Training Camp and Preseason

Sllim Pickens

Go ahead and do what I did, go back 25 years and look at every player the Lions have drafted in the first round after pick 18, which is where they'd be with Mack on the team, imo.

Aside from Jarrad and Ragnow, who are still undefined (though Davis is not on a good track at the moment), I had to go back to Jeff Hartings to find a player I wouldn't trade for a bag of kicking tees.

Lions should have matched this deal without a second thought.

1 hour ago, Nnivolcm said:

How do you define being a contender? We've seen playoff 6th seeds win the Superbowl, so does contending for a spot in the playoffs make you a contender? If so, I think Mack would certainly make the Lions a contender. By far the biggest weakness on the team is lack of pass rush, and Mack would instantly give us a dangerous pass rusher that opposing coaches have to scheme around. We've got a talented secondary, taking away a QBs ability to sit and wait all day would make our pass defense dangerous imo. Give Stafford a legitimate defense to go along with what he can do and we're right in the thick of things imo. 

I would have tried to trade for Mack if I was in charge, but I'm not in charge. 

Edit: That being said, it makes sense for Mack to go to a team like Chicago, they've got a QB on a rookie contract which leaves like 25+ million in cap room over a team like the Lions. 

You make valid points.

All I want to add is regardless of where you find the players the good ones get paid. 

1 hour ago, Superduperman said:

Go ahead and do what I did, go back 25 years and look at every player the Lions have drafted in the first round after pick 18, which is where they'd be with Mack on the team, imo.

Aside from Jarrad and Ragnow, who are still undefined (though Davis is not on a good track at the moment), I had to go back to Jeff Hartings to find a player I wouldn't trade for a bag of kicking tees.

Lions should have matched this deal without a second thought.

Kicking tees is a pretty useless trade. How many can you go through in a lifetime? I’m old but still using my first one.?

I would hold out for a water bucket or some other such trivial but useful item.

Quinn and Patricia are very steady, non flashy in their approach. It’s boring and if the past few years are any indication I will be dead before they win a playoff game. They will build slowly, methodically replacing expensive players with youngsters and it’s going to be slow. Caldwell might not have gotten over the hump but the team was at least competent most of the time.

I wasn’t going to watch pre season and I wish I hadn’t. It’s only pre season but it’s left me very concerned. Once again Lions football hacks my serenity.

With the rebirth of Detroit it would be nice to see a Lions team win a championship. 

• 09/03

The Detroit Lions sign DT John Atkins, CB Cre'von LeBlanc and DE Eric Lee to the team's practice squad.

• 09/03

The Detroit Lions waive LB Trevor Bates and sign LB Marquis Flowers.

• 09/02

The Detroit Lions sign LB Alex Barrett, CB Mike Ford, WR Chris Lacy, S Rolan Milligan, QB Jake Rudock, LB Darnell Sankey and OL Dan Skipper to the team's practice squad.

• 09/02

The Detroit Lions were awarded OL Andrew Donnal via waivers from the Baltimore Ravens and CB Dee Virgin via waivers from the Houston Texans.

• 09/02

The Detroit Lions waive C Leo Koloamatangi and T Brian Mihalik.

• 09/01

The Detroit Lions place WR Andy Jones on Reserve/Physically Unable to Perform.

• 09/01

The Detroit Lions place RB Zach Zenner on Reserve/Injured.

• 09/01

The Detroit Lions waive DE Alex Barrett, WR Jace Billingsley, LB Freddie Bishop, WR Dontez Ford, CB Mike Ford, CB Chris Jones, WR Chris Lacy, DT Jeremiah Ledbetter, S Rolan Milligan, QB Jake Rudock, LB Darnell Sankey, P Ryan Santoso, T Dan Skipper, RB Dwayne Washington.

Interesting names added and cut or waived. 

Archived