The Official Sports Law Basketball Thread

the lone star

"Not only can the plaintiffs now show that schools themselves separate athletes from the rest of campus, they can also show that the system didn’t come crumbling down when players did get paid. For instance, Marvin Bagley, whose family went from bankruptcy to a pristine house due to allegedly “illicit” payments, made the Atlantic Coast Conference’s All-Academic team while starring at Duke. Michigan State star Miles Bridges and his family were implicated in the scandal, but Bridges opted to return to school last year when he could have gone to the NBA, because “he really likes being in college.” Known for mingling with students on campus, his coach, Tom Izzo, praised his academic ability and said that he “loved being part of this community.” How were these star players able to be “non-amateurs,” according to the NCAA, but still embrace their roles as students?"

"But what if everyone is wrong? What if the Warriors are breaking the NBA, but not actually ruining it, if that makes sense?"

"Or the Warriors will win again, furthering a dynasty that may leave a lot of people frustrated, but certainly is not ruining the NBA."

I'd be interested in seeing if this could work in the NBA or even for prospects coming out of high school, college, or overseas.

Philadelphia Eagles offensive lineman Chance Warmack will become the first NFL player to collect on a loss-of-value policy.

Warmack took out an insurance policy that would have him collect if his second contract in the NFL was less than $20 million, sources told ESPN.

Warmack, the 10th pick of the Tennessee Titans in the 2013 draft, got a one-year deal from the Eagles worth $1.5 million last year, which triggered the policy.

Sources said Warmack filed to collect and was informed by Lloyd's of London this week that he would receive the maximum payout of about $3 million.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/24202598/chance-warmack-1st-nfler-collect-loss-value-insurance-policy

i took a sports law class over the summer and while doing research on something realized kerryon johnson filed a trademark on a saying like "keep calm and kerryon" & the manner in which he filed it would invalidate all of auburn wins that occurred after like early november because he violated some rule. i can't really remember the specifics. used it as part of my research paper tho.

12 hours ago, FinneasGage said:

i took a sports law class over the summer and while doing research on something realized kerryon johnson filed a trademark on a saying like "keep calm and kerryon" & the manner in which he filed it would invalidate all of auburn wins that occurred after like early november because he violated some rule. i can't really remember the specifics. used it as part of my research paper tho.

Wow, that's pretty crazy. I'll have to research about that.

Archived