Preseason Week 1: Post-game talk - Well that was fun

titans0021

Figured we'd try something new this year. After each game, we'll have a thread for post-game talk and observations. What stood out to you? Anybody hurt their chances of making the roster? Anybody help them? Etc., etc.

I'll add my thoughts in a little bit. Sneak preview, thumbs up to Jayon Brown and Kalan Reed. A whole lot of thumbs down.

Very boring game but I enjoyed seeing Mariota back but Oline I thought was going to play a lot better. 

Thought they would have been motivated and excited to have Mariota back but they missed the mark.  As far as other players Logan Ryan scares me Jackson needs to play return better and Henry needs to block better. 

A lot of downs very few ups but luckily it is preseason. 

Jayon Brown, Kalan Reed, and Aaron Wallace all looked great. Our front 7 as a whole was solid all night.  Secondary struggled especially Ryan. My fear of Logan not being an outside corner is unfortunately looking more true.  Hopefully he gets it together.  OLine was dreadful all night. Overall, not a good game at all obviously, but thankfully it doesn't appear that anyone got hurt.

13 minutes ago, TitanSlim said:

I'll put what I put in the GDT. 

That wasn't pretty and there's plenty of work to be done but it appears we came out of here injury free. That's the main thing I'm hoping for this and every preseason.

Yup. Most important and what really makes any preseason game a win.

Are we staring the #KeepOnLosingForRosen yet?  lol

But the defense really was strong outside of the bomb. The run defense was impressive to me. 

Jayon Brown seemed to be an answer (for now) to the LB-TE problem. He was quick.

Like most teams, our Backup QB will rest on the shoulder of an guy that nobody wants to see. (Tanney or Cassel).

Aaron Wallace seems to have taken a step forward. He was really active.

Byard was also looking good in his minor duty.

Ryan was targeted and didn't have the best night. Was in position on one pass but got beat deep.

All the O-line units need to work on their blitz/twist pick ups.  
Tanney holds the ball too long on a couple of those.

And now, some more actual thoughts.

Marcus:

No idea what he was doing on that last pass.

Nice to see him take a hit and get back up without any problems.

Looked mobile in and out of the pocket, doesn't seem to be showing any ill affects from the leg.

Henry: 

Produced when the line gave him space, didn't really create anything otherwise.

Thought he showed a little more explosion through the hole than he did last year.

Receivers:

Nobody really stood out other than Taylor, who was able to get some separation, albeit against backups.

Eric Decker has been around long enough to know how to set a pick without getting caught.

Offensive line:

Good lord, that was ugly.

Got off to a quick start running the ball, but really fell apart in both aspects of the game. No matter which unit was in, the pass-blocking was abysmal. Hopefully they were just getting that out of their system, we can't afford this kind of performance in the regular season.

I'd like to have some more positives, but man that was a brutal offensive performance.

Defensively, it was a little prettier.

Defensive line:

Good all night. Casey looked like an absolute force on that first drive. Even with the joke of a personal foul call.

Constantly in the backfield and plugging up holes in the run game.

Made life real easy on the linebackers, eating up space and letting the linebackers just fill the gaps.

Linebackers: 

Similar story as the DL.

Woodyard made a real nice play in space.

None of the other starters really jumped out, but the LB depth looked pretty solid.

Jayon Brown should have a role early on. Looked smooth in coverage and consistently was able to make plays in space. Would be a huge if he turns into something, even if he's limited in the run game.

Aaron Wallace was great tonight. Dodd gets a lot of talk, but Wallace could win himself a job and be the first or second pass-rusher off the bench.

Defensive backs:

Logan Ryan. Yikes. Had good position on one of the receptions, got straight up beat on the other two.

Byard looked great in the run game. This brings me back to why I hate the Cyprien signing. Byard is such a versatile safety, we didn't need a one-dimensional guy to play close to the line.

Kalan Reed should make the roster. Especially if he's also getting some work in at safety. Great distance speed and closes well. Was also in on a couple tackles and looked willing to stick his nose in. He and Brown were the two most impressive players on the field for the Titans tonight IMO.

Archived