How're those Rookies Doing? TC/PS Edition

Chiefer

Quentin Nelson - been an absolute beast. So far I’ve only heard of one instance where a DL got one over on him and that was Al Woods. (Nelson 6’5” 325 lbs/ Woods 6’4” 330 lbs) otherwise I’ve heard of him being very quiet and not giving in to taunts of some DL trying to rattle his cage. 

Darius Leonard- missed all of OTAs because of a quad he injured running the 40 at the combine and then again during his Pro day. Intercepted Andrew Luck on the second day of camp.

Braden Smith - he’s been getting some reps at tackle and guard because of some guys who were missing. Haven’t heard anything good or bad. 

Kemoko Turay - haven’t heard a lot except that he’s been winning some one on ones. Castonzo (today) and Austin Howard (yesterday)  just returned to practice so he was going up against Le’Raven Clark, Tyreek Burwell and Denzel Good

Tyquan Lewis - heard nothing 

Nyheim Hines - the coaches have been lining him up as a WR for some looks as well as RB

Daurice (Reese) Fountain - nothing much other then someone said he’s likely going to be on special teams. 

Jordan Wilkins - nothing much 

Deon Cain - been flashing at camp, as soon as the buzz started getting loud he had a few drops. Much farther ahead then Fountain already. 

Matthew Adams and Zaire Franklin - nothing at all

Skai Moore - UDFA who is filling in for Anthony Walker in nickle formations with Darius Leonard. 

3 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Orlando Brown Jr: Has the starting Right Tackle position all but locked up, and is battling a talented group of pass rushers daily. Big strides have been made from OTAs to now.

I was incredibly frustrated that the Texans passed on him, felt he was the idea guy to play RT. Instead, we drafted Martinas Rankins, who will probably miss the majority of this season and never even crack the lineup...

11 hours ago, Chiefer said:

I guess Braxton is a lost cause

Yeah. He's got the physical tools, just don't think he's got the mental ones. WR in a Bill O'Brien offense is about pre snap reads, being on the same page with the QB - your route might not be set in stone until after you break the huddle and get a look at what the defense is showing. That sort of mental prep? It just doesn't seem like Miller has taken to it.

If this was a Gary Kubiak or Kyle Shanahan type offense which relies on creating throwing lanes from misdirection and play action while operating out of a traditional route tree, I think Miller would be a really good WR - if not a great one. 

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

I was incredibly frustrated that the Texans passed on him, felt he was the idea guy to play RT. Instead, we drafted Martinas Rankins, who will probably miss the majority of this season and never even crack the lineup...

Never have a combine workout hurt a player more, which might end up being the best thing happening for Brown. He came into a perfect situation, where his draft status most likely won't influence the expectations for him. He was one of my favorites in the draft, and while I know he will give up some easy sacks/hurries to the premier pass rushers in the league, I believe he will be a solid addition early and be a better player than Austin Howard almost immediately.

Training camp reports mean nothing.  For years I would read reports and get excited about sinorice moss, Ramses Barden, jerrell Jernigan, Travis beckum.  One year a defensive tackle named Jonas seawright was hyped up to legendary status in training camp. Oh you’ve never heard of him? Yea that’s because training camp reports never seem to correlate with the regular season - in my experience. 

4 hours ago, ET80 said:

I felt the same way about him for the Bengals.  But got pounded by others for it, especially on SBN.

Hope he does well.  Would have taken him in a heartbeat over Sam Hubbard in the third

Bears:

1. LB Roquan Smith - Chilling at home

2a. OL James Daniels - Splitting time between LG and C with the 2s and 3s. Has to beat out Eric Kush to win a starting job and sounds like Kush is doing nothing wrong, guessing preseason will decide who starts week one but right now it's Kush's job to lose. Daniels impressing in one-on-ones though.

2b. WR Anthony Miller - Easily the most impressive rookie at camp so far. Similar situation to Tarik Cohen last year whereby he's exciting the crowd and convincing people we might have something here. Showing excellent route running, hands and lining up in multiple positions, could be set for a lot of targets this season.

4. LB Joel Iyiegbuniwe - Injured

5. DE Bilal Nichols - Getting 3rd team reps at DE, yet to make too many splash plays.

6. OLB Kylie Fitts - Dealing with a slight arm injury at present but may be good to go for a few snaps tonight. Had impressed coaches early on in camp, pure pass rusher and will need to work on coverage skills to play regularly in Fangio's scheme, but with a thin OLB corps he could see a decent amount of playing time this season.

7. WR Javon Wims - Up and down, noticeably raw due to being fairly new to football. Tough battle to make the roster as WR6, possible Practice Squad player.

1 hour ago, INbengalfan said:

I felt the same way about him for the Bengals.  But got pounded by others for it, especially on SBN.

Hope he does well.  Would have taken him in a heartbeat over Sam Hubbard in the third

You guys  have an even bigger need at RT than us. Atleast we have Hurst, Yanda or maybe even Alex Lewis who could be moved to RT. You guys have, what, Ogbuehi left who earlier in his career wouldn't play RT or something.

Is Billy Price in TC or is he still taking care of his torn pec?

2 hours ago, TitanSlim said:

Can any Eagles fans tell me how Josh Sweat is looking? I was one of his biggest supporters over at the Titans forum, and wasn't against taking him in the first round. Hopefully he's making me look somewhat smart early on lol.

https://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2018/07/josh_sweat_already_looking_like_a_steal_for_eagles_training.html

1 hour ago, Gmen said:

Training camp reports mean nothing.  For years I would read reports and get excited about sinorice moss, Ramses Barden, jerrell Jernigan, Travis beckum.  One year a defensive tackle named Jonas seawright was hyped up to legendary status in training camp. Oh you’ve never heard of him? Yea that’s because training camp reports never seem to correlate with the regular season - in my experience. 

Everything that you hear out of camp is usually positive. On the rare occasion you hear something negative, it's usually disastrous.

Billy Price - Entrenched as the starting Center.  Working on bad snaps but otherwise has been solid
Jessie Bates III - Have heard next to nothing about him
Sam Hubbard - Haven't heard much about him either.  Some early praise in mini-camp about how advanced he is.  Also got a "sack" yesterday on Cordy Glenn in 11-on-11 drills.
Malik Jefferson - Heard he's looked physical, that's about it
Mark Walton - Flashing a bit so far
Davontae Harris - Just got activated
Andrew Brown - Hurt recently in practice, not sure to what extent
Darius Phillips - Getting an opportunity on kick/punt returns
Logan Woodside - DUI, and getting no playing time (4th QB on the depth chart).  Most likely PS player
Rod Taylor - Hurt, done for the year
Auden Tate - One of the stars of training camp so far.  Highlights like the below every day at camp...

Archived