9. Weighing all of the evidence available to us, including Coach
Meyer’s answers and demeanor when questioned during the Independent
Investigation, we find, first, that Coach Meyer, at Big Ten Media Days,
misstated his lack of knowledge of all relevant events regarding alleged
domestic violence by Zach Smith in 2015. Second, although it is a close
question and we cannot rule out that Coach Meyer was intentionally
misleading in his answers, we do not ultimately find that he was. He clearly
misspoke and made misstatements, but the reasons that happened are
complex. Coach Meyer did not, in our view, deliberately lie. 

I literally have no CFB loyalty, so take it FWIW.   Let's recap:

1.  We know Meyer lied when he said at Media Day he had no prior knowledge of Smith's problems.

2.  McMurphy's exposé is very damning, and not challenged in its veracity.

3.  Furthermore, we now know this:

4.  And as per McMurphy (who seems pretty reliable lol):

Add it up, anyone who thinks Meyer didn't deserve a suspension is kidding themselves.   He's lucky he wasn't fired.   Let's face it, if this wasn't one of the winningest coaches in the game, he'd have been canned.   

Again, I've literally got no dog in this show, so take it FWIW.

30 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

I read it in less than 15 minutes. Not my idea of "prohibitively long" tbh. Ohio State was intentionally dishonest to avoid any more damage.

That may have been their attempt but I tend to this actually makes more damage. 

1. These are now being thrown out and their veracity questioned with no opportunity for rebuttal.
2. Now they will have to answer these questions later and this will linger even longer
3. Reporters now have even more time to digest and research these findings to ask better, more pointed questions with previous claims/findings to counter explanations.

Terrible move I think from the PR people.

15 minutes ago, mse326 said:

That may have been their attempt but I tend to this actually makes more damage. 

1. These are now being thrown out and their veracity questioned with no opportunity for rebuttal.
2. Now they will have to answer these questions later and this will linger even longer
3. Reporters now have even more time to digest and research these findings to ask better, more pointed questions with previous claims/findings to counter explanations.

Terrible move I think from the PR people.

Agreed.

This whole situation was handled terribly. Stunning that for the past few weeks, OSU websites, homers, and blogs have been stewing with victim-blaming, reporter discrediting, and so much more.

And after the press conference, literally all of it is corroborated including the report of Zach’s grandfather talking Courtney out of pressing charges.

Very concerning.

I think alot of people have been confused on the 2015 incident

there are two incident's we're talking about 

A: there's the felony incident which is what Urban was asked about at Big 10

B: then there was the 2015 that Smith's wife is talking about 

that needs to be understood in terms of what Meyer did not know about which was situation A

and that confused people when he said he knew nothing of the situation in 2015

when situation B was in 2015 which is what he acted on 

It's really quite sad that they had a real opportunity to make a real statement and decided to just shoulder the mountains of **** PR for a few weeks until they believe collective consciousness forgets about what happened. News flash, they won't.

To not even release the report for fact finding and follow up questioning is such a terrible move. If the NCAA had a sack they'd do something but the NCAA doesn't even care if a student athlete is worked to death so this is all we're gonna get.

And I'm reading now that he can basically do everything but coach in the actual game for the last two games of the suspension? Then what the ever loving hell is even the point of this, it's so transparently just pure damage control to try and brush culpability aside and go "we're trying see" without actually doing anything. If the national sports media had any kind of fortitude this would be something he and the university and the program were hammered over every single week, no "we're past that now, back to football shhhh go away".

35 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

And I'm reading now that he can basically do everything but coach in the actual game for the last two games of the suspension? Then what the ever loving hell is even the point of this, it's so transparently just pure damage control to try and brush culpability aside and go "we're trying see" without actually doing anything. If the national sports media had any kind of fortitude this would be something he and the university and the program were hammered over every single week, no "we're past that now, back to football shhhh go away".

The suspension in itself is ridiculous. There should really only be two camps: You back him and he’s not to blame or he is at fault and you fire him. But how can you say he’s at fault and hand out a suspension? I think we’d all agree it was spineless Administration.

As for the involvement aspect, I’m not actually surprised by that. He’s going about five weeks of off-season of being told he can’t be near the team. That’s the point in time all leading up to the year. The damage is done there. I believe Danny Davis is fully involved in UW team activities right now also, unless I misheard. Here’s a guy who allegedly video’d a rape and is allowed to be around the team with only a 2-day consequence and no suspension during the investigation.

There’s not much of an NCAA Football precedent for coach suspensions like this one, but I believe most player suspensions are similar.

18 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Yeah, OSU should commit to either side. Either you think he did nothing wrong at all and give him no suspension. If you think he did something bad, fire him. Don’t do this down the line crap because you’re not pleasing the lynch mob.

They were never gonna please the lynch mob though.

2 minutes ago, malibuspeedrace said:

They were never gonna please the lynch mob though.

Well allow us to apologize to Buckeye Nation for everything they have endured at the hands of the lynch mob. All is well now. 

Archived