baker still hasnt thrown an int
corbett is starting LG
ward is starting CB
chubb apparently cant block but looks great running
genard avery looks like a steal in the 5th
nothing on chad thomas
callaway seemingly does pretty well in camp
nothing really about ratley or the other cb we drafted

Minkah Fitzpatrick has been solid. He's basically the leader of the second-team defense. Made a lot of plays early and has received praise for his intelligence. The emergence of TJ McDonald and Torry Mctyer though may keep him from cracking the starting unit. A lot of good players at DB down here.

Mike Gesicki was quiet initially during mini-camp but has come along lately in training camp. He's getting a lot more burn with two experienced TEs down with injuries but is also taking advantage catching several TDs in the past week. His blocking is still an issue though. Wont start but will be mismatch nightmare.

Jerome Baker is also solid. Struggled early but has come on strong on the 2nd team sticking with TEs and RBs and has been praised for his secure tackling. According to the coaches, he isnt physically ready yet. Beast on ST though.

Durham Smythe started off slow but it's clear that he belongs. His blocking is perhaps the best on the team at TE. Probably going to be the 3rd or 4th TE.

Kallen Ballage all I will say is prepare your LBs and Safeties. Outside of Minkah, hes maybe performing the best out of the rookies. Makes a play or two every session-- 40 yrd receiving TD today.

Cornell Armstrong havent heard a peep.

Quentin Poling picked off some passes last week and has impressee. Think hes going to a be ST contributor.

Jason Sanders is our kicker. Doesnt have much competition. Some concerns.

3 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

That's good to hear.  I'm glad I kept him rated as a high 1st round pick.  I know many jumped off his bandwagon after a bad 2017 season and the poor combine.  But his tape in 2016 was absolutely amazing.

I kinda wish I would have kept him rated higher than Bradley Chubb.  Cause if I was being honest with myself Arden Key in 2016 looked better than Chubb in 2017.  I just let the athletic testing and the poor 2017 season knock down Arden Key slightly. 

7 minutes ago, VanS said:

That's good to hear.  I'm glad I kept him rated as a high 1st round pick.  I know many jumped off his bandwagon after a bad 2017 season and the poor combine.  But his tape in 2016 was absolutely amazing.

I kinda wish I would have kept him rated higher than Bradley Chubb.  Cause if I was being honest with myself Arden Key in 2016 looked better than Chubb in 2017.  I just let the athletic testing and the poor 2017 season knock down Arden Key slightly. 

I am very excited for him to eventually learn from Mack. Bruce Irvin has been by his side almost all of camp and is really taking the guy under his wing. It'll be nice to have the trio intact this season (hopefully). 

10 hours ago, Danand said:

You guys  have an even bigger need at RT than us. Atleast we have Hurst, Yanda or maybe even Alex Lewis who could be moved to RT. You guys have, what, Ogbuehi left who earlier in his career wouldn't play RT or something.

Is Billy Price in TC or is he still taking care of his torn pec?

Price was cleared after OTAs and has taken every starter's snap.  Fisher is still around for the RT spot too. We signed hart from the Giants for competition, which is what he will offer, as the threesome of Ogbuehi/Fisher/Hart were all among the 10 lowest raked tackles on PFF last year.  

On 8/1/2018 at 2:51 PM, Chiefer said:

The name of the site says it all hows your favorite teams rookies doing?

1st used on Mahomes. Whos looking good so far in camp. Testing and learning, very coachable.

2) Breeland Speaks DE/DT/OLB -

been solid so far. Hasnt been terrible.

3) Derrick Nnadi - DT/NT

Run stopper as advertised. Hurt his elbow today.

3) Dorian O'Daniel - S/LB

Needs to catch up to the speed of the game on 3rd string.

4) Armani Watts - S

Hurt his ankle but made it back out there this week. Earned some 1st team reps always a good sign

5) Tremon Smith - CB

3rd string doubling as a kick returner

6) Kahlil McKenzie - G

Position switch from defense. Heard hes picking things up well.

Its early so ill update more as time goes on.

Haven't heard much on how Speaks has been doing. Have been hearing quite a bit of positive talk about Kpass this year. Speaks will probably be a rotational player this season.The entire OLB opposite of Houston will likely rotate. 

Nnadi will be a beast inside against the run. Williams (FA pickup) has also been impressive. Those two should form a nice rotation.

O'Daniel isn't coming along as well as I hoped. Hopefully that changes. 

Tremon Smith has flashed quite a bit as CB and returner. GM Brett Veach apparently believes they found a steal here. 

I haven't heard much about McKenzie but i'm probably more intrigued and hopeful that this guy pays off. Veach is very high on him as well. Switching from defense to offense, I don't see him making a huge impact this year and it wouldn't surprise me if they try to sneak him on the practice squad either. 

1st: D.J. Moore, WR, Maryland
Has looked every bit the part of the first wideout taken in the draft. I'm pretty sure the plan is to start the year with Devin Funchess and Torrey Smith as the starters, but based on his performance in camp so far, I'd be surprised if Moore isn't starting by mid-season.

2nd: Donte Jackson, CB, LSU
Has been thrust into a battle for the starting CB job that was assumed to be Ross Cockrell's prior to his broken leg early in camp and, somewhat surprisingly, has looked really solid. The plan seemed to initially be to have him compete for the nickel job, but he's actually been looking very good playing outside, breaking up passes left and right. The one receive he seems to have had some struggles against? D.J. Moore.

3rd: Rashaan Gaulden, S, Tennessee
Was always going to be brought along slowly as he makes the transition from college corner to NFL safety. There's been some good and some bad, as you would expect. I'm skeptical that we can give him a 'redshirt' year as a rookie given our awful safety situation, so I suppose it's good that he hasn't been a complete trainwreck so far, but he remains an unknown at this point.

4th: Ian Thomas, TE, Indiana
Probably our most impressive rookie so far in camp, particularly given expectations that he wouldn't contribute much right away. That seems to be out the window and he appears to be a lock for our #2 TE spot behind Greg Olsen. There was talk during rookie minicamp/OTAs that he looked a lot more ready to contribute early as a pro than his draft profile suggested, but his performance in camp so far has exceeded even that. Really excited to see how he develops after these early reports.

4th: Marquis Haynes, DE, Mississippi
I was not a fan of this pick as I felt like he was too small to be an effective pass rusher in the NFL and, if he was going to make it, it'd probably be for a team that runs a 3-4 defense. I'm happy to say he seems to be putting those doubts to bed. While he hasn't been dominant or anything, his explosiveness off the edge has been one of the stories of camp so far. I still don't ever see him being a full-time starter at his size, but if he can bring the kind of explosiveness he's showing in camp to gameday as a situational pass rusher, he'll have been well worth the pick.

5th: Jermaine Carter, LB, Maryland
Reports have generally been positive regarding Carter, particularly given he seems to have embraced his role on special teams.

7th: Andre Smith, LB, North Carolina
Much like Jermaine Carter, Smith seems destined for a role on special teams, but - also like Carter - he has flashed a few times as part of the 2nd team defense as well.

7th: Kendrick Norton, DL, Miami (FL)
I haven't heard much about him, positive or negative. Preseason will be key for his chances of making the roster given we already have pretty solid depth at DT.

1) Terrell Edmunds -Has played SS while Burrnett was out and now mostly playing the extra safety/ILB in the Big Nickle.  Has 4 INTs in camp and is proving to be very good in coverage and against the run.

2) James Washington - Has continued to make Rudolph look good catching almost all contested balls thrown in his direction.  Depending on how well he learns the playbook, a good bet the the #3 WR.

3a) Mason Rudolph - Is learning and looks like a rookie QB at times.  Dobbs looks like he will be getting on with his life's work or, if lucky, move to the practice squad.

3b) Chuk Okorafor has done very well for such a raw OT.  Mostly playing swing tackle but has stepped in as 1st team LT when Villi was hurt for a day.  Has a lot of strength.  Needs to learn to use his hands and feet.

5) Marcus Allen - Has looked decent but has only played in the Big Nickle as a extra SS/ILB.

6) Jaylen Samuels - Has been all he was advertised as a runner and pass catcher.  Had some issues with blocking .

7) Joshua Frazier - Has looked fine in camp.  Battling Dan McCullers for the last DL spot.

UDFA Matthew Thomas is looking very good in camp.  Most expect him to make the team.

UDFA Damoun Patterson (WR Youngstown St.) Is making a very good impression at camp.  Has done well when he has run with the 1st team.  Could play his way onto the PS.

On 8/2/2018 at 5:14 PM, Ajayii said:

Mike Gesicki was quiet initially during mini-camp but has come along lately in training camp. He's getting a lot more burn with two experienced TEs down with injuries but is also taking advantage catching several TDs in the past week. His blocking is still an issue though. Wont start but will be mismatch nightmare.

I hope they do not expect Gesicki to block like a TE.  He is really a very tall slot WR.

Dallas Goedert-  Where you expect him to be. Catches anything thrown his way but has his good and bad reps blocking still. Should get a lot of red zone reps this season.

Avonte Maddox- Haven't really heard much about him but there is a lot of overall praise for how the secondary has played. Could be a guy that gets a phantom injury and put on IR in a few weeks.

Josh Sweat- If the ankle injury he suffered the other day is only a minor thing I fully expect him to win the preseason sack race. 

Matt Pryor- Probably the star rookie of camp. Gets love and praise every day. Could be the primary back up at OG this year with Vaitai being the swing tackle.

Jordan Mailata- Kind of what you would expect from a guy playing football for the first time in his life. 

So yeah of 5 rookies 3 look great not a bad haul. 

2 hours ago, jebrick said:

I hope they do not expect Gesicki to block like a TE.  He is really a very tall slot WR.

No not at all. The staff knows that his blocking is an issue and have used him accordingly; hes been used in the slot, out-wide, FB, etc. He has gotten better at picking up blitz according to reports and that's pretty much all they'll ask him to do for now.

1. Rashaad Penny RB : Chris Carson still has the edge going into the Pre Season, but Penny should still factor heavily in the running game. Been the highlight of the second team offense thus far.

2. Rasheem Green DE : Currently hurt. Shame too since the position is really thin right now [Dion Jordan, Frank Clark and Marcus Smith all out]. He is still a pup, so even when healthy he will probably be brought into the rotation slowly.

3. Will Dissly TE: Russell Wilson says Will is killing it at camp. So yeah pretty good.

4. Shaquem Griffin LB: Getting some reps on the first team defense. Speed and coverage ability has been talked about.

5. Tre Flowers DB : Making the switch to corner cant be easy. Seen his name attached to alot of Brandon Marshall touchdowns. Baptism by fire I guess. Haha.

6. Michael Dickerson P : Barring a collapse, he should win the job. If anything because of $$$.

7. Jacob Martin DE : Jordan, M. Smith, F. Clark and R. Green have all been injured, so Martin should have alot of opportunities. 

8. Jamarco Jones T : Heard good things about him thus far. Slotted as Duane Browns backup at LT. 

9. Alex McGlough QB : Austin Davis has been better, so Alex will probably be on PS.

Archived