Training Camp Battle - Corner

DoleINGout

Cornerback's  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Which corners are locks to make the team?

• Stephone Gilmore
    • Duke Dawson
    • Eric Rowe
    • Jonathan Jones
    • Keion Crossen
    • Jason McCourty
    • JC Jackson
    • Ryan Lewis
    • Cyrus Jones
    • Jomal Wiltz

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/08/2018 at 08:51 PM

Who makes it this year? Keion Crossen was drafted in the seventh round and Duke Dawson in the second. JC Jackson was signed undrafted after a great year at Maryland. All three appear to be locks to me. Then you have returning starter Stephone Gilmore and special teamer Jonathan Jones who is currently on the "PUP". Jason McCourty was acquired by essentially exchanging picks with the Browns, will he make it though? And which guys from the secondary will earn a spot of the Practice Squad? Apparently Ryan Lewis is an early favorite for that role. What becomes of Cyrus Jones?

The only two locks IMO are Gilmore (who is apparently burning it down in TC right now) and Jason McCourty. The battle for pecking order is what most interests me right now. I dont know about any one you, but I came into camp thinking it was going to be Jason and Gilmore as the starting two. Reports out of camp right now is that Eric Rowe is FIRMLY ahead of Jason for the #2 outside corner. Duke is also impressing at the nickel/slot corner spot, making McCourty tumble all the way to 4th man on the pecking order as it currently stands. 

Rowe is standing out opposite Gilmore so each are locks. Duke Dawson is a lock idc @Deadpulse. He is a second round pick from three months ago. Plus, like you said, he is performing well in the slot already, (again, unsurprisingly). Dawson and Gilmore are my only locks to make the roster but Rowe is essentially already a lock too. I don't see JC Jackson or deventh round pick Keion Crossen getting cut either.

14 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:
  • Stephone Gilmore
  • Duke Dawson
  • Eric Rowe
  • Jonathan Jones
  • Keion Crossen
  • Jason McCourty

Thats my group come regular season

I think this is a very solid group. Hopefully JC Jackson wouldn't get claimed by another team off waiver.

22 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

I think this is a very solid group. Hopefully JC Jackson wouldn't get claimed by another team off waiver.

I think the Patriots keep J.C. He's been impressive and they might not be willing to let him get Austin Carr-ed. He's got some potential, for an UDFA. Looks like a good group.

I think the locks are Stephon Gilmore, Duke Dawson, and Jonathan Jones. Gilmore's on a big contract and is easily the No. 1 cornerback. He's a lock. Dawson was a second round pick this year. You don't cut a second round pick unless he does really poorly. Jones, I think, is a lock because of his ability both on defense and special teams. Jones is one of the team's best gunners alongside Slater, so he should make the roster on that alone. Also, Jones is a feisty, aggressive, and fast (4.31 40) corner who can cover No. 2 guys like Calvin Ridley and John Ross better than Rowe or McCourty could. 

I don't think Rowe or McCourty are locks because they're competing for the spot of the physical "big guy" No. 2 cornerback, so if one looks really good, the other might not offer enough to make the roster compared to Crossen or Jackson. I think both make it, that's just a thought. I think Crossen and J.C. Jackson will also make the roster because both are phenomenal athletically and have been impressive. 

18 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

I expect Gilmore-Rowe-McCourty to be the top guys.

Define top guys though. I think, as it stands right now, snap counts will show Gilmore, Rowe, and Dawson as the "top guys". However if Rowe were to get hurt, I think McCourty sees more snaps than Dawson as Dawsons role likely doesnt change. 

Just now, DoleINGout said:

Dawson is going to excel inside like Bradley Roby of the Broncos but Dawson is an extremely capable boundary defender. Maybe even better than as a slot guy.

Same Keion Crossen, but Crossen will probably be limited to the slot for a while.

CB: Jackson

CB: Dawson

NB: Crossen

is a very likely future starting secondary. Gilmore has an option after this season or next where he can be cut at no net loss to allocate money to guys that might get extentions soon.

Don’t hear much about Dawson, how is he doing? — @JDoe3400 The Patriots clearly like second-round rookie cornerback Duke Dawson, because he’s been the team’s top slot cornerback, but he hasn’t specifically stood out much in camp so far. He was beat twice in 1-on-1 drills by Patriots slot receiver Riley McCarron on Thursday. Even if Dawson wins the top slot role, he still might not be close to being an every-down player. I still expect the Patriots to use three safeties rather than three cornerbacks in their base defense.

https://nesn.com/2018/08/patriots-mailbag-which-former-longshot-has-best-chance-to-crack-roster/

45 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

Dawson is matched up against McCarron, who has been running with first team offense since Matthews went down, (maybe even a bit before that). This means Dawson is starting on defense in the slot, as has been reported. It's crazy to think Dawson is only 21 years old. He has been with the Patriots just barely over three months and is learning so much. Once he can react instead of think, he will shine.

https://patriotswire.usatoday.com/2018/08/02/rookie-duke-dawson-feels-like-little-brother-in-starting-defensive-backfield/

Dawson added: “From seeing myself in the spring to now, I see a big improvement. Studying film, I feel comfortable making calls and communicating with everyone. I’m just starting to feel like myself.”

The Patriots drafted Dawson in the second round of the 2018 draft out of the University of Florida. The 21-year-old may have a lot of growing up to do — but he seems to have the right attitude in pursuing that growth.

Keion Crossen is a guy I mock drafted to the Patriots and am really hopeful can stick around. He seems to be made of all the right stuff to work out in the NFL, but at his size and the crowded position he plays, Crossen looks to be a long shot. I still expect Crossen to earn a position on the final roster, however the liklihood of him being "stashed" on Injured Reserve of PUP is moderate to high.

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/patriots/long-shots-keion-crossen-gets-out-good-start-first-camp

Archived