Jump to content
Deadpulse

GDT - Preseaon Week 1 - Patriots host DC

Preseason Week 1  

10 members have voted

  1. 1. What new addition are you most excited to see in action?

    • Eric Decker
      1
    • Corderelle Patterson
      4
    • Adrian Clayborn
      0
    • Jason McCourty
      0
    • Danny Shelton
      0
    • Braxton Berrios
      2
    • Ja'Whaun Bentley
      1
    • Danny Ettling
      0
    • Trent Brown
      0
    • Isiah Wynn
      2
    • Duke Dawson
      0
    • Jeremy Hill
      0


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, DoleINGout said:

Well Mookie hit the cycle tonight.

But they lost - they're only on pace to win 113 games now! What a terrible, terrible team they are!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, AlNFL19 said:

But they lost - they're only on pace to win 113 games now! What a terrible, terrible team they are!

hey, positives

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Boston.com

INDIVIDUALS MAKING STATEMENTS

Among those seizing the opportunity to prove themselves on the season’s first night against another team were Derek Rivers and Julian Edelman, both of whom are coming off ACL reconstructions. Rivers was a presence as a pass rusher, while Edelman got his legs underneath him without being targeted with a pass.

Also of note: rookie Riley McCarron got the first opportunities as a returner, fielding both kickoffs and punts, the latter role up for grabs after Danny Amendola went to Miami and Edelman was suspended for the first four regular-season games; Cordarelle Patterson had a couple of nice catches, after what has reportedly been a strong camp, but he wasn’t on the field until the late stages of the second quarter; Eric Decker got his feet wet, too, but Devin Lucien (four catches, 71 yards) outshined both Patterson and Decker; rookie tight end Ryan Izzo had three catches for 15 yards, but his biggest highlight might’ve been the block that sealed Webb’s first touchdown run; punter Ryan Allen, who has competition in camp, had an impressive night with an average of 50.7 yards per boot; rookie Ja’Whaun Bentley had a solid night at linebacker, ranking second on the team with six tackles, including two for loss, and he also hit the quarterback once.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you ask me, Bentley had the best night. Say what you want about Lucien's stats, but some of those catches and yards came off of poor coverage. Patterson had a bad showing IMO. He had some juggling catches that were hard to bring down but he was barely targeted and didnt get run until the end of the game with roster bubble players around him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Deadpulse said:

Patterson had a bad showing IMO. He had some juggling catches that were hard to bring down but he was barely targeted and didnt get run until the end of the game with roster bubble players around him. 

I disagree about Patterson. I think they held him out because he is going to be counted on and is still in a learning stage with the playbook a la Jason McCourty/Eric Decker (last night). Pretty sure Patterson will be used at gunner and kickoff return a bit in the regular season and they chose not to feature him at either spot in preseason game one for example. Despite this, Patterson made contested catches on plays where the pass was sort of a desperation throw and I thought he came down with it as readonably well as you could expect given those circumstances. I'll agree to disagree for now.

 

Lucian looked solid but I agree there was some defensive liability accouting for those wide open looks. I still came away with a positive impression of Lucian as opposed to Philip Dorsett, Chris Hogan and Riley McCarron.

 

Bentley was my vote in the poll for player I wanted to see and I'm happy that he didn't disappoint. Very encouraging sign that he is essentially taking a leadership role in the second unit and mixing in with the starters a bit.

Edited by DoleINGout

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DoleINGout said:

I disagree about Patterson. I think they held him out because he is going to be counted on and is still in a learning stage with the playbook a la Jason McCourty/Eric Decker (last night).

Those guys didnt play because they are both older, proven, veterans. Patterson is still trying to make the roster IMO. 

1 hour ago, DoleINGout said:

Despite this, Patterson made contested catches on plays where the pass was sort of a desperation throw and I thought he came down with it as readonably well as you could expect given those circumstances.

This is undeniable, despite the fact that one of his two total catches was a ball he wasnt the target of. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

This is undeniable, despite the fact that one of his two total catches was a ball he wasnt the target of. 

Right, but I thought aside from route running - the actual ability of securing the reception was an issue for Patterson at one point. It seems like Patterson has been providing a little more reliability and since joining the Patriots he is correcting the issues that really held him back. I'm not saying we've got a reliable starter, yet, but I'm feeling encouraged - not discouraged.

 

10 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

Those guys didnt play because they are both older, proven, veterans. Patterson is still trying to make the roster IMO. 

I consider Patterson a veteran and proven as a special teams guy as well. Playing receiver he got a little more run than Decker but he has been with the team a few months longer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

I consider Patterson a veteran and proven as a special teams guy as well. Playing receiver he got a little more run than Decker but he has been with the team a few months longer.

Which is why we didnt see him play special teams. He is not a veteran or proven WR. 

 

I feel neither discouraged nor encouraged by his night. However I do feel like he wasted an opportunity. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/7/2018 at 9:31 PM, DoleINGout said:

Underrated choice for the role: Keionta Davis

 

Realistically: JC Jackson or the punter Corey Bojzecekveerdürst

@reamer I gotta say, Jacob Hollister is a camp binky too this year. Ah what the heck, everyone is a camp binky this time of year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

@reamer I gotta say, Jacob Hollister is a camp binky too this year. Ah what the heck, everyone is a camp binky this time of year.

 

I'm always giddy about UDFA players. I can't help myself. Davis in particular -- I kept googling him last year, hoping he would sign once he healed from the disc injury. I knew he had a connection to the coaching staff, and I was very pleased to see him spend the year with the team rehabbing, and then taking snaps on the field last night. He got some solid pressure on a few snaps, although they seem to like rushing him from the interior. I'm following his career closely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bentley looks really good againstthe run. I like what Deatrich Wise showed. 

I think the young DBs had a lot of learning, it’ll be interesting to see who carves out a role and makes the bottom of the depth chart. 

None of the receivers did anything special, IMO. 

Hill obviously showed out well. 

The offensive line, I like what I saw for the most part. 

EDIT: Also, I know he didn’t play, but Gronk looks noticeably thinner. 

Edited by Yin-Yang

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

EDIT: Also, I know he didn’t play, but Gronk looks noticeably thinner. 

My mom has been saying this about Gronk and a few other players too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

None of the receivers did anything special, IMO. 

(Full discourse: I agree)

 

You mean didn't see the way Berrios ran his flat route closer to the line of scrimmage on his lone reception in the fourh quarter to make it an easier target for Etling in case a DB was there to poach? Or Patterson making a great adjustment on one of a couple of awkward situations?

 

(I agree, nothing special; just positives though. At least they weren't outright drops on well placed passes like Hogan, McCarron and Dorsett had five times in total.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

I think the young DBs had a lot of learning, it’ll be interesting to see who carves out a role and makes the bottom of the depth chart. 

Dawson showed some promise to be used like a swiss army knife a la Pat Chung I thought. Crossen strikes me as a pretty quick study. JC Jackson looks like he has potential but needs to most improvement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×