How're those Rookies Doing? TC/PS Edition

Chiefer

For the 49ers: 

Mike McGlinchey - playing with the 1's, and as suspected, appears to be the starter at right tackle. There appear to be some ups and downs with him, some struggles in the 1 on 1's, but appears to be good in the run game so far. Pretty much as advertised as a  prospect. 

Dante Pettis - Unless you're listening to Grant Cohn, Pettis appears to be having a great camp. He's been very adept at creating a lot of separation against the defensive backs. He won't get higher than #3 on the depth chart to start off, but if he's as real as he's letting on, the 49ers receiving corps will be the best it has been in years. He's not going to rip the ball away from some of the DBs, but he can create a good amount of space in a short time. 

Fred Warner - looks legit in coverage, not sure how he's handling everything else, though I believe he has largely been playing MIKE with Foster at WILL. I don't think he's going to begin the season as a starter, though. 

Tarvarius Moore - Honestly, haven't heard much if anything about Moore at this point. I think the one time I heard of him doing something, it was a negative and getting beat. Another 9er fan may have more info, but sounds like he hasn't been nearly as impressive as the other defensive back we selected. 

Kentavius Street - injury redshirt

DJ Reed - Most of the talk has been positive. Sticky in coverage, a couple of interceptions. He's the back up "free safety" and nickel corner at this point, which is interesting given that the team still has Jimmie Ward (who of course, is once again injured). 

Marcell Harris - been injured, hasn't practiced much. I think he recently just got cleared. 

Jullian Taylor - a SPARQ score stud to take a flyer on. Believe it or not, he's looked pretty good and even got bumped up to playing with the 1's after Armstead's injury. I don't think that he cracks a rotation consistently, but he may make the team, but seems like at least a lock for the PS, which is good. 

Richie James - was getting rave reviews while filling in for Trent Taylor. Robert Mays of the ringer said he was an absolute stud. Unfortunately for him, could be very hard to crack the roster because as I said, this is a receiver group, that while not having a superstar, is pretty deep. Garcon, Pettis, Goodwin, Taylor are locks. Kendrick Bourne has looked fine, so that leaves james fighting for the final receiver spot largely against Burbridge as a special teams stud. 

So, after a game - a few names to note:

- Jordan Akins caught two passes for 20 yards and two TDs. Guy showed shake in his route, was able to outrun some DBs to get open and made the play when his number was called. Good showing.

- Troymaine Pope is the Dion Lewis that Bill O'Brien needs in his offense. Small, but really quick and has a burst in his run, just really hit another gear once he had some space. He's got a golden opportunity to make the squad as th satellite back.

- Duke Ejiofor? Man, guy really showed up. Has a devastating spin move coming off the edge. Once that stopped working, he had this really nice jab and under move that was raising hell out there. There's not many snaps to hand out with Clowney and Mercilius at OLB, but Ejiofor is making a case for some snaps. He's not overly athletic, but he gets the nuances of pass rushing.

baker mayfield - everything we could have asked for
denzel ward - hits hard, already starting, so i guess pretty good
austin corbett- already starting at LG, so i guess pretyt good?
nick chubb - #2, had a rough day yesterday but the run blocking of our 2nd unit seemed pretty bad so, maybe not his fault
chad thomas - havent heard anything
antonio callaway - stay sober, young one; very fast
genard avery - apparently doin well
others dont really matter

On 8/5/2018 at 2:08 PM, jebrick said:

UDFA Matthew Thomas is looking very good in camp.  Most expect him to make the team.

What position?

On 8/5/2018 at 2:08 PM, jebrick said:

UDFA Damoun Patterson (WR Youngstown St.) Is making a very good impression at camp.  Has done well when he has run with the 1st team.  Could play his way onto the PS.

Steelers know how to get offense. This year alone with Rudolph, Washington, Samuels, and now this Patterson guy. Seriously?

On 8/6/2018 at 9:00 AM, Forge said:

Jullian Taylor - a SPARQ score stud to take a flyer on. Believe it or not, he's looked pretty good and even got bumped up to playing with the 1's after Armstead's injury. I don't think that he cracks a rotation consistently, but he may make the team, but seems like at least a lock for the PS, which is good

Gotta update this. He's definitely making the squad, and given armstead and his inability to stay healthy, there is a real possibility that he becomes a starter or serious rotational player for us. Kid looks really really good

On 8/6/2018 at 9:28 PM, TheVillain112 said:

Sam Hubbard hype is building.  Playing snaps now as a 3T on passing downs (where the Bengals played Chris Smith, Michael Johnson, and other DEs the past few season).  He's doing some good things in camp, but our OL also sucks.  So...

How's Jordan Willis looking?

Rashaan Evans - think he might actually be dead. Literally have heard nothing about him.

Harold Landry - looking good so far. Had a nice strip sack against GB that I’m sure many have seen by now. Going up against Lewan throughout camp is really helping him.

Dane Cruikshank - was having a nice camp, then he got injured.

Luke Falk - he’s pretty whatever.

3 hours ago, Jimmy Austin said:

Vita Vea didn't play

Ronald Jones scored a 2 yd TD but all in all looked meh.

MJ Stewart looked pretty good

Justin Watson looked good as well. 

Jordan Whitehead balled at safety. He's been practicing with the twos and threes so far. But he got reps with the first team today.

3 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

What position?

3 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

UDFA Matthew Thomas is looking very good in camp.  Most expect him to make the team.

ILB.

Olasunkanmi Adeniyi, UDFA OLB Toledo looked like Deebo Jr. Against the Eagles.  I will say he was going against a former rugby player at OT but he had a great pass rush, caused a strip sack and could hold the edge vs the run.

Archived