Interesting case of Khalil Mack

Hurricanes773

After a very active offseason for GM Ryan Pace, on paper the glaring weaknesses of the team are beginning to disappear. However, the largest need is arguably the 2nd most important outside of QB and that is the Pass Rush created by the OLB's. Outside of the oft-injured Leonard Floyd, ALREADY INJURED Aaron Lynch and 6th rounder Kylie Fitts there isnt much to be optimistic about. 

In Oakland there is a big contract dispute brewing with 2016 DPOY Khalil Mack and the front office so much so that former front office personnel has begun to weigh in: My gut tells me that they’ll trade him and try to get some good draft picks for him. That’s what (my gut tells me) — especially if he holds out and especially if they’re doing well in the preseason and the defense is doing well.”

After drafting Arden Key in the draft and Bruce Irving coming off his best season to date it's not out of the realm that Reggie McKenzie could place Mack on the trade block as they are financially strapped with only $4.5 million in cap space.

The Bears have already traded away their 2nd round pick in next years draft for Rookie WR Anthony Miller. Now the question I propose is Should Ryan Pace send a ransom to the Raiders and what should the package be?

Send Roquan Smith and future draft pick(s), contingent on a long term Mack deal.... and solve everyone's problems at once.

1. We get an OLB who we can actually depend on.

2. Gruden seemed to like Roquan in the draft process.

3. We don't have to put up with anymore of Roquan's agent's *poop*

4. Raiders clearly look like they're burning or have already burned their Mack bridge and probably need a way out at this point

5. Raiders are cap strapped... Roquan is on a rookie deal

6. We have cap space, Mack is gonna cost $$

7.  Raiders need a defensive leader right now, and Roquan could be that guy.

8. Kwiatoski is honestly outplaying Trevethan right now so Roquan is kind of a luxury pick for us at the moment anyway.

y'all are crazy for wanting to trade RS58 already. absolutely ridiculous. 

as to the question posed, i offer 2 1sts (same as signing a franchise tag) but make trade contingent on talking to KM52/agent to make sure we can talk long term and not just the one year/franchise tag following year.

1 hour ago, HuskieBear said:

as to the question posed, i offer 2 1sts (same as signing a franchise tag) but make trade contingent on talking to KM52/agent to make sure we can talk long term and not just the one year/franchise tag following year.

Trade a fantastic, but completely unproven, prospect for one of the best players in the NFL? And that player is at one of the three premier positions in the game? Add in that Mack has never missed a game in his 4 years so he seems to have proven durability. I'd do that any day.

Look I get it, but this isn't due to Smith's holdout. That will pass and be a memory. But Mack is one of the best players in the NFL, and unless Smith actually is the second coming of Ray Lewis (and I mean THAT level, not just a top 5 in the NFL for a while) then he won't be more valuable to a team than Mack. There isn't a first rounder we have drafted since I started really paying attention to the draft that I would have said, "No, he is definitely going to the HoF. I wouldn't trade him for Peppers, Allen, Watt, etc in their prime."

If I could have traded the pick with Smith on the table, then there would have been no hesitation. I would have taken Mack in a heartbeat over any of the rookies this year, counting their contracts being dramatically smaller. Now if I could package Amukamara and DT or Kwiatkoski instead then hell yeah I'm keeping Smith. But I just don't see them wanting anyone but an elite prospect on the first year of their rookie deal unless you're dealing another elite to them or multiple firsts.

1 hour ago, Sugashane said:

Trade a fantastic, but completely unproven, prospect for one of the best players in the NFL? And that player is at one of the three premier positions in the game? Add in that Mack has never missed a game in his 4 years so he seems to have proven durability. I'd do that any day.

Interesting per Mack's reliability as the cloud over him on his draft day was (I thought) a possible arthritic knee or something.

As EXTREMELY disappointed I am in Smith's holdout (1/32 chance of us having the sole 1st round holdout), I don't think it's time to trade him and I doubt Mack is being traded.

10 hours ago, Epyon said:

Send Roquan Smith and future draft pick(s), contingent on a long term Mack deal.... and solve everyone's problems at once.

1. We get an OLB who we can actually depend on.

2. Gruden seemed to like Roquan in the draft process.

3. We don't have to put up with anymore of Roquan's agent's *poop*

4. Raiders clearly look like they're burning or have already burned their Mack bridge and probably need a way out at this point

5. Raiders are cap strapped... Roquan is on a rookie deal

6. We have cap space, Mack is gonna cost $$

7.  Raiders need a defensive leader right now, and Roquan could be that guy.

8. Kwiatoski is honestly outplaying Trevethan right now so Roquan is kind of a luxury pick for us at the moment anyway.

I was going to start a similar thread after reading an article on sportsmockery I think. Trade Smith and our 2019 2nd for Mack. Sign Mack to a 5/110M with 70M guaranteed. Just throwing crap at the wall. ???

7 hours ago, 51to54 said:

Interesting per Mack's reliability as the cloud over him on his draft day was (I thought) a possible arthritic knee or something.

As EXTREMELY disappointed I am in Smith's holdout (1/32 chance of us having the sole 1st round holdout), I don't think it's time to trade him and I doubt Mack is being traded.

I agree. You don't just trade away a top-10 player in the NFL, and one of the best Edge rushers. I think this is just weird timing on both parts and that he does get a deal with Oakland somehow. But over four years he had proven to be very durable and extremely productive. I expect Smith gets a deal done and this becomes just an annoying memory.

40 minutes ago, malagabears said:

I was going to start a similar thread after reading an article on sportsmockery I think. Trade Smith and our 2019 2nd for Mack. Sign Mack to a 5/110M with 70M guaranteed. Just throwing crap at the wall. ???

Our 2019 second-rounder was traded away for Anthony Miller. If you can steal that back for the Patriots and trade it then dammit Pace needs to hire you now. LOL

12 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

Sorry man but if you're asking me if I'd trade a highly drafted unproven but promising run and chase LB for a 3 time pro bowler and potential future hall of famer who's already proven he's one of the top defensive players in the game at a premium position and who's still in his prime, I'd make that trade 10 out of 10 times all day every day.

This isn't about being pissed at Roquan for not being in camp, it's about common sense.

3 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Our 2019 second-rounder was traded away for Anthony Miller. If you can steal that back for the Patriots and trade it then dammit Pace needs to hire you now. LOL

My bad, what about our 2020 2nd and Smith and locking up Mack to 5/110M with 70M guaranteed?

7 minutes ago, malagabears said:

My bad, what about our 2020 2nd and Smith and locking up Mack to 5/110M with 70M guaranteed?

Its all good, I was just ribbing you.

But yeah, I'd take that deal in heartbeat. As long as we got to negotiate and it is contingent upon the deal being made. 

11 hours ago, topwop1 said:

Sorry man but if you're asking me if I'd trade a highly drafted unproven but promising run and chase LB for a 3 time pro bowler and potential future hall of famer who's already proven he's one of the top defensive players in the game at a premium position and who's still in his prime, I'd make that trade 10 out of 10 times all day every day.

This isn't about being pissed at Roquan for not being in camp, it's about common sense.

i think i misinterpreted the post. i think i just read it as people are pissed quan isn't signed and want to trade him for it, thats all. 

Archived