Hard Knocks Discussion

Mind Character

Does anybody else get the feeling the only thing standing in this teams way is not the players, but coaching. IDK why but I dont think Ive been less sold on a coaching group in my life than the one the Browns currently have outside of Haley, Henry and Saunders. The combonation of Hue Jackson and Gregg Williams running the show just makes me feel like even if the players do well, we will scheme ourselves out of games.

After last year with Gregggggs inexplicable defensive lapses and Hue just not knowing how to manage a game with decision making..........man....

Now we have Myles Garrett saying we are going to play ever MORE base defense leaving more LB matchups to get destroyed by WRs and RBs all the way down the field.

7 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

@AkronsWitness

1-31? Na our coaches are top top.

our talent level I think is a 10+ win team. The core has only been together a short period of time and the overall and the qb are new to each other, so that drops us 3-4 wins. Hue also probably drops us another win as well.

I feel like with a good group of coaches, not even the the best, but like a Bruce Arians type of coach--I would feel confident in 9-10 wins. With Hue Jackson managing the game and Gregg calling the schemes on defense I feel like it only has like a 7 win ceiling at best but most likely 5-6 wins.

I feel like our coaching alone will make us drop 3-4 games this season.

I like the optimism and we have added talent but I have a hard time thinking we should win 9 or more games. If we were truly an 0-16 team last year that is just too big of a turn around in one year. If coaching cost us some games last year and we had a new hotshot coach, again I could see that big of a turnaround but we have the same head coach and defensive coordinator.

Anything can happen though, stranger things have happened, well the Rams went from 4 wins to 13 in one season whether or not that would be stranger is up for debate but both would be 9 game turnarounds.

12 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

I like the optimism and we have added talent but I have a hard time thinking we should win 9 or more games. If we were truly an 0-16 team last year that is just too big of a turn around in one year. If coaching cost us some games last year and we had a new hotshot coach, again I could see that big of a turnaround but we have the same head coach and defensive coordinator.

Anything can happen though, stranger things have happened, well the Rams went from 4 wins to 13 in one season whether or not that would be stranger is up for debate but both would be 9 game turnarounds.

Im saying this team has 9-10 win potential with good coaching. We dont have good coaching so I think that will costs us some games and in reality finish around 6 wins. 

I believe if you give this team the Rams, Vikings, Patriots, Saints, Cardinals or Kansas City coaching staffs then they have that 9-10 win potential.

Good coaching makes average players look good by schemes and maximizes the talent and brings the best out of the good players. I feel like the Browns will only win games based on their raw talent alone with minimal help from coaching out-scheming opponents, good play calling, development, ect..

5 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Im saying this team has 9-10 win potential with good coaching. We dont have good coaching so I think that will costs us some games and in reality finish around 6 wins. 

I believe if you give this team the Rams, Vikings, Patriots, Saints, Cardinals or Kansas City coaching staffs then they have that 9-10 win potential.th

Good coaching makes average players look good by schemes and maximizes the talent of even the good players. I feel like the Browns will only win games based on their raw talent alone with minimal help from coaching with out scheming opponents, good playcalling, development, ect..

Spot on, imho.

Hueball and Williams seem to be of the opinion that they need the best players to win in their close-minded systems.

Duh. If it is going to take the best players at every position, you ain't much of a coach.

26 minutes ago, bruceb said:

Spot on, imho.

Hueball and Williams seem to be of the opinion that they need the best players to win in their close-minded systems.

Duh. If it is going to take the best players at every position, you ain't much of a coach.

Well the entire Browns starting roster is littered with 1st-3rd rounders and/or good FA signings. Thats why Im thinking they win 5 games based on talent alone.

There is talent everywhere and that alone will win them games despite bad coaching or gameplanning. 20 starters/rotational drafted in first 3 rounds.

Defense

1st rounders--- Randall, Peppers, Ward, Garrett

2nd rounders--- Ogbah, Collins, Kendricks 

3rd rounders--- Ogunjobi, Kirksey

Offense

1st rounders--- Mayfield, Zeitler, Njoku, Robinson

2nd rounders--- Bitonio, Landry, Gordon, Corbett, Chubb, Hyde

3rd rounders--- Duke 

4 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Does anybody else get the feeling the only thing standing in this teams way is not the players, but coaching. IDK why but I dont think Ive been less sold on a coaching group in my life than the one the Browns currently have outside of Haley, Henry and Saunders. The combonation of Hue Jackson and Gregg Williams running the show just makes me feel like even if the players do well, we will scheme ourselves out of games.

After last year with Gregggggs inexplicable defensive lapses and Hue just not knowing how to manage a game with decision making..........man....

Now we have Myles Garrett saying we are going to play ever MORE base defense leaving more LB matchups to get destroyed by WRs and RBs all the way down the field.

Not in the least, I think we have one of the best defensive minds in the league for a DC, even if I don't like him personally after bountygate.  He just didn't have the roster to work with last year, largely due to injuries, and inadequate players in the secondary.

We also have one of the best offensive minds in the game for an OC, who has been the man at the wheel behind some of the best sustained offenses for multiple years, for multiple teams.

I don't know much about the ST coordinator, but he can't be worse than what we had before.

Hue is the right guy to keep the peace and the locker room right, as seen today clearing up the skirmish between Williams and Haley.

Just kick back and enjoy the ride, this is going to be a very fun year.

I like our coaching staff for the most part outside of Amos and Hue Jackson. I wouldn’t mind keeping the coaching staff together for the most part and killing 2 birds with 1 stone by hiring Dave Toub as the HC/ST Coach. Harbough did it and Toub is well respected throughout the league. Has ties to Dorsey and Andy Reid protégés have been doing decent well the last few years. Both as HC and coordinators 

18 minutes ago, bosko1616 said:

I like our coaching staff for the most part outside of Amos and Hue Jackson. I wouldn’t mind keeping the coaching staff together for the most part and killing 2 birds with 1 stone by hiring Dave Toub as the HC/ST Coach. Harbough did it and Toub is well respected throughout the league. Has ties to Dorsey and Andy Reid protégés have been doing decent well the last few years. Both as HC and coordinators 

This Hue is fired wishful thinking boggles the mind.  The owner himself left zero wiggle room about that.  It will not be happening any time soon.

Archived