Good

• Autry was all over the place all game
  • Karl Joseph was a missile
  • Vanderdoes held his own and got some good push
  • EJ Manuel looks competent enough for a backup at least
  • Mario Edwards didn't get hurt
  • Marquette King looks as good as ever
  • Jaydon Mickens had some good catches/runs and returns
  • Shilique Calhoun definitely got bigger and looks much more comfortable on the line
  • James Cowser looked improved as well
  • Shalom Luani looks pretty much as advertised and opportunistic
  • Corey James looked solid
  • LaTroy Lewis got good pressure
  • Crockett played well
  • DeAndre Washington had a few good runs
  • Very few bones to pick with Downing's play calling.  Had some well timed play calls too.

Ho Hum

• Marquel Lee.  Not overly good or bad.  Had some decent coverage but also got beat.  Had a nice FR.  Looking to see him progress as the year goes on.

Bad

• First team secondary overall.  Just not getting it done.
  • Sean Smith. Not to pile on but he just did not look good.  His body language was poor too.
  • Run blocking wasn't exactly on point until Crockett was in.  Then again, it was our 2's vs their 1's the whole time.
  • Connor Cook didn't really inspire confidence

Ugly

• Mickens fumble
  • 2 minute drill clock management
  • Lame penalty on Jelly on the FG that became a TD

Feel free to add more

Cowser looked great from what I saw. All things considered, playing against the ones he looked like he was above the cut. 

Karl Joseph looked much improved, he looks like he could be a cornerstone back there for a long time. 

Also good to see Mario Edwards pushing people around getting places. 

I didn't notice much of Vanderdoes, I'll be on the lookout for him in game 2. 

The Good: Resting many of our starters.

Bad: Knowing the season is over if Carr is out.

Ugly: One HUGE cut day. You'll want to be in the top 50 on our current team as I think we will add 3 new guys after cuts.

Overall, I enjoyed watching the guys who'll be fighting for roster spots. I think CB Borders looks better than Sean Smith at this time. Going to waste 9 mil on that guy by the looks of it. I wanted to cut him and go after Gilmore before the FA begun and it looks like just cutting him period would have been best. Hopefully he'll get benched and step it up as he's gone next season. PED's needed or a move to FS. Not good

The starting secondary aside from KJ, did not look good. Amerson 's magic looks to have worn of the past season+. Smith is struggling and Carrie & Nelson were out of place. 

Liked what I saw from Cowser, who looks fundamentally sound.

Manuel will be a very good backup and maybe even starter again with him sitting learning.

Excited to see guys like Vanderdoes, Hester, Latham, Edwards in a young DT rotation.

1 hour ago, RaiderX said:

The starting secondary aside from KJ, did not look good. Amerson 's magic looks to have worn of the past season+. Smith is struggling and Carrie & Nelson were out of place. 

Liked what I saw from Cowser, who looks fundamentally sound.

Manuel will be a very good backup and maybe even starter again with him sitting learning.

Excited to see guys like Vanderdoes, Hester, Latham, Edwards in a young DT rotation.

Agree with pretty much all of this.  Jihad Ward will come back eventually too, though I wonder where he'll fit with our apparent logjam at DL.  I'd say its evident MEJ, Autry, and Vanderdoes have the upper hand on him on the field.  Hester, Latham, and Jelly kind of play different positions though.

Can't wait to see the young DBs in action, as @RaidersAreOne said

8 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Sean Smith is done. His foot speed has been completely diminished. Going to be a lot of dead money to cut him, but it has to happen. He looks like the 6th best CB on the roster right now.

Dammit how did you find this place?;)

8 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Sean Smith is done. His foot speed has been completely diminished. Going to be a lot of dead money to cut him, but it has to happen. He looks like the 6th best CB on the roster right now.

So is that still just a hot take then, or does it have legs now? ;)

I feel like he can bounce back a bit but I do think he'll be a liability more often than not even still.  I'd rather attempt to get him to take a pay cut than cut him outright though.  Conley needs all the help he can get learning to jam.  Then again, Brandin Cooks knows Sean Smith forgets to do that from time to time lol.  His demeanor has to change overall also.

19 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

He seemed to settle down after he struggled early in the season. I think he has a better shot at recovering than Amerson TBH.

I only watched up to the half but here's my list:

Good

Corey James was hustling to make a play on seemingly every snap. Looked like a competent starter.

Offensive play calling under Todd Downing showed nice rhythm and play diversity - even in the context of the preseason.

E.J. Manuel looks like a competent backup.

DeAndre Washington ran well and looked effective on a blitz pickup snap.

Defensive line looks revitalized with standout rookies.

Speaking of revitalized: Clive Walford. Looks like a new player.

Bad

Both Amerson and Smith looked terrible.

Marquel Lee looked overmatched and stiff against the run and pass.

Defense, overall.

Ugly

Sebastian Janikowsi's missed 51-yard attempt.

Archived