Update: Urban Meyer suspended 3 games

IDOG_det

1 minute ago, WeaponX said:

1) Ohio State found evidence Urban knew in 2015 and admits as much.

2) Ohio State claims Gene Smith and Urban Meyer simply didn’t know that you still have to report it even if law enforcement isn’t involved.

3) Ohio State claims that we are to believe that Urban Meyer simply forgot the 2015 incident when he lied at the 2018 Big Ten Media Day.

4) Ohio State is using the “forgot” narrative to claim that Urban didn’t lie at Big Ten Media Day.

So basically, Meyer and Smith did things wrong but they like how much Meyer wins to fire him. 

And Ohio States thinks people are going to buy this “forgot” narrative.

Disgusting.

hey look, a really good take that has reasoning behind it and doesnt just jump to conclusions. maybe we can learn from this @ramssuperbowl99?

urban should be fired. its not enough to do the bare minimum and simply report. he should know whats acceptable and whats not, him passing the buck again shouldnt have flown this time around.

1 minute ago, GSUeagles14 said:

urban should be fired. its not enough to do the bare minimum and simply report

I can't agree with this line of thought. First simply be definition if not doing something is fireable then that is included in doing the bare minimum. The means that doing the bare minimum means you shouldn't be fired. Secondly, I'm sick of forcing coaches to do stuff out of their expertise because it is "right." No the right thing to do is make sure that the proper people are told, by you, so they can do their jobs and investigate. That is exactly what you should be doing; no more, no less.

1 minute ago, mse326 said:

I can't agree with this line of thought. First simply be definition if not doing something is fireable then that is included in doing the bare minimum. The means that doing the bare minimum means you shouldn't be fired. Secondly, I'm sick of forcing coaches to do stuff out of their expertise because it is "right." No the right thing to do is make sure that the proper people are told, by you, so they can do their jobs and investigate. That is exactly what you should be doing; no more, no less.

The bare minimum was to report. That was the expectation in his contract with Ohio State, and he was aware, but didn't report it per the investigation.

Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

The bare minimum was to report. That was the expectation in his contract with Ohio State, and he was aware, but didn't report it per the investigation.

I'm not talking about this case and the facts of it specifically; I'm talking in general. Particularly I was replying to the assertion he should be fired because it isn't enough to do the bare minimum and report (which again I was responding to as general statement rather than whether he actually did that).

If he did not do what he was supposed to (I haven't had a chance to read the findings yet) then I'd have no problem if they fired him.

Actual (probable) conversation between the Board of Trustees:

"Well, let's be honest, we've known all along what we're going to do here. We're going to suspend Urban with pay, launch an "independent investigation", and then suspend him. What, are we really going to pay him $40 million NOT to coach football? Since technically he did the minimum, we don't have "cause" do fire him, so we won't...plus he's really good at winning football games. We need to suspend him for multiple games. Also, we need to make it look good, like we actually are trying to "hurt" ourselves...so let's suspend him for 3 games since TCU is the 3rd game on the schedule, even though if it was the 2nd a 2 game suspension would suffice."

1 minute ago, mse326 said:

I'm not talking about this case and the facts of it specifically; I'm talking in general. Particularly I was replying to the assertion he should be fired because it isn't enough to do the bare minimum and report (which again I was responding to as general statement rather than whether he actually did that).

If he did not do what he was supposed to (I haven't had a chance to read the findings yet) then I'd have no problem if they fired him.

Fair enough.

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

Tell me he didn't really say this!

Unfortunately he's not wrong. A "I can't comment on past firings and ongoing legal matters/investigations" would have meant this is a non issue a month ago. That's the reality of the word we live in.

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

Tell me he didn't really say this!

I’m not exactly a proponent of today’s pitchfork culture, but the fact Meyer isn’t the lead headline on CNN and other outlets after all of his comments like this one astounds me.

Archived