Interesting case of Khalil Mack

Hurricanes773

39 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

i think i misinterpreted the post. i think i just read it as people are pissed quan isn't signed and want to trade him for it, thats all. 

Looking at the posts, mine included, it's easy to interpret it that way. We definitely are all frustrated, but I'm going to be excited to finally get him suited up. 

I think he is a young guy who knows nothing about negotiations, and is just handing the task over to the professionals he is paying. They are really screwing him more than helping IMO but I'm obviously biased. Lol

On 8/2/2018 at 9:14 AM, topwop1 said:

Sorry man but if you're asking me if I'd trade a highly drafted unproven but promising run and chase LB for a 3 time pro bowler and potential future hall of famer who's already proven he's one of the top defensive players in the game at a premium position and who's still in his prime, I'd make that trade 10 out of 10 times all day every day.

This isn't about being pissed at Roquan for not being in camp, it's about common sense.

Can't make that deal fast enough and I love Roquan.  Even if you assume RS is a 5 time pro bowler you make the deal.    

Rookie ILB for a HOF pass rusher and current top 3 pass rusher in the entire league and possibly no. 1?   And it fills our weakest position?  And it's 2nd hardest position in NFL to find?  You can even pay him big $$ while still on MT rookie deal.  It's perfect.  

Pace should be exploring this even though its a long shot message board hypo.  It's a no brainer from our perspective.  It even makes some sense from Raiders perspective. 

On 8/1/2018 at 7:57 PM, Epyon said:

3. We don't have to put up with anymore of Roquan's agent's *poop*

The "*poop*" is actually on the Bears' end, not Smiths' agents'...

On 8/1/2018 at 8:37 PM, Sugashane said:

I send Roquan's rights to them and next year's 3rd, conditional to a long term deal being made. He'd get Watt money from me.

Even without having seen Smith play, I'd be more comfortable sending them Floyd, and that deal would make far more sense, regardless. 

1 hour ago, Heinz D. said:

Even without having seen Smith play, I'd be more comfortable sending them Floyd, and that deal would make far more sense, regardless. 

IDK, I have conflicted feelings on that. They have Edwards and Key (apparently they are happy with him so far) for EDGE guys, but only have plenty of room to upgrade in the second level. Smith is in the first a a 5 year (assuming they accept the option) rookie deal and has a higher ceiling than Floyd IMO.  Floyd doesn't hold the same value to me from their side. Kwiatkoski graded out high in passrushing and run stuffing from what I have seen, maybe he can fill the JACK role opposite of Mack. I'd be happy with it. It won't happen but I'd be damn happy with it. lol

4 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

The "*poop*" is actually on the Bears' end, not Smiths' agents'...

4 of the 5 longest holdouts in league history have been specifically one of the guys representing Smith right now.... His agency is responsible for the vast majority of holdouts in general, including 7 or the final 8 holdouts this season.  Also, the Bears caved on his demands regarding the targetting language and the agency immediately moved the goal posts asking for non football related suspensions to also still be garunteed, you know just in case Roquan gets arrested beating his girlfriend or gets popped for steroids. Sorry, but the team is not the one being unreasonable here, and the idea that Roquan has now missed 3 entire weeks and a preseason  game over this asshattery makes me outright HATE him as a player. Urlacher had a quote about this basically saying he put his foot down with his agent and told him he was going to be in camp when he was drafted.. That is an example of leadership... Roquan right now is not being that guy, and frankly in my mind, will now never be that guy... which was one of the main things we where hoping to get when drafting him in the first place. He's either too stupid to put his foot down with his agents, or too selfish to care about the crap they're trying to pull in his name.

If players want better terms, that's what the CBA is for.... At this point if I was running the team it would be clear to me that he doesn't want to be here, and is frankly going to become more of a headache than he's worth even if he is here, so long as he retains that agency/agent. Ship him out and get rid of the cancer before it spreads, while actually getting something in return.... or do nothing and let him sit the year out and get drafted way lower than top 10 next year.... After that, either way I'd blacklist his agency for any future players, and propose that the league blacklist them at the next owners meeting.

3 hours ago, Epyon said:

4 of the 5 longest holdouts in league history have been specifically one of the guys representing Smith right now.... His agency is responsible for the vast majority of holdouts in general, including 7 or the final 8 holdouts this season.  Also, the Bears caved on his demands regarding the targetting language and the agency immediately moved the goal posts asking for non football related suspensions to also still be garunteed, you know just in case Roquan gets arrested beating his girlfriend or gets popped for steroids. Sorry, but the team is not the one being unreasonable here, and the idea that Roquan has now missed 3 entire weeks and a preseason  game over this asshattery makes me outright HATE him as a player. Urlacher had a quote about this basically saying he put his foot down with his agent and told him he was going to be in camp when he was drafted.. That is an example of leadership... Roquan right now is not being that guy, and frankly in my mind, will now never be that guy... which was one of the main things we where hoping to get when drafting him in the first place. He's either too stupid to put his foot down with his agents, or too selfish to care about the crap they're trying to pull in his name.

If players want better terms, that's what the CBA is for.... At this point if I was running the team it would be clear to me that he doesn't want to be here, and is frankly going to become more of a headache than he's worth even if he is here, so long as he retains that agency/agent. Ship him out and get rid of the cancer before it spreads, while actually getting something in return.... or do nothing and let him sit the year out and get drafted way lower than top 10 next year.... After that, either way I'd blacklist his agency for any future players, and propose that the league blacklist them at the next owners meeting.

It's easy (or quick) to put a lot on this type of a frustrating situation, but there are obvious dark clouds forming above his non-physical football side. ILB is a great position to bring leadership and an attitude to a defense. Guys that combine the physical and leadership (will leave aside the mental side) can change a whole defense. It's looking like Smith has at the very least taken a large kick to the leadership and mental part of the stool. Hope it's a case of frustration on us fans' side and not we've got an immature and selfish LB on our hands.

5 hours ago, Sugashane said:

Smith is in the first a a 5 year (assuming they accept the option) rookie deal and has a higher ceiling than Floyd IMO. 

Which is why you keep Smith, even if it means giving the Raiders a first round pick along with Floyd instead of a third. Keep in mind Floyd doesn't have to solely a pass rush first guy, either. It doesn't matter either way, even though it's perfect fodder for a football forum. I think the odds that some football writer's "hunch" about the Raiders' dealing Mack being a for real thing are very, very slim...

3 hours ago, Epyon said:

Sorry, but the team is not the one being unreasonable here, and the idea that Roquan has now missed 3 entire weeks and a preseason  game over this asshattery makes me outright HATE him as a player. Urlacher had a quote about this basically saying he put his foot down with his agent and told him he was going to be in camp when he was drafted.. That is an example of leadership... Roquan right now is not being that guy, and frankly in my mind, will now never be that guy... which was one of the main things we where hoping to get when drafting him in the first place. He's either too stupid to put his foot down with his agents, or too selfish to care about the crap they're trying to pull in his name.

O.o ?

"HATE"?

Seems odd. I've been extra busy as of late, so didn't catch that the Bears had come around on the targeting language. Still seems like an extreme point of view, to me.

I'm also not sure that leadership was as high on the Bears check list as it is on yours. Either way, I'd be surprised if the dispute isn't resolved soon, and bet he doesn't sit out the year. Contract disputes happen. No reason for one to be a cause to ship a rookie away.

3 minutes ago, 51to54 said:

Hope it's a case of frustration on us fans' side and not we've got an immature and selfish LB on our hands.

It could just as easily be the beginning of a trend to not let players get pushed around as much as they have been, and fined by NFL. The most immediate impact of these annual "safety" rules additions is shrinking player salaries. It's a fool errand on the league's part to think they can completely fine their way to a safer product. A lot of fans make light of the fines, thinking the players have unlimited amounts of money, or something. There's a pretty good point to be made that pushing back against the league, and all the fines, is a just thing to do. 

1 hour ago, Heinz D. said:

O.o ?

"HATE"?

Seems odd. I've been extra busy as of late, so didn't catch that the Bears had come around on the targeting language. Still seems like an extreme point of view, to me.

I'm also not sure that leadership was as high on the Bears check list as it is on yours. Either way, I'd be surprised if the dispute isn't resolved soon, and bet he doesn't sit out the year. Contract disputes happen. No reason for one to be a cause to ship a rookie away.

You never get a second chance to make a first impression... As far as I'm concerned, Roquan completely blew his. I cant trust a guy to be a team player and a team leader when he doesn't even respect his team enough to show up to practice with them.

52 minutes ago, Epyon said:

You never get a second chance to make a first impression... As far as I'm concerned, Roquan completely blew his. I cant trust a guy to be a team player and a team leader when he doesn't even respect his team enough to show up to practice with them.

You realize that hes nit under contract right?  First and foremost, the nfl is a business.  I dont blame a guy one bit for swinging the hammer when he has it.   Hes following the advice of the people he trusts to handle this part of his job.  Yeah it sucks for us as fans bc we want to see the shiny new toy on display, bit these guys entire careers, the ability to provide for their families, can be over in an instant.  Lets not get on the kid too much for trying to make sure he gets the best deal he can possibly get.  Lets also not get on the bears for holding to their own beliefs.  It will be worked out, and truthfully he hasnt missed much, and he wouldnt have played in the HOF game if he was here anyway.

2 hours ago, Epyon said:

You say that like contract holdouts don’t happen all the time. Less with rookies than before this CBA for sure, but it’s far from uncommon. 

I don't begrudge Smith trying to get the best contract he can. It's his body and brain on the line. Not the fans or owners. However, WHAT he is fighting to get into the contract I can begrudge him. IF it's to protect his G money from doing serious off field things then I'm with the team. I've gone into job interviews and stated that I want more money than their initial offer. I've never bargained that if I get a DUI and run over two employees in the parking lot I should still get my paycheck.

1 hour ago, 51to54 said:

I don't begrudge Smith trying to get the best contract he can. It's his body and brain on the line. Not the fans or owners. However, WHAT he is fighting to get into the contract I can begrudge him. IF it's to protect his G money from doing serious off field things then I'm with the team. I've gone into job interviews and stated that I want more money than their initial offer. I've never bargained that if I get a DUI and run over two employees in the parking lot I should still get my paycheck.

Let’s be honest here - both sides are using the media to try to pressure the other. Reality of what’s still at dispute is almost surely somewhere in between the two sides we are hearing. At this point after really 3+ months of negotiating both sides are in the wrong. Just get it done already. 

Sports Mockery provided something interesting that I was unaware of....

Apparently any hypothetical scenario where we traded Roquan (+pick(s) presumably) for Mack (+ contract extension presumably) has to get done before the 7th

from http://sportsmockery.com/2018/08/would-the-bears-trade-roquan-smith-dont-rule-it-out/

"August 7th will be the deadline for the Bears to consider a Smith trade

It turns out the NFL has contingency plans for such things. August 7th is set as the deadline date for teams to trade the rights of any player they drafted."

So... whatever incredibly long shot odds this discussion of us getting Mack has... at least the potential Roquan trade chip part of it ends Tuesday.

The frightening concern, is that Green Bay has two first rounders next year, and a pretty grim OLB situation themselves. I don't know if they could afford both Mack and Rodgers however.

Archived