Bengals cut Brandon LaFell

TheVillain112

4 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Curious as to the timing, but the comments from the agent paint a story of someone wanting out in a bad way. Never knew the relationship turned sour...

He got along fine with the team/coaches from what I've heard (could be wrong).  Fans hated him (not personally but the playing time he got).  Also with Boyd, Ross, Malone, and now Auden Tate getting more reps, his playing time was going to be diminished.  I think those two things played a role in this.  Not that him and the coaches/team were at odds.

Also wonder if the Agent was talking to the Patriots on the side.  If he ends up there, I'm guessing the need at WR for the Patriots played a part in this...

10 minutes ago, TheVillain112 said:

Buy low on Tyler Boyd in fantasy...

It helps them all.  But i wouldn't bet on any of them except AJ.  Maybe Ross.  But i don't see any of them getting more than 800 yards, 6 TD's.  Too many mouths to feed, and they're not committed to any of them in particular.

One interesting (at least to me) aspect of this cut that is worth noting is that I don't think it happens without LaFell asking to be cut.

LaFell was clearly not worth the money or the roster spot.  But one thing that's important to the Bengals (Read: Cheap Mike Brown) is to honor contracts and not cut players before letting them play out their contracts.  They use it as a major negotiating tactic.  When you look at the contracts of players like AJ Green, Geno Atkins, Carlos Dunlap, etc... they are below market value.  But we don't have holdouts.  One major reason these players sign and honor those contracts is because the Bengals tend to honor contracts and not just the guaranteed portions, more than other teams.  If the Bengals cut LaFell to save $2.8M in cap space, they lose that negotiating tactic.  So LaFell asking to be released was key here... 

Archived