Cyprien Out For The Year

Titans fan 617

Alot of yall are buggin, I fail to see how a player being thrown into a brand new defense with a few weeks to get up to speed and the expectation to START is an upgrade over the guy whose been in that spot the past 16 months. 

How is Reid an upgrade...

because he was a probowl alternate 4 years ago?

because he was a former 1st round pick?

Because he's a former DB from LSU?

I just don't see how Reid or Vacarro/Mitchell is an instant upgrade over Cyprien.

Much like with Kaep, the fact that Reid is definitely being blackballed has led to many people to vastly overestimate his ability. He should be on a roster, no doubt, I'm not even saying he couldn't earn a job. But instant upgrade is not a statement I'm buying. 

That just tells me alot of people don't like Cyprien or think he's overpaid, and as I've said before, fans catching feelings over the FA money a player gets is ridiculous to me.

No one said Vaccaro or Reid would come in and be instantly better. Obviously they have to learn the defense. I mean.... No ****... However, they’re still better at playing safety then Cyprien. That’s like saying Earl Thomas wouldn’t be an upgrade because he doesn’t know the defense. I mean there’s still about a month until the regular season. I’m sure they can learn the defense by then.  I don’t give a damn where they were drafted(Cyprien was a high 2nd round pick).  Means nothing to me.

28 minutes ago, Chocolateman78 said:

Alot of yall are buggin, I fail to see how a player being thrown into a brand new defense with a few weeks to get up to speed and the expectation to START is an upgrade over the guy whose been in that spot the past 16 months. 

First, if the primary defense of a player is that he's been around for a year and has a total of what, three practices in pads under the current defensive coordinator and head coach, I feel like that says a lot about that player.

I don't see a single poster claiming Eric Reid is some all-pro. He's a slightly above average safety coming off of a strong year where he played a number of different roles. Ask 49ers fans about his performance last year and you'll get fairly universal praise. Not in the sense that he's Troy Polamalu, but in the sense that he's a competent football player and certainly a capable starting safety in the NFL.

I was trying to be diplomatic with Cyp, but he represents the absolute worst of what PFF has done for your average football fan. He's bad. He doesn't fit in this era of football. Defenses have to hide him in coverage (which prevents his pass defense rating from tanking his PFF grade) and he occasionally comes up and makes a solo tackle in the ground game. There was a reason the Jags fans were laughing at us when we signed him. He doesn't make a football team better in 2018.

You're claiming that fans overhype free agents while pretending that it's insane to think that two guys coming off of two of the better years of their careers (with Reid arguably coming off the best season of his career), couldn't possibly be an upgrade over a defensive back that has shown, literally every year of his career, that he can't cover tight ends and running backs, let alone wide receivers.

So yeah, my dislike of Cyp probably has a lot to do with why I think Reid and Vaccaro would be instant upgrades over him. Because Cyp sets a crazy low bar as a starting safety in today's NFL and even average football players can clear it, especially with a full preseason and the majority of training camp to learn the system.

At his best, Johnathan Cyprien is invisible on the football field outside of the occasional positive play in the run game. At his worst, he's a total liability on passing downs in a league that is trending more and more in that direction. Hell, I'm not convinced that Jayon Brown wouldn't be a better strong safety. What was his biggest accomplishment last year? What plays did he make that led you to believe that he's not an easily replaceable player?  Literally the only difference-making play I can remember from the guy is when he hurt Travis Kelce. That's all I've got. I can't think of any other winning football plays that came from him. Reid and Vaccaro aren't upgrades because they're incredible, they're upgrades because Cyp is bad.

Just now, Chocolateman78 said:

Kenny Vacarro is literally everything you said about Cyprien.

Yes, he's not great against the pass. But he's not the embarrassing liability that Cyprien is. Again, I'm not claiming Vaccaro is a great football player, I'm saying that he's better than a bad football player.

Archived