Football is back; Preseason Week One GDT

Kiwibrown

Preseason  

26 members have voted

1. 1. does Baker beat out Tyrod.

2. 2. Horny

2 minutes ago, ohiogenius said:

Bitonio hopefully keeps up his good play at LT (according to reports he shut down Myles in practice)

RG is set with Zietler

Hopefully Corbert takes the LG spot.

Ive never been a fan of Tretter. I was glad he made it through healthy last season but I just think he needs to improve his strength. I can see the QBs not being able to step up when he goes up against the big boy DT/NT 

Tyrod's running ability is going to be critical this season b/c of our OL impact/quality uncertainty...

We need him to slide effectively and safely and reduce the number of times he takes major hits...

56 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

Tyrod's running ability is going to be critical this season b/c of our OL impact/quality uncertainty...

We need him to slide effectively and safely and reduce the number of times he takes major hits...

which he will, he wants to play in the league for another 4-5 years imo. 

A few things from the game:

QB - Tyrod is smart, accurate and a leader. Barring injury he should start throughout the season. Mayfield showing he was worthy of #1 overall. He is a student of the game. He shows the same smarts, leadership and accuracy as Tyrod. Mayfield did a great job scanning the field and checking down to other options. His footwork is impressive. I'm excited.

OL - Bitonio is a solid LT. Corbett has some work to do in the run game. Solid in pass pro. Reiter is = or > than Tretter at C. Robinson is better than Coleman. I think Coleman gets cut. Drango struggled at G.

RB - Chubb was hit immediately on all but a couple runs. He'll get better as the OL does. 

WR - Callaway is going to improve drastically as the season goes on as he gets experience. Cajuste may beat out devalve at TE. Good receiver and willing blocker. Landry is as advertised. Higgins running good routes and looking like he'll see the field quite a bit. Njoku made Ogletree look like a child on that first TD.

DT - Brantley struggles against the run. This will limit his playing time. Ogunjobi is stout and a monster off the snap. All day starter. Meder looks stronger and will be a 2 down nose. He works hard and is having a good camp. We are very thin at DT.

DE - Orchard and Nassib both look pedestrian. I think Nassib sticks around another year. Ogbah and Garrett looked like they were still getting their feet wet. By preseason game 3 they should be in midseason form. 

LB - Could be the best in the NFL. Kendricks needs to be utilized on run and pass blitz the majority of the time. He's athletic but still can struggle in coverage. 

CB/S - Ward looks as advertised. Still needs to get used to covering a full route tree and the speed of the NFL but he is a solid #1 option. Didn't hear Mitchell's name at all. That's a good thing. Now slot is where the competition is.. is it Carrie or Gaines? Gaines is a tough competitor and Carrie is more athletic and better in man coverage. Carrie was in the spotlight a bit and held his own. Randall didn't flash at all and had to chase Barkley down the sideline. He was average and I think is going to struggle a bit this season. Kindred and Peppers at SS is solid. Peppers flowed to the ball and recognized plays quickly. He's going to look so much better this year.

Overall the offense executed well in most pass plays. The OL struggled to execute and get movement at the POA which caused the run game to struggle. Look for that to improve in the next two weeks. 

The Defense flowed to the ball very quickly and the front 7 looked solid. Outside of the missed tackles on the first play they played the run well. We may struggle at times in runs between the tackles. Front 7 was very good in diagnosing plays and shutting down screens, swing passes, etc. It shows me we're getting better in the film room. 

Im encouraged by much of the same things that you guys are,  but there are a couple things I’m down about.

-Our run blocking is terrible

-Even accounting for the bad blocking Chubb was not playing very fast or physical.  He had some great moves on that checkdown from Baker, but other than that he looked slow and indecisive.

-I don’t really understand why BBC got phased out of CB/Nickel where he has been pretty darn good the last 2 seasons.  He has as much right to playing time as Mitchell, Carrie, and Gaines as far as I can tell.  Unless this is more of a concern about Randall playing back there.

I was most encouraged by the play of Njoku, Robinson at LT, Larry O, Baker, Higgins (who needs Dez?), Jarvis.

Im a huge fan of how we played Callaway for 4 quarters and also kept Njoku in longer than the rest of the starters too.

3 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

Njoku was reportedly dropping everything in camp so this game could either be a great confidence booster or a fluke.

He seems to have a history/issue with drops, so maybe this is just something we need to learn to accept.

TO dropped a lot of balls too, but more than made up for them.  Hopefully Njoku will do the same.

30 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

He seems to have a history/issue with drops, so maybe this is just something we need to learn to accept.

TO dropped a lot of balls too, but more than made up for them.  Hopefully Njoku will do the same.

Yeah probably so. The issue with it, and for TO was the trust on 3rd down and in the red zone which is when you want to depend on them most. Hopefully his clutch gene is stronger than his drop gene.

56 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

Who does he replace on the roster? ? We have some tough decision to make on defense.

We will be cuttin 2-3 decent dbs. 

I want to keep the goat, but I don’t think he makes it. 

Gaines may have to do more to make the team. 

7 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

Njoku was reportedly dropping everything in camp so this game could either be a great confidence booster or a fluke.

Yeah, it was a relief to see him having a good game after what we've been hearing out of TC. But like LETSGO said, him dropping passes might be part of who he is as a player. Fortunately, he has the talent to make some amazing plays to make up for the drops.

I'm disappointed in Coleman, though. I thought he was respectable at RT last season and had hopes that he could at least be a capable starter at LT. Unless Bitonio is really good this year at LT, or someone else on the roster steps up, then LT is looking like it could be our biggest need next offseason. That way Bitonio could move back to his more natural position of LG, and Corbett can move to center, where most scouts thought he was best suited for in the pros. That way he'll replace Tretter, who is merely average as a starter.

Overall, I think there were much more positives than negatives in the game. I mean, it doesn't mean a whole lot since it's the first week of preseason, but still. The run blocking is the biggest concern at this point, though. Dayes was probably the most impressive of all the running backs, so I hope he somehow makes the team even though I doubt we carry four running backs.

7 hours ago, Rod Johnson said:

Im encouraged by much of the same things that you guys are,  but there are a couple things I’m down about.

-Our run blocking is terrible

-Even accounting for the bad blocking Chubb was not playing very fast or physical.  He had some great moves on that checkdown from Baker, but other than that he looked slow and indecisive.

-I don’t really understand why BBC got phased out of CB/Nickel where he has been pretty darn good the last 2 seasons.  He has as much right to playing time as Mitchell, Carrie, and Gaines as far as I can tell.  Unless this is more of a concern about Randall playing back there.

I was most encouraged by the play of Njoku, Robinson at LT, Larry O, Baker, Higgins (who needs Dez?), Jarvis.

Im a huge fan of how we played Callaway for 4 quarters and also kept Njoku in longer than the rest of the starters too.

I agree with most of what you've said. I'm also slightly annoyed about what's going on with BBC. He's been one of the best NBs in the league. Maybe they think he can be an even better player at FS?

24 minutes ago, DawgX said:

I agree with most of what you've said. I'm also slightly annoyed about what's going on with BBC. He's been one of the best NBs in the league. Maybe they think he can be an even better player at FS?

I don’t care where he plays, but he needs to play.

I love that he’s versatile enough to play a few spots, and that should serve him well. He’s due for a new contract after this season, right?

Archived