Browns trade WR Corey Coleman to the Bills

Texansfan713

1 minute ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Coleman can really play... if he had a qb situation to work with. I don't think the Bills will unlock his talent. He'll go somewhere else and thrive IMO.

He also needs to learn to catch. 

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

He also needs to learn to catch. 

Yeah his hands weren't good last year, but his physical talent is undeniable. He was a real player in college and not developing on the gutter of the NFL over the past 2 seasons isn't an indictment on him as much as his situation.

5 minutes ago, mistakey said:

he cant though

He's had broken hand injuries the past 2 seasons and has dealt with the browns QB situation. We don't know if he can or not, he could always pull an agholor.

32 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Yeah his hands weren't good last year, but his physical talent is undeniable. He was a real player in college and not developing on the gutter of the NFL over the past 2 seasons isn't an indictment on him as much as his situation.

I wouldn't have given up on him yet because I think there is a scenario where he could succeed. He won't be a #1 or an upper tier #2 but he could still find success. He didn't produce as well as Gordon last year, or Higgins or even Ricardo Louis so the talent itself isn't great but if he catches better he could be okay somewhere.

8 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

I wouldn't have given up on him yet because I think there is a scenario where he could succeed. He won't be a #1 or an upper tier #2 but he could still find success. He didn't produce as well as Gordon last year, or Higgins or even Ricardo Louis so the talent itself isn't great but if he catches better he could be okay somewhere.

I can't really make determinations on receivers until they're at least 3-4 years in the league. Furthermore, that's on organizations that develop talent. The Browns sadly haven't done that. Obviously I like what Dorsey is doing, but I have a hard time believing that if Coleman was on a team with a better offense/qb, he would have played a lot better.

Also, I just don't get trading him for a 2020 7th if he was garbage in camp. He has 2 years dirt cheap on his deal. He's a young receiver. Why not keep him and see how things play out? How about injuries? I just think it was idiotic of Dorsey to trade him so early on and I like Dorsey's moves in general.

59 minutes ago, SwoleXmad said:

He's had broken hand injuries the past 2 seasons and has dealt with the browns QB situation. We don't know if he can or not, he could always pull an agholor.

yet hes been outplayed by rishard higgins, sent home from the team for breaking team rules, been involved in a beating, and hasn't been able to become reliable in the mental game on the field

i think its pretty fair to bag on the browns for always making bad decisions, but if you look at their decisions to move on from former first round picks- they usually get it right.  sure seems like they never end up turning out great after they leave the browns.  people said the same thing about erving too.  and gilbert.  

21 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

@BigMountainGoat, you said that you’d rather fail trying to be better than sit and mediocrity, which is fair. But you could’ve sat on the quarterback that you got to the playoffs with and still had your potential QBOTF. 

Tyrod will never win anyone a championship, so the Bills cashed him and got a key piece of the D with the pick. We would never have got Edmunds without getting rid of Tyrod

3 minutes ago, BigMountainGoat said:

Tyrod will never win anyone a championship, so the Bills cashed him and got a key piece of the D with the pick. We would never have got Edmunds without getting rid of Tyrod

Tyrod is a super bowl winning QB how dare you sir.

5 minutes ago, mistakey said:

yet hes been outplayed by rishard higgins, sent home from the team for breaking team rules, been involved in a beating, and hasn't been able to become reliable in the mental game on the field

i think its pretty fair to bag on the browns for always making bad decisions, but if you look at their decisions to move on from former first round picks- they usually get it right.  sure seems like they never end up turning out great after they leave the browns.  people said the same thing about erving too.  and gilbert.  

Eh fair enough on the other castoffs but Coleman's had the worst injury a WR can have two years in a row with 1-31 levels of coaching so I'm hesitant to write him off like the others

20 minutes ago, SwoleXmad said:

Tyrod is a super bowl winning QB how dare you sir.

Eh fair enough on the other castoffs but Coleman's had the worst injury a WR can have two years in a row with 1-31 levels of coaching so I'm hesitant to write him off like the others

You will when crap like this happens. This is not a rare thing from Coleman. 

5 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

3 years ago Bills brought Tyrod in to compete not thinking he would actually come close as you will see his contract back then wasn't all that good but he wanted a chance to compete and get a starting job rather then sit behind Joe Flacco with the ravens. He didnt look great in camp but come preseason he started to show flashes to Rex Ryan and thats what won them over. They still had Ej Manuel that was on the team at the time thinking he would win out at some point but it never happened. Fast forward to when Tyrod got an extension he still showed some potential but was consistent with his issues, not seeing open wr, running with the ball rather then pushing to throw it, automatic check downs and holding the ball to long. If your going to pay a qb starting money you expect him to throw the ball more then count on running as thats what the position is for and unfortunately Tyrod wasnt doing that. You were able to move on by trading him for the 1st pick in the 3rd round which is great value for the bills as they didnt see him as a long term answer and Mcdermott/beane didnt have any ties to Tyrod as that was an old regimes guy. McCarron is another 5th round back up QB from the Afc North that is looking to get out of the shadows of the starting qb. Bills were able to crack a cheap deal to get him and bring him in to do what tyrod was doing which was being a bridge qb that will give Josh Allen competition. Since browns had the funds to pay tyrod it made sense for them to be willing to pay his contract but he is still not the answer the browns are looking for even paying him the money and giving away the top pick in the 3rd round for him. They still spent the 1st overall pick on Baker so their confidence in Tyrod long term isnt there either they just want a bridge where they do not have to do what they did to Kizer by throwing him out there as soon as possible. 

Appreciate the soliloquy. I’m aware of all that. I don’t agree with every bit of it, but I’m aware. 

I agree, saving money is good. It’s the fact that you’re sacrificing the competitiveness of the season for those dollars, that I disagree with. 

1 hour ago, BigMountainGoat said:

No one said he’d win the Bills a championship. But he went to the playoffs with that team. McCarron isn’t going to do that.

Whether or not you would get Edmunds (who is an unknown, not really a “key piece” quite yet) can’t really be known. The Bills had other ammo and obviously Baltimore had no issues moving down. But I won’t get into that because neither of us know. 

The disconnect comes from the idea that I’d trade a third round pick for a competitive season, even if I had virtually no hope of winning it all. It beats not being in a bunch of football games (although if you wanted to argue that you’d rather tank a season where you won’t win, I’d entertain that).

3 hours ago, BigMountainGoat said:

We would never have got Edmunds without getting rid of Tyrod

You would have never got Edmuds without trading Glenn. Or trading two 2nd round picks. Otherwise it would have taken both 1st round picks to move up for a QB. So if you say Taylor is the only reason you got Edmunds I will says Taylor, Glenn, two seconds round picks and #22 overall are the reason you got Edmunds.

1 hour ago, Yin-Yang said:

Appreciate the soliloquy. I’m aware of all that. I don’t agree with every bit of it, but I’m aware. 

I agree, saving money is good. It’s the fact that you’re sacrificing the competitiveness of the season for those dollars, that I disagree with. 

No one said he’d win the Bills a championship. But he went to the playoffs with that team. McCarron isn’t going to do that.

Whether or not you would get Edmunds (who is an unknown, not really a “key piece” quite yet) can’t really be known. The Bills had other ammo and obviously Baltimore had no issues moving down. But I won’t get into that because neither of us know. 

The disconnect comes from the idea that I’d trade a third round pick for a competitive season, even if I had virtually no hope of winning it all. It beats not being in a bunch of football games (although if you wanted to argue that you’d rather tank a season where you won’t win, I’d entertain that).

How do we know that McCarron isnt going to do that? No one expected tyrod to do that? We actually have no idea what Aj will or wont do with the bills. Not to mention we have no idea what or how Haley and Hue will handle tyrod as the bills had to dumb the offense down and involve the run game as the main source of attack with little passing involved because tyrod wasnt capable of it. It is no surprise that the bills have fired 2 OCs in the last 2 years because they were getting killed with the limited qb. Dennison had a good amount of reason to get canned but he was handcuffed on the talent that was there at qb. I cannot speak for most bills fans but I am tired of the constant seasons of going 6-10 to 9-7 every year because your not good enough to make the playoffs wit the exception to last year based on a weak afc conference and the help of the ravens just crumbling under pressure. With thos records it also means the bills are to good to not get a top pick without having to trade up to do so. The best chance the bills have had in 15 years was pick 3 to get Marcel Darues and even that sucked cause Cam Newton and Von Miller were the two studs to be coming out at the time and still had no chance at them. Im glad the bills moved on and took a risk at qb freeing up cap space to build around him in the future even if it cost the bills the 2018 season it is still the right move because they will have their own "franchise qb" whether it happens is another story and they will have the 2nd most cap space in the offseason to build around Allen and the future along with the foundation they have done in the last 18-24 months. Tyrod was a simple mediocre stop gap qb and it wasnt worth continuing to restrict the offense and the team financially by keeping him around. If you think Tyrod is worth it at the end of the season let us know but I am just going off of what I have seen the last 3 years and he is nothing special, any other qb in the league could have got the bills to Jacksonville in the wild card with everything else working in their favor.

Archived