Patriots sign Eric Decker to one-year deal

DoleINGout

5 hours ago, Incarcerated_Scarface said:

Everyone acts like every receiver the Pats get that used to be a big name will blow up. I'm not buying this signing here. Decker is done, I Don't care if TB12 is throwing to him.

Schefter tweet I saw the deal announced on already calling Brady to Decker best QB-WR combo of 2018.

The only times Decker has even lead his own team in yards was when 612 was enough to lead it with Tebow throwing, and when he was the only WR when Geno was there to even be on the field more than half the season.  For the Titans he was only the #3 target.

On 8/3/2018 at 4:14 AM, LA Niner Fan said:

Definitely take a Fantasy flyer on him. His last healthy year he put up a thousand yards. Last year was recovering but as a vet with TB throwing him the ball could be a good sleeper with the WR turnover and Edelman suspension. Not a star but I could see a year around 1000 yards possibly due to experience, fit and his career situation with a recovered season and need to produce

Josh McDaniels was the OC in Denver when Decker was younger. Greatly helps his chances of acclimating to the system and terminology for faster production.

21 hours ago, The Gnat said:

He's a little bit tall for their normal white WR.

If he were almost strictly a slot receiver he'd be taller then their usual Wes Welker/Julian Edelman/Austin Collie/Danny Amendola type. This year they have Riley McCarron/Braxton Berrios and Philip Dorsett to fill in for Edelman out of the slot. Decker will probs be more of an outside receiver.

20 hours ago, IDOG_det said:

He might start the season as the WR2... Edelman is suspended, Mitchell is hurt, I'd be shocked if Patterson, Britt, or Dorsett play over him, Berrios will likely operate out of the slot 99% of the time...Dorsett taking a step forward really is the only threat to him not being the WR2 to start the year

Hogan will be the WR1 to start the year, Edelman will take that spot when he returns from suspension. Even when Edelman comes back Decker is still likely to get the 3rd most targets.

Very accurate synopsis; are you a part-time Patriots fan, live in the region, or work around fand of the team? Dorsett is getting a lot of time in the slot and has earned Brady's trust already. Hogan will cede targets to Decker/Dorsett and Patterson throughout the season. In the redzone Braxton Berrios and Jacob Hollister will get a lot of looks this year streaking down the seams of the field. Dwyane Allen is also better adjusted this year than last and is going to occassionally get a look inside from Brady as well.

11 hours ago, Bobikus said:

Schefter tweet I saw the deal announced on already calling Brady to Decker best QB-WR combo of 2018.

The only times Decker has even lead his own team in yards was when 612 was enough to lead it with Tebow throwing, and when he was the only WR when Geno was there to even be on the field more than half the season.  For the Titans he was only the #3 target.

Schefter is a biased Denver/New England guy because he got his main reporting/sources starting there. He really called this the best combo, or was it just under the twitter comments of the tweet?

Decker, as much as I respect his ability, may be over the hill and lose the batlte to oft-injured, (but talented), Malcolm Mitchell. Plus, there is always the possibility that Riley McCarron surprises and earns a spot on the roster, or another free agent receiver is brought in, (e.g. Dez Bryant/Brandon LaFell/Cobi Hamilton/ect.)

On 8/3/2018 at 6:18 PM, Malik said:

He is done. He's overvalued because he had a handful of good seasons as a #2 where he got passed the ball like 200 times.

He was a former 3rd round pick who somehow caught 44rec/612yds/8tds with Tim Tebow throwing him the ball his first full year starting.

He then followed that by averaging 80rec/1,085yds/10tds over 4 seasons with Peyton for 2 years and Ryan Fitzpatrick for 2 years as a second option. How many number 2 WRs currently in the NFL have ever averaged those numbers over a 4 year period in their career? A small handful, maybe. He also ranked 18th/35th/17th/26th in the NFL in those 4 years in targets among WRs.

Deckers problem is that he has been banged up for the past two years after missing nearly all of 2016 and couldnt get back on track in 2017. Another big problem with him is that he was a 23 year old rookie in 2011 after staying all 4 years in college. So it feels like he hasnt been in the league all that long, but in reality he is now already a 31 year old WR working to get healthy.

1 hour ago, AkronsWitness said:

He was a former 3rd round pick who somehow caught 44rec/612yds/8tds with Tim Tebow throwing him the ball his first full year starting.

The somehow was that 266 of those yards and 4 of the TDs came from the 5 games with Orton.

On 8/3/2018 at 4:20 PM, Bobikus said:

Best "looking" QB-WR duo of 2018. And why does leading his team in receiving matter when he's had much more productive seasons than 612 yards?

On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 8:56 PM, SteelKing728 said:

He'll be.. what? The 4th or 5th WR on the depth chart?

He'll probably start.

On ‎8‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 9:50 AM, PapaShogun said:

Does he have anything left? From what I heard he was not getting separation last year.

That separation nonsense was used to excuse Mariota's incompetence...

As bad as Mariota was last season, I'd be inclined to give Decker a pass.  And honestly, he still managed to have a decent season; 500+ yards receiving...

On ‎8‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 5:18 PM, Malik said:

He is done. He's overvalued because he had a handful of good seasons as a #2 where he got passed the ball like 200 times.

That 'handful of good seasons' was a four year stretch where he had 4300 yards and 41 TDs.   I think that's certainly worth a flyer... That was only a couple years ago. 

On ‎8‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 6:00 PM, Yin-Yang said:

Caught just under 2/3 of his targets last season - not really ideal for a slot receiver, but NE isn’t exactly rolling in WR depth at the moment.

He's always been an outside receiver as far as I know...

On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 8:54 AM, DoleINGout said:

Decker, as much as I respect his ability, may be over the hill and lose the batlte to oft-injured, (but talented), Malcolm Mitchell. Plus, there is always the possibility that Riley McCarron surprises and earns a spot on the roster, or another free agent receiver is brought in, (e.g. Dez Bryant/Brandon LaFell/Cobi Hamilton/ect.)

Decker is 31; same age as Brandon LaFell...

Pats aren't going to pay Dez what he wants, and I'm sure he's looking for a payday...

Decker is easily a better player than Mitchell, McCarron, LaFell, and I've never even heard of Cobi Hamilton..  Not sure why anyone would want any of these guys over Eric Decker.

Archived