Cyprien Out For The Year

Titans fan 617

Just now, Chocolateman78 said:

YES HE IS.

What are we basing it on? That he's been a member of bad defenses? The Saints long-term struggles in the passing game extend well beyond a single player. When I was dreaming of replacing Cyprien this offseason, I hopped into the Saints forum, checked out a few things from Saints writers, and kept an eye on NFL Gen for talk about Vaccaro to get a feel for how he played last year (mainly because I never really believed that we would target Reid). Because I'm never going to pretend that I specifically watched a safety from an NFC team for a length of time. The talk was all positive. Definite mentions of improvement in the passing game. Which is more improvement than Cyp has shown in his entire career in that department.

2 minutes ago, 615finest said:

Is Vaccaro really more versatile? I always thought he was a better in he box safety and Reid was better in Coverage.

with our depth at safety I definitely could see ya signing more then 1.

Reid has played a lot of the more traditional in the box role throughout his career. My understanding is that he had a down couple years and rebounded nicely last year and flashed some ability in the passing game that had been missing for a while. That's mostly based on what I've read from people that follow the 49ers, because yeah, I can't pretend like I watch enough of non-Titans safeties to fairly generate a complete opinion of them. Vaccaro is probably a bit more athletic and has moved around more throughout his career.

I don't think there's a ton of doubt that Reid is the better overall player though. It all comes down to if a team is actually willing to sign him.

3 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

Reid has played a lot of the more traditional in the box role throughout his career. My understanding is that he had a down couple years and rebounded nicely last year and flashed some ability in the passing game that had been missing for a while. That's mostly based on what I've read from people that follow the 49ers, because yeah, I can't pretend like I watch enough of non-Titans safeties to fairly generate a complete opinion of them. Vaccaro is probably a bit more athletic and has moved around more throughout his career.

I don't think there's a ton of doubt that Reid is the better overall player though. It all comes down to if a team is actually willing to sign him.

Yea I’m pretty sure Vaccaro is the most athletic out of the 2... I’d be okay with either one honestly as long as we don’t sign the other mentioned names.

41 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

What are we basing it on? That he's been a member of bad defenses? The Saints long-term struggles in the passing game extend well beyond a single player. When I was dreaming of replacing Cyprien this offseason, I hopped into the Saints forum, checked out a few things from Saints writers, and kept an eye on NFL Gen for talk about Vaccaro to get a feel for how he played last year (mainly because I never really believed that we would target Reid). Because I'm never going to pretend that I specifically watched a safety from an NFC team for a length of time. The talk was all positive. Definite mentions of improvement in the passing game. Which is more improvement than Cyp has shown in his entire career in that department.

Vacarro didn't even play safety all of last year. He got benched week 2 for Vonn  Bell and played in the slot for the rest of the time he was healthy. PFF, if you believe in that, ranked him the #115 CB last season. 

31 minutes ago, 615finest said:

Yea I’m pretty sure Vaccaro is the most athletic out of the 2... I’d be okay with either one honestly as long as we don’t sign the other mentioned names.

Athleticism never translated to the ability to cover for Vacarro. Thats pasrt of the problem

13 minutes ago, Chocolateman78 said:

Vacarro didn't even play safety all of last year. He got benched week 2 for Vonn  Bell and played in the slot for the rest of the time he was healthy. PFF, if you believe in that, ranked him the #115 CB last season. 

Everything I've read/heard is that he kicked to the slot in nickel but still got plenty of reps in the box. Basically, they were just trying to play him close to the LOS. Though, there's also no denying that he was terrible to start last year, I'm not sure anyone (other than maybe PFF, because yeah, PFF) would actually classify him as a corner. Mainly because, even when he was technically playing corner, it was mostly just to get him on the line to make plays on short passes and against the run.

11 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

Everything I've read/heard is that he kicked to the slot in nickel but still got plenty of reps in the box. Basically, they were just trying to play him close to the LOS. Though, there's also no denying that he was terrible to start last year, I'm not sure anyone (other than maybe PFF, because yeah, PFF) would actually classify him as a corner. Mainly because, even when he was technically playing corner, it was mostly just to get him on the line to make plays on short passes and against the run.

I think Cyp's online burner just got exposed... have never seen such vociferous defense of him. 

Reid is above average, and in this secondary that would be huge. Would also give Pees more options in how he throws looks at opposing offenses. He's more agile and able in the pass game than Cyp could ever hope to be. Would allow for some interesting / creative blitz packages with Byard and Logan Ryan for sure. 

2 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

Reid is better than Cyp but not by a large margin, but Cyp is a better safety than Vacarro. I dunno where the praise for Vaccaro comes from but the guy has never been good. Cyp is at least decent in the box, Vaccaro is decent at nothing.

The margin is more than a hair between Cyp and Reid. Understand the injury sucks and was very recent, but if it wasn't for the one big stop vs the Chiefs (and the hit on Kelce which was honestly a bit sloppy) I can't remember a single week he wasn't being exposed and dogged on. He's borderline starting quality, more of a sub-package box guy would be a better role. Reid is an every down safety, and with better teammates around him should be able to plug in adequately if he can pick the defense up quickly. Whoever it is will need to get up to speed fast, and hopefully someone in by Friday is enough of a jump on the regular season.

Just now, VY said:

The margin is more than a hair between Cyp and Reid. Understand the injury sucks and was very recent, but if it wasn't for the one big stop vs the Chiefs (and the hit on Kelce which was honestly a bit sloppy) I can't remember a single week he wasn't being exposed and dogged on. He's borderline starting quality, more of a sub-package box guy would be a better role. Reid is an every down safety, and with better teammates around him should be able to plug in adequately if he can pick the defense up quickly. Whoever it is will need to get up to speed fast, and hopefully someone in by Friday is enough of a jump on the regular season.

Nah, Reid is just getting ridiculously over hyped because he's a starting caliber safety that's still a free agent. He's better than Cyp, but again, it's not by a lot. He's a great option to replace Cyp no doubt, but acting like he's some major upgrade is just setting yourself up for disappointment.

And Cyp wasn't getting exposed and dogged on every week. He did play really well in the Chiefs game, and that was probably his only "great"(that word might be stretching it, but he was good), in most other games he was generally around average, sometimes a little below, sometimes right on it, sometimes a little above. He was awful vs Oakland, and I was pretty disappointed in his game vs San Fran, and I also recall a couple issues vs Arizona, but outside of that, he was exactly what we thought he'd be. Decent enough in the box, liability at times in coverage. Just an average guy.

Reid's a slightly better than average guy that doesn't really make that much more of an impact than Cyp.

Archived