Browns trade WR Corey Coleman to the Bills

Texansfan713

5 hours ago, SwoleXmad said:

Not even close mate, he was just the 49ers GM's puppet/scapegoat. Bad coach but nowhere close to worst in NFL history.

Any coach that is signed for a year, and has a terrible one is in the conversation for me. He really seemed lost on the sidelines during games.

5 hours ago, mistakey said:

Haha alleged assault in civil court is the off field issue? its all heresy with no evidence proving he was the one behind it or it would actually be in regular court and being charged with actual assault rather then someone trying to get free money off of a football player. I guess its acceptable for sexual assault and credit theft found guilty in regular court is worth drafting a player. Maybe the relentless pot smoking is acceptable too but an alleged assault is where Dorsey needs to make a stand! enjoy a 7th round pick and paying him 3 million not to be in Cleveland rather then seeing what he can do in the next 2 years when he is healthy. Dez Bryant will be a solid replacement, on the decline will cost more and hes a disaster on and off the field with his spouse and locker room issues stated by previous players. Hopefully tyrod will get the ball to him cause if he was anything like he was in Buffalo dez will demand to be released by week 5

2 hours ago, Crickett said:

In the case of Tyrod Taylor, I'd say bottom five, bottom seven at best; but there is a case to be made he is a bottom three starting quarterback in the NFL, especially if you're assuming that a not-terrible Teddy Bridgewater is the starting quarterback for the Jets and not counting unknowns.   Just the same, if you polled FF, the worst QB situation in the league is without question Buffalo. 

Now, if the Browns have a surrounding cast of Josh Gordon, Antonio Callaway, Jarvis Landry, David Njoku, Duke Johnson, Nick Chubb, Carlos Hyde and possibly Dez Bryant, that's a group of talent that can elevate Tyrod Taylor. But subtract a few of those and things don't look nearly as rosy given the Browns offensive line situation. 

To say the Bills are the worst Qb situation in the league is a reach. They are definitely one of the many unknown because not one of them has been a full time starter. Just like they were in a few years ago when they had Ej and Tyrod taylor coming from Baltimore. Tyrod showed what he is capable of doing and even with the unknown in sight for the bills the Gm risked moving on from him simply because they knew it wasnt worth keeping him around. He counted on the run game the last 2 years because he cannot throw a ball. He was dead last in holding the ball the longest while WR were open, he didnt risk throwing to them to have they make a play, he threw the ball the least to a wr in the league. Hell Zay Jones had one of the highest % in the league of uncatchable balls because of him. His height has hindered him because at times he is unable to see his wr in the middle of the field. Bills have 2 guys that blog and break down every game there are multiple slides/videos showing that Tyrod either takes the sack runs the ball or checks down leaving WR wide open down the middle of the field with no DB around them. When it comes to game ending decisions he has no vision for it just look at 2016 Seattle game, 2017 Carolina game etc. Tyrod was a poor game manager and thats what he will be. People can blame the talent around him but look at what Robert Woods and Marquis Goodwin did last year with the qbs they had and they were blamed in 2016 for tyrods faults. You will be asking for Baker come week 5-6 when Tyrod only has a 100 yards passing and it is check downs to the RB or short slot passes to Landry which he was known for in Miami. I am glad the bills are going with the unknown this year whether it pans out or not they have a future qb with Allen and thats what every bills fan cares about even if they were against drafting Allen. I didnt even know it was possible until last year that a qb can throw for less than 100 yards in a game. Just dont get your hopes up on tyrod. He will show flashes at times and then at times you will sit there and wonder how did that ball go incomplete when it was a 3 yard toss. Oh and 3rd and long 90% of the time was a 5 yd check down to tolbert last year. Wait until that happens. If it wasnt for Shady and Hausch money the bills offense would have been nonexistent last year.

41 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Any coach that is signed for a year, and has a terrible one is in the conversation for me. He really seemed lost on the sidelines during games.

A coach who lasts one season doesn't do any long term damage usually, I mean they sucked but they didn't drive a franchise into the ground like say Jeff Fisher or a medicore HC for 3-5 years would do. I get why he's in consideration but the 49ers bounced back almost immediately after he was fired.

3 hours ago, BigMountainGoat said:

The Bills won despite Tyrod, not because of Tyrod.

You sure it wasnt because the Bills decided that rolling into the season with Charles Clay and 2 trashcans on wheels for WRs was a good idea?

Im not saying Tyrod is some elite QB because hes far from it-but Bills fans acting like Tyrod Taylor is a Brock Osweiler clone is a bit too far. 

8 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

To say the Bills are the worst Qb situation in the league is a reach. They are definitely one of the many unknown because not one of them has been a full time starter. Just like they were in a few years ago when they had Ej and Tyrod taylor coming from Baltimore. Tyrod showed what he is capable of doing and even with the unknown in sight for the bills the Gm risked moving on from him simply because they knew it wasnt worth keeping him around. He counted on the run game the last 2 years because he cannot throw a ball. He was dead last in holding the ball the longest while WR were open, he didnt risk throwing to them to have they make a play, he threw the ball the least to a wr in the league. Hell Zay Jones had one of the highest % in the league of uncatchable balls because of him. His height has hindered him because at times he is unable to see his wr in the middle of the field. Bills have 2 guys that blog and break down every game there are multiple slides/videos showing that Tyrod either takes the sack runs the ball or checks down leaving WR wide open down the middle of the field with no DB around them. When it comes to game ending decisions he has no vision for it just look at 2016 Seattle game, 2017 Carolina game etc. Tyrod was a poor game manager and thats what he will be. People can blame the talent around him but look at what Robert Woods and Marquis Goodwin did last year with the qbs they had and they were blamed in 2016 for tyrods faults. You will be asking for Baker come week 5-6 when Tyrod only has a 100 yards passing and it is check downs to the RB or short slot passes to Landry which he was known for in Miami. I am glad the bills are going with the unknown this year whether it pans out or not they have a future qb with Allen and thats what every bills fan cares about even if they were against drafting Allen. I didnt even know it was possible until last year that a qb can throw for less than 100 yards in a game. Just dont get your hopes up on tyrod. He will show flashes at times and then at times you will sit there and wonder how did that ball go incomplete when it was a 3 yard toss. Oh and 3rd and long 90% of the time was a 5 yd check down to tolbert last year. Wait until that happens. If it wasnt for Shady and Hausch money the bills offense would have been nonexistent last year.

I don't think anyone is saying Tyrod is great. I had high hopes for him and it looked good year one. Year two he didn't really progress nor in year three. I have soured on him since but I still don't agree he is terrible. He is what he is. He won't win you games and he won't turn the ball over much.

Now I don't believe he had wide receivers streaking down the field wide open all of the time, I'm sure it happened at times and all QBs miss those. Hopefully for the Bills Allen works out, occasionally a mediocre college QB with a great arm works out and maybe that will be the case for the Bills. My money would be on the Bills having to wait quite a few years before they get a QB on the roster with a winning record but we shall see.

Just now, AkronsWitness said:

You sure it wasnt because the Bills decided that rolling into the season with Charles Clay and 2 trashcans on wheels for WRs was a good idea?

Im not saying Tyrod is some elite QB because hes far from it-but Bills fans acting like Tyrod Taylor is a Brock Osweiler clone is a bit too far. 

Going into season Mathews was a more proven WR than Watkins was. They also had Boldin up and retire again which obviously left them scrambling. 

It really isn't a coincidence that Watkins, Woods, Goodwin and Hogan had their best years away from Tyrod and the Bills. 

1 minute ago, AkronsWitness said:

Tyrod is a better QB than Corey Coleman is a WR.

4 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

To say the Bills are the worst Qb situation in the league is a reach.

Name one current team with a worse starting quarterback in the NFL than the Bills. 

7 minutes ago, soflbillsfan said:

He was dead last in holding the ball the longest while WR were open, he didnt risk throwing to them to have they make a play, he threw the ball the least to a wr in the league.

Of course he did.  He's a risk averse quarterback and you have (had prior to this trade) the worst receiver corps in the NFL too.  If he didn't trust Zay Jones, I would assume it was because he somehow went from being someone who was the all time college leader in receptions to someone who couldn't catch a cold if you left him in Antarctica for two weeks and Kelvin Benjamin, well when is Kelvin Benjamin truly open? 

Make no mistake, I may think Tyrod Taylor is a terrible quarterback and a poor man's version of Alex Smith, but Bills fans saw why he was as risk averse as he was when they tried to put his backup Nathan Peterception (who is somehow in the running to start for the Bills) in the game.  Tyrod Taylor may be bottom five, maybe even bottom three, but the Bills are the absolute worst and there is no close second. 

4 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

It really isn't a coincidence that Watkins, Woods, Goodwin and Hogan had their best years away from Tyrod and the Bills. 

Well Watkins’ best season was 2015...Taylor’s first with Buffalo. 

Hogan went to play with the GOAT. 

Goodwin and Woods went to play with better quarterbacks in systems that were ran by two of the best offensive minds in football. 

So of the four, the most talented had his best year in Buffalo and the other three either went to play with A) an amazing QB with a good offensive mind, or B) a good QB in an amazing offensive system. Not really saying much there.

5 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

It isn't a coincidence because it isn't true. Goodwin is really the only one that saw a real increase in production (besides TD which is about the only increase the other 3 has had besides playing time) and he started all 16 games for his new team. 

5 hours ago, Crickett said:

This doesn't follow for a couple of reasons.

Calling Tyrod Taylor terrible doesn't make him the worst in the league.  Buffalo had a terrible quarterback in Tyrod Taylor.  But they have managed to find a way to downgrade the position.  It's like how Cleveland had terrible quarterbacks in Josh McCown and Johnny Manziel, but managed to find a way to downgrade to Robert Griffin III and Cody Kessler and then managed to find away to downgrade again to DeShone Kizer.  Just because Kizer was the worst doesn't make RG3, Cody Kessler, Johnny Manziel or Josh McCown good, it just makes them better by comparison. 

But quarterback isn't the only position the Bills offense downgraded.  In fact, without the new addition of Corey Coleman, you could argue the Bills had an across the board degradation in talent with the sole exception of TE, where they stayed the same. 

Teams can get worse from one year to the next without an appreciable roster change.  Players get hurt, don't live up to their prior performances, etc.  Just ask the 2017 New York Giants.  We have a thread in NFL General asking which playoff contending team will collapse this year.  Because playoff contending teams collapse every year. 

It does, but not in the way you think.  But it shows the continuation of a trend: The Browns possibly as a response to the management of Sashi Brown, have become a team incapable of getting appropriate value in trades.  

Ehhhhh, decent value given what they gave up for him, but I wouldn't call him a huge steal.  It fills a need, giving the Bills arguably their top receiver and a vertical threat the Bills were sorely lacking given the quarterback they just drafted.  However, Coleman gives the Bills yet another receiver with questionable hands (how is it possible the all-time leader in college receptions has such bad hands?  How does that even happen?), this time with questionable health to boot.  It's possible the addition of Coleman bumps Buffalo out of the top spot in terms of worst receiver corps, but they're still at best bottom five. 

Notice I said could. But he has to live up to potential and actually stay healthy. If that happens he would be a huge steal. I mean we gave up a 2020 7th round pick for a 1st round talent WR who has multiple years left on his rookie contract. That's a great risk to take and it may pay huge dividends and if not we barely lose anything.

26 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Well Watkins’ best season was 2015...Taylor’s first with Buffalo. 

Hogan went to play with the GOAT. 

Goodwin and Woods went to play with better quarterbacks in systems that were ran by two of the best offensive minds in football. 

So of the four, the most talented had his best year in Buffalo and the other three either went to play with A) an amazing QB with a good offensive mind, or B) a good QB in an amazing offensive system. Not really saying much there.

Not to mention its painfully obvious that the Bills offense is to run, run, run, run, run, pass, run, run, pass, run, run, run.

Tyrod Taylor ranked 25th in the NFL in passing attempts per game, he has never really got a shot at putting up big passing numbers considering he only throws 27 passes a game by the design of their offense despite the fact that he has a higher comp% than Mariota, Wilson, Goff and Manning and a higher QBR than Carr and Prescott.

Not saying that I see Tyrod being some elite level passer as a Brown, but I do think getting out of that system in Buffalo and with a better pass catchers in Cleveland will make him a step better than what he did in years past.

31 minutes ago, Crickett said:

Name one current team with a worse starting quarterback in the NFL than the Bills. 

Of course he did.  He's a risk averse quarterback and you have (had prior to this trade) the worst receiver corps in the NFL too.  If he didn't trust Zay Jones, I would assume it was because he somehow went from being someone who was the all time college leader in receptions to someone who couldn't catch a cold if you left him in Antarctica for two weeks and Kelvin Benjamin, well when is Kelvin Benjamin truly open? 

Make no mistake, I may think Tyrod Taylor is a terrible quarterback and a poor man's version of Alex Smith, but Bills fans saw why he was as risk averse as he was when they tried to put his backup Nathan Peterception (who is somehow in the running to start for the Bills) in the game.  Tyrod Taylor may be bottom five, maybe even bottom three, but the Bills are the absolute worst and there is no close second. 

Everyone thinks Peterman is going to be the starter needs to stop with the hopes. It is Aj's job to lose to Allen. 

As for the worst qb situation I wouldn't say anyone is worse as it is a new season but a ton of unknown teams that I would have to go with Browns, Jets, Bills are in there no question about it, Dolphins we know what Tannehill is and isnt and Brock Osweiler isnt some stud either, indy (who knows if luck is set to go or not until week 1), KC Mahomes has looked god awful at camp so far and has no real game experience, Dallas everyone has high hopes on Dak but he hasn't proven to be a franchise qb, Arizona and Denver both have new QBs who had decent seasons but what happens with new QBs on a team can change drastically just look at foles when he went to Rams, or both Bradford and keenums past. All in all it hasn't even been preseason week 1 for these teams and to say a team has the worst QB situation is pure speculation and opinionated. After they traded watkins everyone called the season over and to be lucky to win 4 games. If the defense didnt come up strong, shady didnt dominate like he does, or the kick Hausch didn't make some ridiculous fg the bills would have had 4 wins. I think Aj has the potential to be a better passer then tyrod but doesnt have the running ability. You cant judge these guys in practice wait until they play teams to then say that team has the worst qb situation in the league. Zay had no chance to catch 50% of those balls last year thats why he didnt throw to him because when he did it was no where near the dude. His accuracy ranges from hitting the floor 3 yards in front of the receiver or 15 yards above his hands. 

Archived