Corey Coleman traded to the bills

brooks1957

26 minutes ago, DawgX said:

LOL. What a pathetic return. Coleman must have been a cancer in the locker room for this trade to make any sense whatsoever. Otherwise you can't tell me that this isn't a bad trade on our end.

I will debate you that this was a good trade on our end.

Our front office and coaches made a decision to move on from Corey. I would be shocked if it was anything less than a unanimous decision. It was their decision, not mine - and I will respect that because they were the ones who were working with Corey up close and personal on a daily basis. I trust their judgement when projecting Corey's long term value.

The above was from an earlier reply I had in this thread. I am confident they (management) knew if Corey's perceived "lazy work ethic and Locker room cancer" reputation had more truth than fiction to it, or if it was just outside noise from their daily interaction with him. I think it was clear they decided the reputation was earned.

At that point' if you are a GM worth your salt, you remove the problem and allow the rest of the team to flourish. Better to take that course of action than to do nothing until it poisons the entire team and they all go down.

50 minutes ago, DawgX said:

LOL. What a pathetic return. Coleman must have been a cancer in the locker room for this trade to make any sense whatsoever. Otherwise you can't tell me that this isn't a bad trade on our end.

That seems to be the vibe though after reading all of the beat writers. That Landry didnt like his workout/eating/lazy habits, I read a tweet that says Hue has been butting heads with Coleman ever since last year and wasnt his biggest fan, then coaches put him on notice before camp that it was make or break. Couple all of that with the fact that he was caught after curfew with Britt and has some legal problems in the past---it just seems like the new regime didnt want to climb that mountain with him and would rather give Callaway/Higgins a shot.

Also, the part that I was forgetting is that I bet they also figured in Duke Johnson into this decision as well. It could be a way for them to get him on the field more working out of the slot and not just buried down the depth chart as a 3rd down option only. So Im willing to bet the ability to get Duke more snaps on the field + the emergence of Higgins/Callaway as WR3 and WR4 led them to a rather easy decision in terms of how they could replace Colemans production.

This is a bad move. Just by value based thinking, we should've kept him through a couple pre-season games, play him at times to make him look good, and get a real asset for him. This is dumping somebody who still had value for the sake of dumping them.

6 minutes ago, freakygeniuskid said:

This is a bad move. Just by value based thinking, we should've kept him through a couple pre-season games, play him at times to make him look good, and get a real asset for him. This is dumping somebody who still had value for the sake of dumping them.

I agree if it was only about business. Based on the timing and value in return--this was more about whatever was happening behind the scenes that we cant see and they wanted him gone sooner rather than later.

Another thing I heard is that he wasnt very bright and didnt study. Apparently he had all sorts of issues understanding the play calling and lining up in the right spots. Jarvis Landry on more than one occasion in practice was yelling at him to be in certain positions and instructing him where to be. That shouldnt have to happen

Just now, AkronsWitness said:

I agree if it was only about business. Based on the timing and value in return--this was more about whatever was happening behind the scenes that we cant see and they wanted him gone sooner rather than later.

Possible. But until we find out for sure, it seems to fit Dorsey's pattern of dumping (or dumping on) any players acquired by the previous regime.

Just now, freakygeniuskid said:

Possible. But until we find out for sure, it seems to fit Dorsey's pattern of dumping (or dumping on) any players acquired by the previous regime.

I mean yeah, but thats true with any new regime. They all cut bait with whoever they dont like when they come in. At least it looks like Dorsey and staff gave Coleman OTAs, the offseason and TC to show him something considering there have been trade rumors with him dating all the way back to February.

Plus, its not like any draft picks the Browns have cut bait with in the past 5 years have gone on to be ultra successful elsewhere. Manziel is throwing INTs in Canada, Mingo Im pretty sure is not even on a roster, Gilbert is not in the NFL, Richardson is out of the NFL, Erving is still a bad rotational player who will be cut by the Cheifs and Shelton is still just another early down rotational player.

I dont get the feeling after reports about Coleman off the field came out and his laziness/Football IQ that he is all of a sudden going to look great on a team with an even worse QB situation 

12 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

I mean yeah, but thats true with any new regime. They all cut bait with whoever they dont like when they come in. At least it looks like Dorsey and staff gave Coleman OTAs, the offseason and TC to show him something considering there have been trade rumors with him dating all the way back to February.

Plus, its not like any draft picks the Browns have cut bait with in the past 5 years have gone on to be ultra successful elsewhere. Manziel is throwing INTs in Canada, Mingo Im pretty sure is not even on a roster, Gilbert is not in the NFL, Richardson is out of the NFL, Erving is still a bad rotational player who will be cut by the Cheifs and Shelton is still just another early down rotational player.

I dont get the feeling after reports about Coleman off the field came out and his laziness/Football IQ that he is all of a sudden going to look great on a team with an even worse QB situation 

Bold - Then they weren't watching because he's been good on the field throughout camp.

Italics - He won't, that's not the point. The point is what he could do here and what his value might've been after a couple good pre-season games (because his value CLEARLY couldn't go any lower than what they gave him up for). 

I'll wait to hear proof of off-field/character stuff. Because other than the thing about Landry helping him change his diet (which was framed as a positive at the time), none of these "football character" rumors came out until post-trade. Which makes it seem like post-fact justifying. It's possible there is character stuff we don't know about that justifies this to a degree, but I'm not willing to just assume that it exists without proof. I don't think Dorsey has earned that yet.

Also, this makes me even more pissed than I was originally at what we did in the 2nd round this year. We spent the 33/35 picks on a 3rd string RB and a Guard. I was screaming at the time that those picks should've been Sutton or Miller and Harold Landry, and I'm dying right now that we didn't do that. We could've taken a Guard at the Chad Thomas pick and an RB in the 4th/5th or just stick with Dayes as the third string.

Like, the dude was disappointing for a first round pick. But it's basically guaranteed that we won't get better than him with that pick.

In 2 games with a healthy Josh McCown, Coleman caught 8 balls for 142 yards and 3 TDs. The only time he ever got competent QB play he averaged 71 yards and 1.5 TDs per game. TDs are fluky, so let's extrapolate just the yardage. 71x16 = 1,136. That's a fantastic WR. I don't know if he would've turned into that, but absent MASSIVE off-field issues, finding out is worth WAY more than a 7th round pick.

I mean, our last GM got a 4th for a punter and a 6th for Justin Gilbert after it was clear he had no place in the NFL. You can't get more than LITERALLY THE WORST DRAFT ASSET A TEAM CAN TRADE (a FUTURE, CONDITIONAL, 7TH round pick) for a first round WR who has looked okay when he's healthy, and downright solid when healthy and playing with good QBs (McCown in 2016, Tyrod in camp this year)?

The only way this is justified is if we find out he was trying to get Gordon to do blow or whispering in Callaway's ear at night to go steal something.

It pays to get the right guys on the bus and the wrong guys off the bus. 

It sets a standard for the culture 

If his attitude wasn’t Progressing to adding value to our team plus getting outplayed then I can understand 

I would’ve hoped for me, but it is what it is. I think those hamstrings were really starting to piss Hue off 

Archived