Good, Bad, Ugly Preseason Week 1 vs Cardinals

Silver&Black88

21 minutes ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

Since we are paying him either way, I want to see more of Sean Smith in that hybrid S/LB/TE cover guy role.

I know that's essentially what we drafted Obi to do this year, but I don't trust a raw rookie who has missed a good chunk of time to be the remedy right away. TEs will eat him alive right now.

Maybe Smith can carve out a role there. But I agree with others, I believe he's done as a boundary corner. 

ha whoops, should have read the rest of the thread.

agree with you as well

From the very little I saw, Luani looked pretty impressive. IIRC he was deemed more of a ballhawk coming into the league rather than a tackler. But his willingness to get in the box is redeeming. Hopefully some good solid (and cheap) depth!

"“In the regular season he [Smith] allowed a 56.8 percent catch rate, which is in the top quarter of the NFL for players with 825+ snaps. He allowed a catch on just 1 in every 11.6 coverage snaps, which is in the top third of the league."

Yeah... I hope people didn't say he looked bad last year because of 2 games. He played good enough that I'm willing to wait before throwing him under the bus, or saying he can only cover tight ends or play dime linebacker. He had 2 pretty bad games last year too, before bouncing back. The difference is that this is the preseason. If you go back and watch him against Sammy Watkins 2 years ago, he looked super out of sorts and played worse than he did in this presason game. He then bounced back and had a pretty damn good season that year, considering how much attention he got on the open market.

Point being, yeah, he sucked in game 1. But it was preseason and the dude has shown patterns of good and bad play in his career before.

The ugly for me is the play nobody talks about cause palmer missed the throw. Was the corner beat? Was it a miscommunication? The wr was wide open in middle of field. The way carrie played it, it look like he thought he was playing a zone. But im not sure. But that our biggest problem on defense last year showed its ugly head early. Need to get that fixed. 

18 minutes ago, dante9876 said:

The ugly for me is the play nobody talks about cause palmer missed the throw. Was the corner beat? Was it a miscommunication? The wr was wide open in middle of field. The way carrie played it, it look like he thought he was playing a zone. But im not sure. But that our biggest problem on defense last year showed its ugly head early. Need to get that fixed. 

There were a few occasions where the Cardinal QB's missed wide open targets. Broken coverages are a common theme with a KNJ Defense it seems.

13 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

If the communication stays bad and can't be coached up, someone will get fired for it. This is professional football, not rocket science. These guys should be in position and be able to do their jobs. Crazy how many blown coverages there were last game.

Exactly, this is why we brought in Pagano if the defense can't get it together heads will roll. They have the talent they need to put it together. 

15 minutes ago, Chali21 said:

Exactly, this is why we brought in Pagano if the defense can't get it together heads will roll. They have the talent they need to put it together. 

Agreed. It's not like I'm rooting against KNJ, but we've invested enough in the defense for it to be respectable. The talent is there now, but it has to gel.

Joseph was looking really good all things considered when I was rewatching some old games from last year. Add in Obi as a cover guy and I think we'll see a lot less explosive run/pass plays.

One thing I really did like in the first preseason game was that there was a lot more presnap disguise than last year. Last year was as vanilla as it gets. I also wanna see more creativity with safety blitzes using karl, or a gap blitzes with marquel lee, who was a really good blitzer at wake forest.

My hope is that more disguise, better interior rush (healthy autry, healthy MEJ, Eddie V), less explosive plays, and having Conley to cover speed/quick guys will be enough to push this defense over the top.

2 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

"Pagano on Sean Smith: everybody has bad days, liked back to back good practices this week, now he has to translate that to good game film."

He's still done right?

If he keeps getting toasted like a campfire marshmellow in games, yes, he is.

tenor.gif

Maybe I'm wrong but it seemed to me that a lot of the time the defenders where too far away from the guys they where covering. It was like they where giving them too much space. Idk if that was scheme or just the players being slow. 

A lot being made about Karl Joseph, and rightfully so. Dude looks as advertised. He should be a centerpiece of this defense for a long time. The play that he reacts so quickly that he literally runs past the blocker to make the tackle was a thing of beauty. He was also comfortable enough to come in and lay the wood on D. Johnson. I'm downright giddy about how good he will be.

But that was expected. I found the play of Cory James perhaps the most heartening of those first few (awful) drives. I mean he wasn't a monster or anything, but just getting solid play out of one of the off ball LB spots is big for this D. Something we haven't really had around in quite awhile (other than Perry, who was never supposed to be a part of the future). By all indications, he has been the best LB in practice too. Seems like he is going to fill one glaring hole. It's one less box to check, and that's a good thing.

Archived