Hard Knocks Discussion

Mind Character

1 hour ago, Mind Character said:

LOL...of course... you missed everything...

That doesn't really answer the question that even you asked.. for all the various reasons I described...

Check out those football outsiders links if you ever want to seriously look into it...

For the record, the 2017 LA team was older than the 2016 team.. and the Browns were over 2 times younger on the 53 than both those Rams teams roster wide...

There are teams that compare to Browns historically.. not the 2017 Rams... you can compare throughout the years if you're serious...

How many of the teams that the Browns compare to historically went winless?

28 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

How many of the teams that the Browns compare to historically went winless?

I obviously know this is a dismissive..rhetorical question... but if we truly believed there's no real difference between a 0 and 2 win team... a made field goal here.. a call there... in that both teams are awful...

There were 4 Teams with 1-win seasons that compare... 2007 Dolphins... 2001 Panthers... 2009 Dolphins... 2000 Ryan Leaf Chargers...

There are other 2-wins and 3-win teams that compare...

Key predictor being total team/starter youth... AND 1st year/rookie QB...

3 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

Key predictor being total team/starter youth... AND 1st year/rookie QB...

that has mental problems or shouldn't be playing yet. 

the exception to that rue would be Kessler, who played some decent games in 2016. 

2 hours ago, ohiogenius said:

Sorry bad wording. I meant scheme that forces players to stay on the field longer because it keeps everything in front of you and  gives ups tons of yards until the redzone forcing the D to play more snaps.

And, you dont need to be aggressive, just dont play the DBs off 10 yards on 3 and 3-5 yards. And he had a safety 30 yards behind the line of scrimmage. He couldve afforded to play press cuz if a DB got beat well you have someone back there. I understand playing off if there was more aggression and safety blitzing/moving around. But that was never the case. 

Anyway you slice it, it was a bad defensive philosophy. 

But I will stand by this: Anyone who comes to Cleveland sports team and employs a strategy that predicates on the concept of 'dont break' should be fired immediately for mental incompetence.

It was the exactly style of defense that helped the Saints when a Super Bowl. Yeah it gives up yards but it also forces the offense to execute plays and put plays together. He defense last year could of been a lot better if they had a legit #1 corner. McCourty was good but he could handle being the #1 guy all year and it wore him down. I would like to see what his defense looks like now with the overhaul they made. If we have the same results this upcoming season, I’m putting full blame on him. The talent on this team has been greatly improved and hopefully the DL stays healthy for him. 

Also I don’t care of what happen in the past. Like Haley said, we can’t live in our fears. 

22 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Did he though?  I already addressed the additions, other than Haden, who were the losses year one to year two?  The record was worse, sure, but not the roster. We underperforming at an almost historically bad level.  I can’t remember where I found it, but there was a metric that measures expected W/L based on points scored vs points against iirc.  We had the worst win differential in history, tied with I believe a 6 win Chargers team back in the LT days. Our roster wasn’t designed to win, but the coaching was a failure from the start.

Stupid and idealistic how? 

We had literally no leadership or veterans with experience. All the snaps at QB and WR the last two seasons went to developing players that have no future in this league. We were the NFLs unemployement agency. How many young guys got a chance to develop that are going to be a part of this team? A small handful is all. We gave soooooooo many snaps to complete losers with no future when we could have had veterans offering leadership and who could help the team win.

QB starts: 0 career wins

RB starts: less than 10 career wins

WR starts: 2 career wins

OL: Basically the only area on the team with any experience

DB: A bunch of rookies and castoffs

DL and LB were the only positional groups that actually gave snaps to guys with futures in the NFL worth developing.

Sashi was stupid and idealistic, because what he wanted to do only works in practice. Hes a harvard nerd with no connecitons who got the job because hes incredible smart. Its up to him to execute his vision. And to do that takes compromise and teamwork. What he did to the Browns the last two years was what Mao Ze Dong did to China with the Great Leap forward. Take some baby steps, make an effort to get veterans in, and win 4-5 games instead of 1-2. Those last two teams were dreadfully untalented by BROWNS standards. We had something like 30+ 1st/2nd year players on the team. Thats 60% of the team with 1 or less career win to their name. Give me a break Sashi.

Sashi basically whipped it out and tried to stick it in before dinner on the first date when he should have wined and dined.

22 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

@roger murdock, what are your thought long term on guys like Peppers, Njoku, Garrett, Ogbah, etc?

I’m just curious as to how the “Sashi haters” are going to view his time here if guys like Njoku, Garrett, etc start making some pro bowls and all of a sudden Sashi’s draft resume doesn’t look so bad once given proper time and perspective.

Miles Garret was a no brainer pick and potential superstar.

I thought Njoku was a top 12 player in the draft last year and  dripping with upside. I think Peppers and Ogbah should be decent starters with potential for more.

I'm not a Sashi hater. I think he was smart and if he braced himself he'd still be here.

Bad leaders are idealistic. Good leaders and pragmatic.

Sashi took an idealistic approach to being a GM when he should have taken a pragmatic one, because I do think his strategy was valid and will work. Its his own fault someone else is cleaning up for him though.

10 minutes ago, roger murdock said:

QB starts: 0 career wins

Could have had RGIII, McCown or Osweiler had the HC wanted them I’m sure. All were under contract. Kessler could have started too, he had some experience as well.

RB starts: less than 10 career wins

Duke and Crow were both in their 3rd year.  How much experience do you need?  They knew the drill.  And when did wins become a measure of experience or worth at RB?

WR starts: 2 career wins

Kenny Britt (I know, I know) and Coates were vets.  Coleman a former first rounder.  Gordon’s like a 10 year vet.  Is this group any worse than the ones fielded during the Ray farmer years?

OL: Basically the only area on the team with tons of experience

Fify.

DB: A bunch of rookies and castoffs

Jamar Taylor and Jason McCourtey are both multiple year starters for multiple teams.  They weren’t great, but let’s not oversell the facts to make a point. BBC was one of the best nickels in the game. Peppers was a rookie, but a 1st rounder.  

DL and LB were the only positional groups that actually gave snaps to guys with futures in the NFL worth developing.

Now you’re underselling things.  We had 3 good to very good starters at LB.. Ogbah and Garrett look like bookends.  Ogunjobi and Brantley are promising.  Both groups were better last season than at any point since our return.

Sashi basically whipped it out and tried to stick it in before dinner on the first date when he should have wined and dined.

This explains my lack of success on dates.

7 minutes ago, roger murdock said:

Miles Garret was a no brainer pick and potential superstar.

We’ve passed on those plenty of timed before.

I thought Njoku was a top 12 player in the draft last year and  dripping with upside. I think Peppers and Ogbah should be decent starters with potential for more.

I'm not a Sashi hater. I think he was smart and if he braced himself he'd still be here.

You sound like a hater, just sayin.

Bad leaders are idealistic. Good leaders and pragmatic.

Sashi took an idealistic approach to being a GM when he should have taken a pragmatic one, because I do think his strategy was valid and will work. Its his own fault someone else is cleaning up for him though.

I think he was very pragmatic personally.  He knew we’d suck either way and decided that an effort to win a couple extra games and miss out on the premium picks for a couple years wasn’t worth it.  1 win vs 4-6 wins in the long term means nothing as far as fans go, but one or two spots in the draft can mean everything.

As far as needing a pragmatic approach, our idiot owner sided with our then desperate, and possibly idiotic, coach and canned our GM for not trading two top 65 picks to a division rival for a soon to be UFA QB who signed for less than good backup money on the open market a few months later. Does that sound pragmatic?  What’s the difference between that and doing the same thing with some other vets two months sooner?  

He then hires someone to essentially follow the same blueprint I’d imagine Sashi and Co would have followed by spending money and improving the roster (obviously some of the moves would differ) once a “franchise QB” was acquired and they were officially “on the clock” when it comes to the rookie QB contract window.

For the life of me I’ll never understand why some folks get so butthurt about not being 4-12 instead of 1-15.  Both suck, neither are the goal.  One gets the pick of the litter in April.

3 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Or as they say, F**CK the stingy M*TH**F**KERS who refuse to pay for premium services but want to watch them for free!

The language in this thread getting hot! Giving me the vapors. Lotta anger in folks on here. You be safe, LGB. Let me know if you need me to walk you to your car later. I brought my pepper spray.

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

For the life of me I’ll never understand why some folks get so butthurt about not being 4-12 instead of 1-15.  Both suck, neither are the goal.  One gets the pick of the litter in April.

I'm not butthurt. Sashi fan boys should be though. He took no steps to improving the team at all short term in 2 years. None. Everything he did was 3-5 years out in a league where you are never more than 2 years away from competing.

If Sashi played his cards right hes still here. You should be mad at him for that if you truly believed in him. The difference between 1-15 and 4-12 is basically nothing but it cost him his job because he went full retard.

I will always appreciate Sashi for saving us from ourselves on that terrible McCarran trade. I doubt we end up with Tyrod and Baker if that trade went through, and that would be tragic. Sashi sacrificed his job to save our future. He's truly a martyr. 

5 minutes ago, Fatgerman said:

I will always appreciate Sashi for saving us from ourselves on that terrible McCarran trade. I doubt we end up with Tyrod and Baker if that trade went through, and that would be tragic. Sashi sacrificed his job to save our future. He's truly a martyr. 

Look, if this team succeeds in the near future, Sashi absolutely played a crucial role in it. There's no denying that. He made some boneheaded decisions, but it brought us to this exact moment, in which it's not crazy to feel good about the direction of this team.

I think the whole deal with that trade falling through was just the incompetence that it projected. It was such a typical Browns move, and there was no coming back after that.

Archived