[HogsHaven] Skins Stats & Snaps: Redskins @ Ravens (Defense/ST)

Woz

https://www.hogshaven.com/2017/8/12/16130584/skins-stats-amp-snaps-redskins-ravens-defense

The Redskins' defense fared much better than the offense did in the team's preseason opener.

A handful of the Burgundy and Gold's defensive starters were in on the Ravens' third drive of the game, which lasted 8-plays and went for 57-yards and a touchdown; but most of the first-team defense only participated on the first two drives of the game. Baltimore only gained 11 yards and went three-and-out on those series.

In total, the defense gave up 19 first down and 267 yards of offense. The Ravens were also only able to convert on 5 of their 15 third down attempts (33%) and average 3.4 yards per rush and 5.0 yards per pass attempt (4 yards per offensive play).

The primary issue for Greg Manusky's defensive unit was penalties. The defense committed 4 infractions for 61 yards, with each penalty resulting in a Baltimore first down. The Ravens scored on two of the three drives in which the defense was flagged.

Just as it was with the offense, the six snaps taken by the majority of the starting defense was a record low for the Redskins in Weeks 1-3 of the preseason (data dating back to 2012). Look for the starters on both sides of the ball to get much more work next week against the Green Bay Packers.

Not to be outdone, the HogsHaven guys also gave a breakdown of the defense. Here, they did much better ... except for the bolded part. Now, some of those penalties can be attributed to some DUMB pass interference situations by guys who will almost assuredly won't make the roster (Tevin Homer, thank you for playing, please hand in your playbook at your earliest convenience). The most painful penalty has to belong to Stacy McGee's "lining up over the center" phantom penalty, which helped turn a Tucker field goal miss into a West rushing touchdown. It doesn't help that McGee also turned in no other stats for the night.

Interesting stat: both Mason Foster and Zach Brown got 12 snaps each. They also ended up with 4 tackles (3 solo, 1 assist for Foster; 2 & 2 for Brown). That means they both averaged a tackle on 33% of their available snaps. Will Compton had no stats in the game in just six snaps.

7 hours ago, SeanTayorsaPIMP said:

So since we moved to this new format, is there no way of going back to the original draft thread when we selected Ryan Anderson and the majority of this forum hated the pick? I would love to keep that in back pocket for the upcoming season B|. I am so amped for this kid. 

The old forums will be kept around as a read-only version. So, you can go link back to it if you like.

I will admit that early returns do not favor my read on Anderson. That said, I still maintain Cunningham would have been the better selection (even knowing what would happen with Murphy). For the record, I didn't hate the pick so much as think we could have gotten better talent with it.

Archived