How bad will targeting ejections be this season?

Bolts223

40 minutes ago, Bolts223 said:

I have a really bad feeling that the main continuing controversy this season is going to be BS ejections due to the new rule on targeting. 

Please convince me that I'm wrong.

My worry is twofold - not only is it a new rule in principle, there are a lot of new refs out there to interpret it following the retirement of several guys.

This will be a mess of a situation, IMO.

Davenport has had his hands full with terron armstead. Armstead has basically been owning him but davenport did get 1 sack on him. I guess this is a good thing because if he was desteoying armstead I would/should be more worried.

Our star rookie has been Tre'Quan Smith. Dude is looking like a freak, burning past corners, but also making crazy leaping catches. Challenging Ginn and Meredith for the #2 spot. 

9 hours ago, ET80 said:

My worry is twofold - not only is it a new rule in principle, there are a lot of new refs out there to interpret it following the retirement of several guys.

counterpoint: having the new refs could be a benefit given rather than old refs now direly trying to relearn new rules the new refs can come in never having reffed this level with the old rules, so they can acclimatise to the new rules quicker?

3 hours ago, GamedayGuru said:

Davenport has had his hands full with terron armstead. Armstead has basically been owning him but davenport did get 1 sack on him. I guess this is a good thing because if he was desteoying armstead I would/should be more worried.

Our star rookie has been Tre'Quan Smith. Dude is looking like a freak, burning past corners, but also making crazy leaping catches. Challenging Ginn and Meredith for the #2 spot. 

wut

6 hours ago, Shady Slim said:

counterpoint: having the new refs could be a benefit given rather than old refs now direly trying to relearn new rules the new refs can come in never having reffed this level with the old rules, so they can acclimatise to the new rules quicker?

I don't disagree, but it's not like these guys are new to reffing completely - lot of them got their hours in coaching college, CFL, Arena, etc. A few just got "promoted" from other NFL based gigs too.  

So, they're new, but entrenched in their current mindset...

20 hours ago, ET80 said:

There was an undercurrent of unspoken commentary that you could pick up on in some of the retirement rhetoric. The Old Line refs think a lot of these new rules are  BS and Mike Periera backed em up on this. Not only are they lousy changes, but they put the refs in an even more difficult spot. The League certainly didn't want to deal with any pushback from the Silverback Refs publicly, while the new guys are easier to push around. This was a cleansing as much as anything and rather than battle the old guys - they simply made them an offer they couldn't refuse.

NFL to Veteran refs: Do as we say, or hit the bricks.

And for guys like Hochuli and Steratore, they chose the Golden Brick road

It will happen to a player on your team, and you will complain.

It will not happen to a player on another team, and you will complain again.

I think targeting in the NFL is really stupid, and it's going to cause a lot of negative attention on that rule, and then next year it'll be removed.

32 minutes ago, TheVillain112 said:

I'm going to be real salty when I see players on other teams not ejected for the same hit that Burfict will be ejected for...

This comment is quite revealing in terms of how NFL fans see it...

1) " Its a horrible rule !!!!"

2) "You better call it against our opponents !!!!"

Remember: The only  level playing field in Life... is a Cemetery

5 hours ago, ET80 said:

...it's not like these guys are new to reffing completely - lot of them got their hours in coaching college, CFL, Arena, etc.

But didn’t the replacement refs come from college too...

Archived