Football is back; Preseason Week One GDT

Kiwibrown

Preseason  

26 members have voted

1. 1. does Baker beat out Tyrod.

2. 2. Horny

37 minutes ago, DawgX said:

Yeah, it was a relief to see him having a good game after what we've been hearing out of TC. But like LETSGO said, him dropping passes might be part of who he is as a player. Fortunately, he has the talent to make some amazing plays to make up for the drops.

I'm disappointed in Coleman, though. I thought he was respectable at RT last season and had hopes that he could at least be a capable starter at LT. Unless Bitonio is really good this year at LT, or someone else on the roster steps up, then LT is looking like it could be our biggest need next offseason. That way Bitonio could move back to his more natural position of LG, and Corbett can move to center, where most scouts thought he was best suited for in the pros. That way he'll replace Tretter, who is merely average as a starter.

Overall, I think there were much more positives than negatives in the game. I mean, it doesn't mean a whole lot since it's the first week of preseason, but still. The run blocking is the biggest concern at this point, though. Dayes was probably the most impressive of all the running backs, so I hope he somehow makes the team even though I doubt we carry four running backs.

Yeah I have to think if they decided to move a solid starter from another spot on the line that Bitonio is probably the best option that they see at LT on the roster.

Run blocking is dead. This is a passing league now and offensive lines are built to pass protect first. You pretty much have to fool teams to run the ball at this point. Set up the run with the pass. You could put a lot of resources in your line, or get lucky, and have a strong pass and run line but in the vast majority of cases teams are going to have the majority of their line specialized at pass blocking and do what they can in the run game. Pretty much the opposite of how lines were built prior to 1990.

I don't personally like it because I'm 94 and I like the way things used to be but it is what it is. If you can't run block throw 80% of the time if you have a QB who can complete 4 yard passes at a great efficiency to make up for a run game.

36 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I don’t care where he plays, but he needs to play.

I love that he’s versatile enough to play a few spots, and that should serve him well. He’s due for a new contract after this season, right?

It would be a good time to offer him a low ball contract. 3 years 18 million.

mayfield’s debut was truly sexy! The only thing that was great was the completion % but with everything else he was doing and the passes he was throwing. You can easily live with it because of the throw always and the drops. 

I love how aggressive he was playing and Haley was calling the plays. Haley didn’t give him just bunny plays like the Jets did for Darnold and Baker didn’t settle for the Check downs. I want to say the 3rd and 18 play where he threw for the first down to Higgins I believe, he had two easy open WRs about 6-8 yards short of the first down but he found the guy for the 1st down. 

Also another thing, I don’t think he had an issue seeing over the line one bit or that it caused him problems. I want to say there was one pass maybe, he was in the pocket, he took one more step back and then fired a completion. That’s the only time I think I saw a potential issue but it did nothing to him and he had no passes come close to being batted down 

2 hours ago, brownie man said:

Rosens shouldn't even count

their Oline looks absoultely terrible 

Context... context .... context...

... and their skill position players looked terrible as well..

I hope Bradford stays healthy so Rosen isn't sacrificed this year... b/c I want to see what he can become..

Archived