Preseason Week 1 Bears @ Bengals

MrCincinnati

1 hour ago, theJ said:

You can't bemoan the picks you never had a chance to make.  I'm sure they would have liked to have taken Chubb too, but he wasn't an option...

This more akin to us taking WJIII and the Steelers getting Artie Burns.  On the one hand it's great that we did this to our rivals.  On the other, it's probably our most notable win against them over the past several years...lol

1 hour ago, TheVillain112 said:

This more akin to us taking WJIII and the Steelers getting Artie Burns.  One the one hand it's great that we did this to our rivals.  On the other, it's probably our most notable win against them over the past several years...lol

A Steelers fan buddy of mine brings this up every time we talk football haha.  So i'll take that one win. :)

3 hours ago, theJ said:

You can't bemoan the picks you never had a chance to make.  I'm sure they would have liked to have taken Chubb too, but he wasn't an option...

Bingo!

I started the Ragnow hype train.  But we weren't trading up and he wasn't there.  That's all

20 hours ago, TheVillain112 said:

Westerman being out sick (and losing weight I heard due to it) is probably why Hopkins is the starting RG.  From what I've seen thus far, I'm not thrilled with the Hopkins-Hart combo.  I'm hoping Westerman can take over the starting RG position before Week 1.  I'm actually Ok with Hart at RT tho...

I'm the exact opposite on what you feel. Not as mad about Hopkins being the starter at the moment, although I'm not thrilled with any of the options regardless. Even though Hopkins was awful last year, it was basically a rookie year for him, so maybe he can turn it around, but I agree Westerman has the best celling. When a guy like Hart rated by PFF to be worse than fricken Cedric Ogbuehi, you know that's a problem.

5 hours ago, Carson4MVP said:

Or lose someone to injury because the extended playing time.

Thinking the same thing, but some of these guys need to play a bit longer when its all said and done. It wouldn't be a big loss if they lost someone competing for the RG or RT job, because they got other options even if none of them seem good. Boling and Glenn are the only 2 guys who don't need extended playing time, could care less if Glenn has struggled in camp, thats expected when he played like 5 games last year. Billy Price can play the first half, I'll take my chances there.

2 hours ago, theJ said:

A Steelers fan buddy of mine brings this up every time we talk football haha.  So i'll take that one win. :)

Still plenty of time for Jackson to turn into a bust, all it takes is a career ending injury. JK

In all seriousness though, have to eat the crow on this one. I still remember raging after that pick saying "worst 1st round pick ever". 

11 hours ago, MrCincinnati said:

I'm the exact opposite on what you feel. Not as mad about Hopkins being the starter at the moment, although I'm not thrilled with any of the options regardless. Even though Hopkins was awful last year, it was basically a rookie year for him, so maybe he can turn it around, but I agree Westerman has the best celling. When a guy like Hart rated by PFF to be worse than fricken Cedric Ogbuehi, you know that's a problem.

RG and RT are going to be a problem all year.  But i'm still holding out a sliver of hope that Hart just had personality and/or scheme issues with the Giants, and that he can still turn into a decent tackle.  He's only a fourth year player.

I don't see how Ced or Fisher can turn it around in Cincinnati at this point.  So i have no optimism there.

11 hours ago, MrCincinnati said:

Thinking the same thing, but some of these guys need to play a bit longer when its all said and done. It wouldn't be a big loss if they lost someone competing for the RG or RT job, because they got other options even if none of them seem good. Boling and Glenn are the only 2 guys who don't need extended playing time, could care less if Glenn has struggled in camp, thats expected when he played like 5 games last year. Billy Price can play the first half, I'll take my chances there.

Yeah they're just going to have to take their chances.  An injury to Price, Glenn or Boling would be bad.  But Price, Hart and Hopkins need some extended playing time.

That being said, i still don't see Price going much beyond the starters.  Maybe 3-4 series.  Hart and Hopkins may go a little longer, but probably not much.  Games are for execution, practice is for improving.  No sense in beating them up since it likely won't improve their performance much anyway.

19 hours ago, theJ said:

You know that's not the same thing. I'm simply drawing a comparison between two similar prospects. One we all boarded the hype train for and is looking good so far, the other we were all indifferent to and is struggling thus far.

Reminds me of Zeitler versus Decastro. Though that was different because we had a actual choice between the two.

So how much do you guys put the crappy line play the last year on Zampeze/Alexander vs The front office? I have to blame Mikey and company for not at least resigning either Whit or Zeitler and their line of reasoning that the line was bad even when they were here is bunk because that year blame should 100% go to Zamp/Alexander.

27 minutes ago, Futbudds said:

So how much do you guys put the crappy line play the last year on Zampeze/Alexander vs The front office? I have to blame Mikey and company for not at least resigning either Whit or Zeitler and their line of reasoning that the line was bad even when they were here is bunk because that year blame should 100% go to Zamp/Alexander.

I blame everyone.  Last year was bad, but the year before wasn't good either. 

Even with Whit and Zeitler the OL had it's issues.  It was Ok in pass blocking, not giving up sacks/pressures but didn't exactly give Dalton a clean pocket.  It was subpar in run blocking though.  I was fine with moving on from Zeitler and Whit, but then we didn't upgrade which just made everything worse.  Also Bodine being on both of those lines was obviously the biggest issue.  Zeitler isn't worth the contract Cleveland signed him to.  Whit is still good, but this is the last season I expect him to be a Top 10-15 OT.

I'm happy with the offseason changes we made this season but also know it'll take time.  We can't fix 4 OL spots in one offseason.  Fixed 2 (hopefully), maybe 3 (if Westerman or Hopkins steps up) this season.  Still need to fix RT next offseason...

1 hour ago, Futbudds said:

I blame Alexander a ton for convincing Mike brown that Ced and Fishwer ready to take over.  I blame Brown for allowing this power struggle between Marvin and PA to exist for so long, as well as actually laking his line coaches preference over the head coaches.  Marvin wanted Whit.  Zampese should have also stepped in and said something about the awful play of Ced/Fish, but he didn't, so bl;ame him too. In hindsight, it feels like Alexander and Zampese were all in together on whatever they were envisioning the future of the team and possibly life after Marvin would look like.  It was ugly, whatever it was.  maybe Brown was considering them for life after Lewis.  No matter how you cut it, it still sucked from camp to the final defensive snap of the third o last game of the season.

12 hours ago, theJ said:

RG and RT are going to be a problem all year.  But i'm still holding out a sliver of hope that Hart just had personality and/or scheme issues with the Giants, and that he can still turn into a decent tackle.  He's only a fourth year player.

I don't see how Ced or Fisher can turn it around in Cincinnati at this point.  So i have no optimism there.

Fair enough on Hart I suppose, especially considering its a fresh start for him, and sometimes those second chances in the NFL make the difference. I agree the same with Cedric and Fisher, but at the same time the team bought the stock on those guys and are trying to hope that either one of those guys pays off.

Archived