Is there any chance Anquan Boldin makes the HoF?

RedRider

Virtually no chance, for the reasons stated above:

1. backlog at WR

2. stat accumulator, peak play any given year was never at or near the top for WRs

3. somewhat of a career mercenary which dilutes his historical impact for any given team

28 minutes ago, cddolphin said:

Virtually no chance, for the reasons stated above:

1. backlog at WR

2. stat accumulator, peak play any given year was never at or near the top for WRs

3. somewhat of a career mercenary which dilutes his historical impact for any given team

We disagree, the nature of today's game means HOF-caliber players can easily play for multiple clubs. 1000 lifetime receptions is still a special achievement, and Boldin has a strong postseason record, plus a SB win. Like Hines Ward, he wasn't at the very top, but certainly in the elite grouping of receivers. I do agree with you about the backlog of future HOF receivers, so Boldin will likely have a decade or so wait.

His career is basically like Hines Ward, and both players were tough receivers that had a reputation for their physicality. But unlike Ward, Boldin never played for that Pittsburgh franchise so he won't be able to get in. Perhaps if he stuck in place he might have had a snowball chance, but as it stands he doesn't. He would belong in the Hall of Very Good careers. Then again, so do Curtis Martin and Jerome Bettis.

On 8/14/2017 at 5:33 PM, RuskieTitan said:

His career is basically like Hines Ward, and both players were tough receivers that had a reputation for their physicality. But unlike Ward, Boldin never played for that Pittsburgh franchise so he won't be able to get in. Perhaps if he stuck in place he might have had a snowball chance, but as it stands he doesn't. He would belong in the Hall of Very Good careers. Then again, so do Curtis Martin and Jerome Bettis.

I think it's more about qualifications that anything else. Curtis Martin and Jerome Bettis were on the short list of all time leading rushers in NFL history, so I don't know how that can possibly be a just very good achievement. Bettis was also fourth all time in career 100 yard games, which is more important than yards per carry. 

7 hours ago, LaserFocus said:

I think it's more about qualifications that anything else. Curtis Martin and Jerome Bettis were on the short list of all time leading rushers in NFL history, so I don't know how that can possibly be a just very good achievement. Bettis was also fourth all time in career 100 yard games, which is more important than yards per carry. 

Also Martin and Bettis both had multiple years where they were either the best RBs in the league or had a strong argument.

On 8/17/2017 at 5:49 PM, LaserFocus said:

Yes, I love how Martin and Bettis are constantly brought up as "Hall of Very Good" players, when they are at the top of their position in Yds (4th and 5th, at time of retirement) and top 10 in Rushing TDs. Yet players, within the same position group, neither had the longevity (Davis), nor were much, if any different than, Bettis and Martin, in their day, yet were thousands of yds (Csonka) or TDs (Thomas) short of these two, yet they are some how NOT the Hall of Very Good-types...and before the argument that 'well Csonka played in a different era' comes up, you're right, he didn't play in the 'pass-happy-offense' era. He also didn't dominate his era, either. He was relevant for 4 years MAX. Martin and Bettis? 7-8 at a minimum.

Archived