4 Fantasy Football Questions: Please Help

Hello 49er Fans,

I am going forum to forum to ask 3 questions and also looking for any information/insight you have to offer about your beloved team and will have each thread linked in the fantasy football forum as a way for everyone to help everyone(ET already cleared me doing this)

1. Jimmy Garappolo is being touted as the next big thing in the NFL putting together a string of very good performances to end the 2017 season but how high is too high of an expectation?  

2. Jerick McKinnon is the new guy in town and has yet to be given the full reigns yet at starting RB and Matt Breida isn't exactly going to steal much from him based on talent. McKinnon should see plenty of receptions but is 1300 total yards and 8 TDs too much to expect for the 26 year old tailback?

3. Pierre Garcon never got to experience the starting QB that is Jimmy-G but Marquise Goodwin certainly built quite a rapport. Now that both are healthy and had a full offseason with their star QB, which is the more valuable WR to own? What kind of numbers do you expect from both?

4. Who are the over/underrated fantasy players you would like to call out and what do you expect of them statistically?

The only point i am pretty sure of an answer of is nr. 3. I feel Goodwin will have a better season than Garcon will stats wise. Main thing is that for Garcon we have Pettis and Bourne who fill pretty much that same role and are good young guys so while Garcon can still produce he will be rotated more than Goodwin who really doesn't have a straight up replacement. 

For the first point i think Jimmy G is a great QB and from what we saw last year and what is coming out of TC he can have a really good season. Especially when you couple that with Shanahan and the fit of Garappolo in his O.

McKinnon is on paper the ideal fit for this offense as a outside zone runner and receiver out of the backfield. I do however think that a lot of the inside runs will go to Breida who is better than you give him credit for. 

4. I think George Kittle can have a sneaky good year and jump to one of the better TE's in the league statistically if he can stay healthier than last year. 

15 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

1. Jimmy Garappolo is being touted as the next big thing in the NFL putting together a string of very good performances to end the 2017 season but how high is too high of an expectation

I think he'll have a fine season, but I don't think that I'll end up with him on any teams. The hype machine is too real, resulting in him being drafted too early. The quarterback seems a bit deep with reliable guys later in the draft. I don't think he'll have a good enough season fantasy wise over other quarterbacks such as Cousins, Stafford, etc. I think he'll go right after that first tier of premium quarterbacks, and I don't think that there's enough of a difference to warrant that between the guys who will go much later. But I'm also an ardent proponent of waiting on quarterbacks unless it's a 2 QB league. 

2. Jerick McKinnon is the new guy in town and has yet to be given the full reigns yet at starting RB and Matt Breida isn't exactly going to steal much from him based on talent. McKinnon should see plenty of receptions but is 1300 total yards and 8 TDs too much to expect for the 26 year old tailback?

You know how I feel about McKinnon a bit, as I posted in teh other forum. 1300 total yards is kind of my baseline, but I kind of expect a little better. 8 touchdowns seems a bit aggressive for me. He's a bigger boon in PPR leagues, no doubt, as I think he could straddle a high RB2 line. I think 500-600 receiving yards should be a lock as I expect 60-70 receptions fairly easily (After all, Hyde caught 60 passes last year). I don't thikn that McKinnon gets the carry share that Hyde got last year, so I feel like something around 800-900 yards on the ground is reasonable as Breida should get a chunk of carries. 1400 total yards, probably something more in line with 5 touchdowns than 8 though. I wouldn't be super shocked by 8 touchdowns, but I'm not banking on it. 

3. Pierre Garcon never got to experience the starting QB that is Jimmy-G but Marquise Goodwin certainly built quite a rapport. Now that both are healthy and had a full offseason with their star QB, which is the more valuable WR to own? What kind of numbers do you expect from both?

Garcon is the bigger name, and may even get drafted earlier than Goodwin, but there's no doubt that Goodwin is the guy to own here. He's going to be criminally under drafted in leagues of average fans (I would expect him to be taken more seriously in legitimately knowledgeable leagues). Goodwin's health is going to be the biggest roadblock to a nice season, but if he stays healthy, it's going to be a really nice season. YOu know that I've already advocated taking him over TY Hilton whom is going to go several rounds earlier (similar fantasy skill sets; Hilton has the higher ceiling with Luck, but I can't trust that and their floor is pretty comparable...In the end, I'm actually expecting similar seasons statistically between the two). 

4. Who are the over/underrated fantasy players you would like to call out and what do you expect of them statistically?

Goodwin is probably the biggest target in terms of creating max value out of a pick. McKinnon is getting hyped up by the likes of Matthew Berry and other fantasy "experts", so I doubt that he gets out of round 3 for most leagues. While I think that is fine value wise, I don't think you're getting incredible value there either. I think with Jimmy G you can get better value by getting another quarterback much later in the draft. If Jimmy G is going in round 5, I'd much rather have Matthew Stafford or Kirk Cousins in round 9, I think. 

Kittle is an interesting guy, but I'd be a little hesitant on him. If you're getting him in the back of the draft, there can certainly be some value there as I think that he can be a bona fide low end TE1. The problem with those type of guys, however, is that they vary wildly week to week and they are all kind of the same. Tight end is a position where if you're not getting the premiere guys, just wait until the back end of the draft. Kittle does have an upside for a sneaky season like Ertz did last year, but he gets banged up a lot and the 49ers will certainly spread the ball around. So with Kittle, there is potential for some major upside with regards to where he gets picked, but I know a lot of people are bullish on him as well, which may result in him going higher than I'd feel comfortable taking him. 

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, NinerNation21 said:

Speaking of fantasy football, are we doing a league this year? Did I miss something about it?

I know we did the Pick'em Games last year. I don't remember a fantasy league. I'm game, if you want to.

12 hours ago, Forge said:

I don't believe that we have done a Niners forum fantasy league in a couple of years. Not sure that we would have the interest participation to be honest. 

Wow, I knew I stepped away from this forum for a while, but I didn't realize it was THAT long. I'm really out of touch :$

Archived