Cyprien Out For The Year

Titans fan 617

8 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

If we go the predictable route, we sign LaDarius Webb.

That's my fear. I can't pretend like I won't be disappointed if it's anyone other than Reid. I can live with Vaccaro, because the more I read, the more it sounds like he got better down the stretch last year, but I'll probably place him as a breakeven player with Cyp. Plus, at least he's young and has played well at points in the NFL. Webb or Mitchell are disasters and legitimate downgrades from Cyp (and in case it's not clear, it takes a lot for me to say that).

35 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

If we go the predictable route, we sign LaDarius Webb.

I'd think that'd be the predictable route... since he happens to be an ex Pees guy... his whole career I think.

Reid is the other predictable pick since he seems like a Cyprien clone. (Maybe... I need to see some film on Reid...I went back and looked at the playoff games, keeping an eye on Cyp... and he really was good outside a few plays in the 1st quarter of the Chiefs game. And I sold him short calling him strictly an in the box safety... as he played almost exclusively as the deep safety vs the Pats' without giving anything up to Brady and co.... he also sealed the Chiefs game with 2 PDs on the last set of downs in that game... one in man coverage and another as a deep safety... I think we may end up missing him more than even I was thought).

32 minutes ago, ragevsuall17 said:

I'd think that'd be the predictable route... since he happens to be an ex Pees guy... his whole career I think.

Reid is the other predictable pick since he seems like a Cyprien clone. (Maybe... I need to see some film on Reid...I went back and looked at the playoff games, keeping an eye on Cyp... and he really was good outside a few plays in the 1st quarter of the Chiefs game. And I sold him short calling him strictly an in the box safety... as he played almost exclusively as the deep safety vs the Pats' without giving anything up to Brady and co.... he also sealed the Chiefs game with 2 PDs on the last set of downs in that game... one in man coverage and another as a deep safety... I think we may end up missing him more than even I was thought).

Scale of 1-10, how negative am I being if I say that the reason he played deep against the Pats was because of how good Brady is with backs and tight ends and we didn’t want him in the middle of the majority of the action?

(insert old ff laughing emoticons here)

5 hours ago, titans0021 said:

Scale of 1-10, how negative am I being if I say that the reason he played deep against the Pats was because of how good Brady is with backs and tight ends and we didn’t want him in the middle of the majority of the action?

(insert old ff laughing emoticons here)

8?... he was playing in that role normally played by Byard last season because they had Byard on Gronk almost exclusively. One of Gronks catches was against Ryan, and even though Byard held his own for the most part, he gave up 5 catches. But it woulda been a lot worse had we let lbers and Cyp/ Ryan/ Searcy cover him. 

Cyp did line up 1 on 1 against White out wide a few times when the Pat's would go 5 wide... kept up with him, didn't give up a catch on those plays either.

Ian Rapoport
Sources: The #Titans are filling their safety void by signing former #Saints FA Kenny Vaccaro. A big addition in August following S Johnathan Cyprien being placed on Injured Reserve. Vaccaro was impressive in the workout, helping him be the choice over several others

Ian Rapoport

#Titans planned to bring in S Eric Reid, but multiple flight cancellations kept him from coming in. When interest picked up from others in Kenny Vaccaro, Tennessee felt they needed to move to keep from losing him. They had good talks with Reid & he remains an option down the road

3 hours ago, ragevsuall17 said:

8?... he was playing in that role normally played by Byard last season because they had Byard on Gronk almost exclusively. One of Gronks catches was against Ryan, and even though Byard held his own for the most part, he gave up 5 catches. But it woulda been a lot worse had we let lbers and Cyp/ Ryan/ Searcy cover him. 

Cyp did line up 1 on 1 against White out wide a few times when the Pat's would go 5 wide... kept up with him, didn't give up a catch on those plays either.

Cyp did have a great game against KC. I was watching highlights from that game last night for some reason lol

the Vaccaro signing is a good one 

I feel awful for Cyp as the player/person. Seems like a great guy, great teammate and a super hard worker.

I was excited for him this year in Pees' system. Is he our best player in the secondary. No, but I think he would've been a very strong contributor and a player who would've made an impact this year. Our secondary is clearly very close, losing a guy that is part of that crew hurts.

2 hours ago, deeluxx3 said:

Cyp did have a great game against KC. I was watching highlights from that game last night for some reason lol

the Vaccaro signing is a good one 

Yep, that game too. He had that whiff on Tyreek in the open field (I mean, who hasn't, right?)... and on the 1st td, Smith drew him to a short route, opening up a lane for a td (although it was man coverage by a lber, Cyp coulda broken the play up of he had stayed). After the first Q, he was great... and again not just limited to playing on the box.... lined up and played as the deep half safety, lining up on TEs and RBs out wide and in the slot, etc...

On the last drive and set of downs, he broke up the 2nd down pass intended for the guy he was manned up on on a crossing route... then on the 4th down play, he broke up a reception on the guy who had gotten past Ryan. Those 2 plays helped clinch the game. 

But had he missed the tackle that Byard missed seconds before the half, which could have saved 4 points... or had he been the one who muffed the punt right back to the Chiefs in the 4th, he woulda been crucified. 

You can't have a superstar at every position. As the season went on, Cyp got better and better and became a true part of the D. I'm not saying we are going to definitely "miss" having him out there, but I think he was certainly a contributor in a secondary that was growing into itself

Personally watching the games Cyp had some bad plays his first game with us after that I didn’t see a lot of glaring mistakes   I know zero about Vaccaro but reading this thread I am surprised by the hate it seems for Reid a few years ago he was one of the top safeties in the league and while he might not be physically able to play at that level mentally he would make zero mistakes which is potentially a problem with Vaccaro based on what i have read.  Time will tell I guess   AnD we will miss Cyp.  

I think Kendrick Lewis is a name to remember as well. The guy has started 81 career games for 3 teams and was Pees starting safety before they signed Tony Jefferson. He got hurt last year, but he's currently listed as the starting SS in the unofficial depth chart. Seeing who receives first team reps in the secondary will be a really interesting thing to watch tomorrow nightl

Archived