Corey Coleman traded to the bills

brooks1957

14 minutes ago, brooks1957 said:

Football wise this makes no sense. However -

I firmly believe this to be a proactive trade.

• Corey has missed 13 of 32 games due to injuries

Due to broken bones, not chronic injuries.  The injuries aren’t things that tend to be nagging or chronic.

• Has a history of the dropsies, including the infamous one that sealed the 0-16 season.

He’s also produced more than half the guys still on the roster.

• Was sent home for breaking curfew with Kenny "be better than me" Britt - aka don't get caught.

If we’re penalizing things that happened in the past, there are quite a few guys who need to watch their backs.

• Was a person of interest in a downtown apartment beating a couple of years ago.

“A person of interest” could also be described as someone not indicted or found guilty of anything.

• Had a reputation of being lazy and unmotivated. (Could be the recent surge in desire was a sad attempt to save his *** when the writing was on the wall - aka where was that effort previously???

I don’t remember hearing this until now.  Any links?  It feels like folks are writing the narrative after the fact.

• Was selected at #15 by Sashi Brown (who, by this pick, passed on All Pro Michael Thomas in New Orleans).

So are we gonna cut everyone who was drafted by a previous regime who’s been outplayed by someone else in the league drafted lower than them?  Ooof, that’s gonna get ugly.

Dorsey ain't playing. He doesn't need to be forced to clean up the mess of a player he did not draft.

Again, what mess?

So what if it is a seventh rounder in 2020? Addition by subtraction. Even if CC pans out in Buffalo.

Even if a player ends up being good, it’s ok?  What was your stance on Sashi passing on Wentz then?

And this transaction is difficult to even call a “trade” as the compensation is next to nothing.

If you’re fine with this trade, you’d essentially be fine with him being cut right now.

Again, I’m not saying he had to make the team or he’s a stud or anything like that, simply that he wasn’t even given a full camp to prove himself to the new coaches and the “value” we got could have been netted a couple weeks from now (or more should someone get injured?) after a more thorough evaluation. 

21 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

And this transaction is difficult to even call a “trade” as the compensation is next to nothing.

If you’re fine with this trade, you’d essentially be fine with him being cut right now.

Again, I’m not saying he had to make the team or he’s a stud or anything like that, simply that he wasn’t even given a full camp to prove himself to the new coaches and the “value” we got could have been netted a couple weeks from now (or more should someone get injured?) after a more thorough evaluation. 

maybe he did all the proving to the coaching staff that he needed to?
Haley was yelling at him pretty bad for being lazy on his route after some DPI happened- and told him to still go make the *insert expletive* play

Just now, mistakey said:

maybe he did all the proving to the coaching staff that he needed to?
Haley was yelling at him pretty bad for being lazy on his route after some DPI happened- and told him to still go make the *insert expletive* play

And the next day he chose to skip a day off to get more work in and by all accounts had a great day of practice.

That doesn’t sound like lazy or unmotivated to me.

Our front office and coaches made a decision to move on from Corey. I would be shocked if it was anything less than a unanimous decision. It was their decision, not mine - and I will respect that because they were the ones who were working with Corey up close and personal on a daily basis. I trust their judgement when projecting Corey's long term value.

I cannot deny that Corey had some moments here in Cleveland. That would have been enough for me - from a football standpoint only - not to give up on Corey so quickly. But I also have friends who have acquaintances that are close to those in Berea. That doesn't mean this is rock solid info or that I am a genius, but word on the street is that Corey loved the nightlife too much - did not know when to turn it off. Again, I will defer to the opinion of those working with him on a daily basis.

As far as all the other stuff, I think it is dangerous to have an iron clad "across the board" standard when dealing with players and their issues. You should have a guideline to follow, but know there is room to adjust on a case by case basis.

And finally, passing on Wentz was the dumbest move move this franchise made in a long time.

10 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

And the next day he chose to skip a day off to get more work in and by all accounts had a great day of practice.

That doesn’t sound like lazy or unmotivated to me.

Sounds like a guy who might of been scared to lose his position because he was already getting out played by the guys below him. 

Just now, buno67 said:

Sounds like a guy who might of been scared to lose his position because he was already getting out played by the guys below him. 

Maybe.

Of course his position was as a starter, not a fringe roster guy.  Or so it seemed at the time.

Gordon and Landry are clearly better, without question.

Calloway seems to be impressing.

Higgins, while having a good camp, has never been as good as Coleman.

The rest are JAGs who don’t have the talent Coleman does.

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Maybe.

Of course his position was as a starter, not a fringe roster guy.  Or so it seemed at the time.

higgins had more yards, same tds, in less games started than coleman did last year.  the catch percentage was 10% higher.

coleman was pretty bad.

2 minutes ago, big poppa pump said:

It's sad that I really have no feelings one way or the other about giving up on yet another first rounder that hasn't lived up to their draft position.  We got nothing for nothing  Thanks Sashi!!!!

"waits for letsgo to defend his boy"

I have to defend every pick? Are they all expected to work out?

I’ll just say I’ve seen GM’s rid a team of a previous regime’s guys and be wrong a time or two before, Sashi included.

This just seems like a “sell low” move, and by sell I mean give away for nothing.

1 minute ago, mistakey said:

higgins had more yards, same tds, in less games started than coleman did last year.  the catch percentage was 10% higher.

coleman was pretty bad.

So was the offense and quarterbacking.

Id have just preferred a lengthier evaluation for a kid with superior physical talent.

And those stats are somewhat misleading.  Coleman may have started more games, but Higgins played in 6 more. That’s a significant number at a position where “starting” doesn’t necessarily mean playing more.

Higgins played 50% MORE snaps than Coleman last season.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/cle/2017-snap-counts.htm

4 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I have to defend every pick? Are they all expected to work out?

I’ll just say I’ve seen GM’s rid a team of a previous regime’s guys and be wrong a time or two before, Sashi included.

This just seems like a “sell low” move, and by sell I mean give away for nothing.

Just yanking your chain a bit...i think there has to be more to this than he just flat out sucks..he has to have some character issues as well..and the juice must not be worth the squeeze.

1 minute ago, big poppa pump said:

Just yanking your chain a bit...i think there has to be more to this than he just flat out sucks..he has to have some character issues as well..and the juice must not be worth the squeeze.

I get that, and I’m fully willing to change my position if/when reports come out, but thus far we haven’t really heard that.

But, if character is such a concern, bringing in guys like Calloway and Harrison seems like a contradictory move.

20 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Maybe.

Maybe it was an emotional knee jerk reaction to jettison Corey. But right now - today - on this Cleveland Browns team in 2018, Coleman was no better the 4th option at WR. Especially when one of the guys ahead of you on the depth chart is forging a strong relationship with the #1 overall pick.

Many people get let go in all kinds of industries across this country on a daily basis where there are many strong reasons to retain that individual, but it really comes down to the opinion of only one - your boss. In this case, that is John Dorsey's.

5 minutes ago, brooks1957 said:

Maybe it was an emotional knee jerk reaction to jettison Corey. But right now - today - on this Cleveland Browns team in 2018, Coleman was no better the 4th option at WR. Especially when one of the guys ahead of you on the depth chart is forging a strong relationship with the #1 overall pick.

For sure, he definitely wasn’t looking like a top 2-3 guy, but you keep and play 5-6 guys. I just wonder why he was getting starting reps if there are that many guys who are clearly better right now?

5 minutes ago, brooks1957 said:

Many people get let go in all kinds of industries across this country on a daily basis where there are many strong reasons to retain that individual, but it really comes down to the opinion of only one - your boss. In this case, that is John Dorsey's.

Not arguing that point, just whether it was a good decision or not. Many bosses make bad decisions too.

Archived