Martinez. Bishop was probably the best run-trumping ILB we've had on our team in last 15 years and a hell of a blitzer as well. Ryan sucks at the latter. Basically Ryan is a pretty solid run defender and isn't even average at anything else. 

Not to mention that we also had Barnett at this point in that season as well.  I don't think that we are better off than in 2010.

Sad to see any player, especially a Packer, get injured.

That said, here are some cold, hard facts pertaining to Jake Ryan:

A defensive lineman until late in his Michigan career – and after he returned from his first ACL tear, he was drafted in round 4 of the 2015 draft;

He became a starter by default as a rookie (Hawk and Brad Jones were let go after the 2014 season) because Sam Barrington went down for the season in week 1 and Nate Palmer was so bad that Ryan was eventually plugged in to play alongside Clay (just typing in the names of this sad collection of ILBs brings back bad memories);

In his 3 years in GB, mostly a starter, Ryan accumulated 1 forced fumble, 2 fumble recoveries, 1 sack, 0 interceptions, and 3 passes defended (none in either 2015 or 2017);

Blake Martinez was drafted in 2016 (in round 4 just like Ryan) and immediately became the ILB entrusted to call the defense as a rookie -- ahead of Ryan;

Ryan played 48% of the 2017 defensive snaps but that number increased markedly after Joe Thomas got hurt early in the season against the Bears - meaning the plan was for Ryan to play fewer snaps and for Thomas (yes, Joe Thomas) to play more snaps last season; and

The Packers traded up into the 3rd round to select Oren Burks (an ILBer with far, far different measurables and background than Ryan) last April.

In reality, Jake Ryan was the ultimate “Just A Guy.”

He was decent against the run, exhibiting the toughness of a defensive lineman – the position he played for much of his football career.

But the NFL is primarily a passing league, and there was simply no role for Ryan in the passing game.

He lacked (i) instincts for the position and (ii) the athleticism necessary to compensate for those lack of instincts. He was a liability in space and thus could not be counted on to match up against the pass catching RBs that so many teams feature in today’s NFL. He was not a good blitzer.

This is what one Packer “writer” had to say about Ryan after last season and represents the consensus regarding his play:

"The former fourth-round pick out of Michigan, had a 2017 season that was statistically similar to that of 2016, which isn’t necessarily a good thing. But at least he’s consistent. His continued pass coverage issues are part of what prompted the Packers to experiment with Burnett and Jones in linebacker positions. They wanted to be faster."

As soon as Pettine was hired (and before Burks was selected,) I predicted Ryan would see the greatest decrease in playing time among the returning defensive starters. No competent DC (which I believe Pettine to be) would continue to allow the middle of the field to be so wide open against the pass the way the previous DC allowed it to be the past several years.

The Packers did not draft Burks to pair up with Ryan, they drafted him to take snaps away from Ryan.

If the Packers D cannot overcome the loss of Jake Ryan then the D was never going to good enough for the Packers to advance very far in the playoffs anyway.

Finally, with Ryan sidelined, there is even a possibility that we will see improved play from his replacement(s) to the benefit of the D overall.

17 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

A defensive lineman until late in his Michigan career – and after he returned from his first ACL tear, he was drafted in round 4 of the 2015 draft;

He became a starter by default as a rookie (Hawk and Brad Jones were let go after the 2014 season) because Sam Barrington went down for the season in week 1 and Nate Palmer was so bad that Ryan was eventually plugged in to play alongside Clay (just typing in the names of this sad collection of ILBs brings back bad memories);

In his 3 years in GB, mostly a starter, Ryan accumulated 1 forced fumble, 2 fumble recoveries, 1 sack, 0 interceptions, and 3 passes defended (none in either 2015 or 2017);

Blake Martinez was drafted in 2016 (in round 4 just like Ryan) and immediately became the ILB entrusted to call the defense as a rookie -- ahead of Ryan;

Ryan played 48% of the 2017 defensive snaps but that number increased markedly after Joe Thomas got hurt early in the season against the Bears - meaning the plan was for Ryan to play fewer snaps and for Thomas (yes, Joe Thomas) to play more snaps last season; and

The Packers traded up into the 3rd round to select Oren Burks (an ILBer with far, far different measurables and background than Ryan) last April.

He was decent against the run, exhibiting the toughness of a defensive lineman – the position he played for much of his football career.

But the NFL is primarily a passing league, and there was simply no role for Ryan in the passing game.

He lacked (i) instincts for the position and (ii) the athleticism necessary to compensate for those lack of instincts. He was a liability in space and thus could not be counted on to match up against the pass catching RBs that so many teams feature in today’s NFL. He was not a good blitzer.

This is what one Packer “writer” had to say about Ryan after last season and represents the consensus regarding his play:

"The former fourth-round pick out of Michigan, had a 2017 season that was statistically similar to that of 2016, which isn’t necessarily a good thing. But at least he’s consistent. His continued pass coverage issues are part of what prompted the Packers to experiment with Burnett and Jones in linebacker positions. They wanted to be faster."

As soon as Pettine was hired (and before Burks was selected,) I predicted Ryan would see the greatest decrease in playing time among the returning defensive starters. No competent DC (which I believe Pettine to be) would continue to allow the middle of the field to be so wide open against the pass the way the previous DC allowed it to be the past several years.

The Packers did not draft Burks to pair up with Ryan, they drafted him to take snaps away from Ryan.

If the Packers D cannot overcome the loss of Jake Ryan then the D was never going to good enough for the Packers to advance very far in the playoffs anyway.

Finally, with Ryan sidelined, there is even a possibility that we will see improved play from his replacement(s) to the benefit of the D overall.

Amen. 

22 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Your facts suck:

1. Jake Ryan played the entire 2014 season at Michigan as an off ball linebacker. He was an edge guy before he got hurt in 2013 and spent a good amount of time on his feet.

2. Jake Ryan played 260 defensive snaps in 2015. Describing him as a starter is misingenuous at best.

3. Blake Martinez was not calling the defense as a rookie. He played less than 50 percent of defensive snaps in 2015. Ryan played 120 more snaps than Martinez and still played sub 600.

4. For a guy who had no role, it's weird as hell he was starting on the defense in camp?

5. How are you evaluating Ryan's blitzing ability when we blitzed almost no reps outside of the pressure package since he's entered the league and he's never played in the pressure package?

6. Nobody has ever claimed that Burks and Ryan is the future when Martinez is clearly the best player in that room. 

7. Losing decent players hurts depth even if you don't like the player and think the depth might be better. It's better to have options than not.

8. At some point you slipped away from facts and started jerking yourself about being right regarding a prediction that never came true.

2 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Your facts suck:

1. Jake Ryan played the entire 2014 season at Michigan as an off ball linebacker. He was an edge guy before he got hurt in 2013 and spent a good amount of time on his feet.

2. Jake Ryan played 260 defensive snaps in 2015. Describing him as a starter is misingenuous at best.

3. Blake Martinez was not calling the defense as a rookie. He played less than 50 percent of defensive snaps in 2015. Ryan played 120 more snaps than Martinez and still played sub 600.

4. For a guy who had no role, it's weird as hell he was starting on the defense in camp?

5. How are you evaluating Ryan's blitzing ability when we blitzed almost no reps outside of the pressure package since he's entered the league and he's never played in the pressure package?

6. Nobody has ever claimed that Burks and Ryan is the future when Martinez is clearly the best player in that room. 

7. Losing decent players hurts depth even if you don't like the player and think the depth might be better. It's better to have options than not.

8. At some point you slipped away from facts and started jerking yourself about being right regarding a prediction that never came true.

Given that we have disagreed about the ILB position since the day Martinez was drafted in 2016 (and I predicted he would be the better ILBer), I can see why you do not like the above-described facts about Jake. (Though I appreciate your concession that Martinez is clearly the better player).

Nonetheless, responding to your "contentions: ...

1) Jake Ryan played outside for Ol' Brady Hoke (if you want to insist Ryan was an outside linebacker rather than a DE in that bad Mich. defense so be it) during his first 3 seasons at Michigan. However, there is no denying that "The 6-foot-2 3/8, 240-pound Ryan moved to middle linebacker in Michigan’s 4-3 defense as a fifth-year senior" https://detroit.cbslocal.com/2015/05/02/packers-draft-michigan-lb-jake-ryan-in-4th-round/

Perhaps it was his lack of experience at the position, but Ryan was simply not an instinctive ILBer.

2) As previously stated, Ryan eventually (my word) overcame the "fierce competition" of Nate Palmer and began starting at ILB during his rookie season with the Packers in 2015 -- Palmer "lost his starting job to rookie Jake Ryan on Dec. 3 against Detroit". https://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/insidersblog/2016/04/08/palmers-release-ilb-nate-palmer/82808540/

To pretend that Ryan did not become a starter as a rookie is, at best, disingenuous.

3) Yes, Blake was calling defensive signals as a rookie -- "Martinez also has the ultra-important role of defensive signal-caller, wearing the helmet headset through which defensive coordinator Dom Capers communicates" http://www.espn.com.au/blog/green-bay-packers/post/_/id/33645/shake-n-bake-jake-n-blake-by-any-name-packers-like-linebackers-ryan-martinez ...

And,  "Blake Martinez ... began his rookie year as one of the starters ... He was even tasked with calling defensive plays at the beginning of last year" (https://lombardiave.com/2017/08/01/green-bay-packers-2017-roster-inside-linebackers/.

Ryan played more snaps that Blake in 2016 because the latter sustained a knee injury and was either out of the lineup or severely hampered late in the year. Indeed, Ryan played 195 snaps compared to only 39 for Martinez after week 10 of 2016.

4) I did not say Ryan had NO ROLE on the team, I said "there was simply no role for Ryan in the PASSING GAME," though I can understand why a Ryan fan would omit "the passing game" portion of the statement.

5) I based my opinion of Ryan being a poor blitzer on his 3 years of play as a Packer.

Now, to be fair, the previous defensive coordinator may well have played a role in Ryan's inability to effectively blitz, but only his biggest boosters could possibly contend that Ryan displayed an aptitude for blitzing during his time in GB.

6) Um, huh, what? I asserted the Packers drafted Burks "to take snaps away from Ryan" not Martinez.  Are you disagreeing with that assertion or do you simply not like that fact?

7) Yes, losing decent players hurts depth and as I stated Ryan was "decent" against the run. Thus at this point, the Packers run D depth has sustained a blow.

However, I am confident the Packers can find a body to replace Ryan's decent play against the run, and don't believe Jake Ryan's absence will substantially impact the Packers D in a negative way.

I also retain hope that his replacement(s) might actually lead to improved play (as with Bishop in 2010) at what has been one of the team's weakest positions both before and during Ryan's tenure in GB.

45 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

Here's a list of ILBs by team depth chart
PR listed the FAs that are on the street, some of these guys are likely to be free later in August

http://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchartpos/ILB

OH! The first guy on the list: Tremaine Edwards. Lets get him! There we go...problem solved!
Oh.....he just got drafted by another team? Welllllllllllllll hell. I would have drafted him and avoided this whole problem LOL!

Archived