Update: Urban Meyer suspended 3 games

IDOG_det

Discuss everything related to the Urban Meyer/Ohio State/Zach Smith domestic violence scandal in this thread. This story will likely play out for a while so we'll have one thread for the topic.

Great piece by Michael McCann, a sports law expert that worked with Ed O'Bannon, edited the handbook on Sports Law, legal analyst for SI, etc. https://www.si.com/college-football/2018/08/01/urban-meyer-zach-smith-ohio-state-legal-contract-firing-paid-leave

"There are a number of legal questions that various stakeholders will attempt to answer in the approaching days, weeks and months. One is whether Urban Meyer and/or Shelley Meyer may have failed to adhere to reporting obligations under the Title IX (as well as reporting obligations under the Clery Act and Title VII) and, if so, the potential ramifications for them and Ohio State. As with other Ohio State employees who supervise students, both Urban Meyer, as head coach of the Ohio State football team, and Shelley Meyer, as an instructor in Ohio State’s College of Nursing, are required to make timely reports of certain allegations of sexual violence and harassment to relevant university administrators. Those administrators include Ohio State’s Title IX coordinator and, in the case of Urban Meyer’s reporting, athletic director Gene Smith. "

"Should Ohio State at some point move to fire Meyer with cause, he would almost certainly then sue the school for breach of contract. Meyer would stress, among other points, that Smith was not convicted of any crimes. In addition, Meyer would argue that he was under no legal obligation to fire Smith and that none of Meyer’s superiors instructed him to fire Smith. Meyer might also express or imply that other university officials, such as the athletic director, general counsel and dean-level administrators, had multiple opportunities to learn of, and respond appropriately to, the allegations against Smith. To the extent Meyer could implicate other university officials in any wrongdoing, the school might seek to avert a lawsuit and negotiate a settlement with him."

I’m probably in the small group that thinks this doesn’t jeopardize his job. Obviously, I do think it’s lousy of him if he either did not report what he heard/saw or if he lied to the media last week. However, this isn’t a legal cover up issue as with PSU, on more serious allegations. Smith has the police involved, as far as I am aware. This is a program issue, not a legal one.

Terrible look, nonetheless.

I don't think this will effect his job status either, but a program/university who draws the line at lying/covering up kids getting free tats but is more forgiving of a coach who lied about/covered up the fact that one of his assistant coaches was beating up his wife, is such a terrible look that I'm not sure it wouldn't make more sense to just cut your losses and part ways. That's a stain that's not coming out, especially not while Urban Meyer is still employed. 

Just now, THE DUKE said:

Were charges ever filed back in 2015?  If not, then you can't really fire him for not firing someone over allegations that never led to an arrest or charges.

He's required to report abuse/suspected abuse whether charges were filed or not.  Mike MacIntyre at Colorado just went through something similar and kept his job.

4 minutes ago, PAW said:

He's required to report abuse/suspected abuse whether charges were filed or not.  Mike MacIntyre at Colorado just went through something similar and kept his job.

Yeah, the nonreporting part (assuming that’s the case) is the issue. 

As far as we know, the police were involved and did their investigation, so that part is moot. It’s the employment aspect for Smith that is the issue and whether Meyer kept the info from moving up the chain. 

Terrible look on Meyer however this turns out. I do think he keeps his status unless things snowball and more info comes out. Certainly adds a stain to his name though. 

1 minute ago, NateDawg said:

As far as we know, the police were involved and did their investigation, so that part is moot. It’s the employment aspect for Smith that is the issue and whether Meyer kept the info from moving up the chain. 

Terrible look on Meyer however this turns out. I do think he keeps his status unless things snowball and more info comes out. Certainly adds a stain to his name though. 

For casual fans, definitely.  For footballs fans, I don't think his reputation can get much worse.  He allegedly covered up far worse things at Florida.

I think the rumor-mill is always going to be rampant about any big-time program. I.e. people down south swearing that UGA is paying recruits right now. This particular issue with Urban has legs, so you can take it at its face. And I agree that Meyer did have a generally negative stigma with the way UFs program was. As far as individual rumors though, it’s hard to make any judgment on them. 

11 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

Yes, 100% the nonreporting. And this is a particularly obvious case with reporting. Urban knew Smith's history and was in real-time communication with the victim (albeit indirect).

Instead of saying "moot", I would say that the police investigation isn't relevant to the OSU side of the story. I would imagine the Columbus PD are getting inquiries about what leads they had and how they followed up as we speak.

"I have ignored my health for years, but recent developments have forced me to reevaluate my priorities of faith and family. I'm proud to be a part of the Gainesville Columbus community and the Gator Buckeye Nation and I plan to remain in Gainesville Columbus and involved with the University of Florida The Ohio State University."

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Yes, 100% the nonreporting. And this is a particularly obvious case with reporting. Urban knew Smith's history and was in real-time communication with the victim (albeit indirect).

Instead of saying "moot", I would say that the police investigation isn't relevant to the OSU side of the story. I would imagine the Columbus PD are getting inquiries about what leads they had and how they followed up as we speak.

As a Columbus Police Officer I can tell you that if there’s probable cause for an arrest on a DV, charges would have been immediately filed. If there’s a question, the report goes to a detective and the prosecutor, and charges still would have been filed very quickly. I don’t know specifically what the factors were in this case that might have negated things legally. 

Not sure what Meyer was thinking on this one. Not that it would be right in any case, but Smith isn’t exactly one worth falling on the sword for.

Just now, NateDawg said:

As a Columbus Police Officer I can tell you that if there’s probable cause for an arrest on a DV, charges would have been immediately filed. If there’s a question, the report goes to a detective and the prosecutor, and charges still would have been filed very quickly. I don’t know specifically what the factors were in this case that might have negated things legally. 

And this is the part of this where I get lost. You have a credible victim, photographic evidence of injuries, a suspect with this history already, and while you don't have any direct witnesses, you do have people like Shelley Meyer who would hold weight in a courtroom and can speak to the abuse.

I'm not saying it's a layup conviction, but probable cause has been established with a whole hell of a lot less. Which is why I'm expecting the Columbus PD to get questions about this.

I'm also expecting inside scoop by the way.

Archived