Is there any chance Anquan Boldin makes the HoF?

RedRider

3rvuiwVi.jpg

Without having heard anyone's opinion on the matter, I feel the prevailing opinion of Q getting in the HoF is a no. He's been under the radar since his time in Arizona which makes me think this.

But I feel he should be considered, even over some of his bigger-name contemporaries. Q was the fast receiver to 300 and 600 catches, iirc. He also eclipsed 1,000 catches last year. He has played in two Super Bowls, being an intricate weapon in the first and helping his team to a victory in his second. His style of play stands out a great deal - he was a punisher at the most unlikely position. His longevity is also very impressive.

On the flip side, he was hardly ever an offense's number 1, only caught 10+  TD's in one season, and has jumped teams a lot which hurts his identity.

In Boldin's favor:

• He currently has 1076 career receptions. Above him on the all-time list are Terrell Owens (1078, 8th all time), Tim Brown (1094, 6th), Cris Carter (1101, 5th) and Marvin Harrison (1102, 4th). So, even if he were to catch just half of the balls of his worst year (2004 when he caught only 56), he surpasses Harrison.
  • He currently has 13,779 career receiving yards (good for 14th). For his career, he's averaged 68.2 yards/game. While last year that dipped tremendously (only 36.5 ypg), his three prior seasons in San Francisco had him at 65.9 ypg. So, assuming he stays healthy, that was mean something on the order of 640 yards (assuming only 40 ypg) to 1040 yards (65 ypg). The lower end sneaks him into the top ten (his 14,419 bumping Reggie Wayne's 14,345 out of the top 10), while the top end would put him over top of Steve Smith (currently 7th and 14,731 vs. Boldin's 14,819).
  • Boldin is currently tied with Brandon Marshall for career touchdowns at 82. Isaac Bruce is currently 12th at 91. That's quite reachable.

Against Boldin:

• All of the stats I list above are career stats. As PapaShogun said above, it's starting to feel like just adding onto a lengthy career. This doesn't mean a player cannot get into the Hall this way (heya Bettis and Martin!), but it makes it harder.
  • Unlike Bettis and Martin, Boldin has bounced around the league. This is important because to get into the hall you need someone to passionately argue for you in the voters room. Guys like Bettis and Martin had the long time Steelers and Jets' writers pounding the table for him. Will the Cardinals' writers stump for Boldin even if he hasn't played for them since 2009? Will Baltimore or San Francisco, even though he spent only three years with each?
  • Finally, the unfair comparison (and one that will almost assuredly nullify the Arizona support): Larry Fitzgerald. Fitz has been with the Cardinals and only the Cardinals. This means that he is guaranteed to have the backing of the Arizona writers. He also is leading Boldin in the above three career stats (1125 catches, 3rd all time; 14,389 yards, 9th all time; 104 receiving TDs, 8th all time). It's very likely that Boldin will be negatively compared to Fitzgerald and that some of his numbers were inflated playing across from Larry. As I said, this would be an unfair comparison, but it's going to happen.

At the end of the day, I think he gets snubbed.

No.  He never had a dominant season.  He was a productive player over a long period of time, but there are probably 20 receivers playing right now that have had more dominant seasons than he ever had.  His best year was 102 recepttions, 1400 yards and 7 touchdowns.  Seems great, but he averaged 13.7 yards per reception, had a Hall of Fame quarterback throwing to him, and had a true Hall of Fame receiver playing opposite him.  His Super Bowl ring came while he was a role player and nothing more.  He averaged 77 receptions, just under 1,000 yards and 6 touchdowns a season.  That's not anywhere near a Hall of Fame average. 

12 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

No.  He never had a dominant season.  He was a productive player over a long period of time, but there are probably 20 receivers playing right now that have had more dominant seasons than he ever had.  His best year was 102 recepttions, 1400 yards and 7 touchdowns.  Seems great, but he averaged 13.7 yards per reception, had a Hall of Fame quarterback throwing to him, and had a true Hall of Fame receiver playing opposite him.  His Super Bowl ring came while he was a role player and nothing more.  He averaged 77 receptions, just under 1,000 yards and 6 touchdowns a season.  That's not anywhere near a Hall of Fame average. 

I think that is a little unfair. He was pretty good in Baltimore and a big reason why the Ravens won the Super Bowl that year. I still remember Boldin abusing Carlos Rogers in the big show. 

I could see a case being made for his inclusion, but ultimately I don't think he was ever regarded as being among the top five or so at his position at any point in his career. He was a really, really good football player in his prime but I don't think I would put him in the HOF.

23 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I think his rookie season was his best.  No Fitz or Warner yet.  That was a monster rookie year.

Archived