Preseason, Week 1: VIKINGS (0-0) at Broncos (0-0)

swede700

Who will pass for more yards in this game?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Who will pass for more yards in this game?

• Trevor Siemien
    • Paxton Lynch
    • Kyle Sloter
    • Chad Kelly
    • Other

On 8/6/2018 at 3:29 PM, swede700 said:

I've been out of high school for 26 years and I've yet to attend a high school reunion.  I'm waiting until 50 to see who's still alive.  

I've been out for 55 years, and not on the same continent for almost 50 of them. I hear that so many class members are either deceased or impossible to find, that 2-3 years put their parties together to get enough turnout.

4 hours ago, RpMc said:

I don’t think the team will try to sneak hill to the practice squad, and he was very much noticeable to me. Made one poor attempt on a tackle of a tight end, but came up in run support and had tight coverage during his time in there. 

Given that he was relatively highly thought of during the draft process aside from His off the field issues, corner needy teams would jump on him if he’s staying clean. 

I agree.  He'd be grabbed up for sure.  He's a good prospect, and should be kept.  He should be a pretty decent special teamer to justify his being kept as a back-up to the back-ups.  I think he's a future NFL regular.

6 hours ago, Klomp said:

Nice to see that Carlson can hit for long yards.  I guess Forbath is gone, and The Vikings' will not lose any more automatic 3 point plays.  That might be a difference between winning or losing 2 or 3 close games.  That was the difference a few years ago between an 8-8 season we had, and a 10-6 or 11-5.  THAT makes a big difference, given the chance for a decent playoff run, with some luck.  THIS season, Carlson, rather than Forbath, won't make the difference in making or not making the playoffs.  But, it might assure The Vikes of the higher, rather than lower playoff seeding.  Which might help a lot, especially if a key player is hurt.

I was very impressed with Sloter.  With both he and Simien as back-ups, I'm not worried about The QB situation.  Although, I hope both Elflein and Remmers can get healthy quickly, so that The OL can get as much time together as possible, to be able to be as good as possible at pass protection, and run blocking.  The OL looked surprisingly good.  But, they weren't playing against a dominant DL.  Cousins looks good with Diggs.  If The OL plays decently, The Vikings can have an NFL Top 5-7 offence.  THAT, together with the strong defence (which should be even better than last season, with the DL, defensive backfield, and even linebacking corps ALL improving.  Special teams should improve with Carlson, AND more experience playing together of the younger players.  I think The Vikings look like one of The NFL's Top 3 teams, along with The Eagles and Rams (with The Patriots also in the mix).

Brothers could be a cut

Kai should be a cut

Aruna looked raw & I'd think PS

Roc Thomas gotta be on 53

Waynes I think may have been beat on the 3rd down sideline throw, but Case over threw his WR.

Sloter could have higher ceiling than Siemen, but I don't think Vikings will move him up from #3 during the preseason.

Starting offense & starting defense "won" their series handily. 

Should have the best RB committee in the league.

1 hour ago, vike daddy said:

plusses and minuses from the game last night, gents...?

First drive for the offense was excellent. Cousins was accurate and made a quick decision on the TD in the face of immediate pressure (Compton got knocked back and both tackles gave up the edge). Run blocking was good on a couple of big plays to the right, behind Isidora and Hill (and Morgan). Diggs was great. 

Collins did OK at LT but was up and down at LG, gave up a quick pressure on one play and lost a couple of run blocks, while making a couple of nice blocks downfield, including on the long screen pass TD. Isidora was very good, might be charged for the sack but that was Siemian running around in the pocket. He otherwise held up well in pass protection, including picking up a T-E stunt and winning a number of 1-on-1 reps vs Derek Wolfe. His run blocking was solid, both at the LOS and the second level. O’Neill was very good in pass protection, might be charged with a hurry on Sloter’s TD to Beebe, when he and the RB failed to pick up a blitz/stunt,  though otherwise kept a clean sheet. Did pretty well as a run blocker too, consistently reaching the DL on zone run plays and getting in front of them. 

Hughes was excellent as a corner. Only one target, back of the end zone where the WR had to tip away an INT. Was in tight coverage every time I could see him on the broadcast view. Made a run stop and a tackle for a stop on a screen. Struggled as a returner but looks like he’ll be the 2nd best corner on the team before long. 

Hill had a rough night. Invited a lot of targets and didn’t make any plays on the ball (the one in the end zone was more of a drop than a PD from what I could see). Was also the gunner on the right on the punt return TD — took forever to get downfield working through a double team and then lost near side contain, pretty much a disaster there.

Bower was good as a pass rusher and got off some blocks in run defense. He looks bigger and stronger than last year. Got optioned out of the play on the TD run, which looked bad but wasn’t really his fault (Wilson got caught up in the wash and Harris couldn’t get within arm’s reach on an open field tackle. Weatherly struggled to get off blocks and didn’t make any plays, again. Odenigbo was good at 3-tech, got some nice penetration. Jaleel Johnson was OK at NT, got a QB hit from 3-tech. Parry made a couple of stops in the run game. Aruna was ineffective and took a bad penalty. 

Brothers was terrible. Wilson and Antwione Williams were OK, I guess. Devante Downs didn’t play, unfortunately.

Conklin didn’t do much. The INT was a bad throw but he did get 2 hands on it and maybe should’ve come down with it. 

Coley was the best of the depth WRs. Jones was good too. 

Boone was pretty good but Roc Thomas was excellent. 

Biggest plus is no obvious injuries. 

Archived