Hard Knocks Discussion

Mind Character

47 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Are you sure? I'm almost positive he did...

Technically he did. Hue’s last year with Oakland was ‘11 and that was Pryors rookie year. Pryor didn’t do anything that year. He was behind Palmer and Campbell. Didn’t even attempt a pass. Not sure he even took a snap in the regular season. Pryor didn’t start until ‘13 

11 hours ago, buno67 said:

Well he deserved every bit of hate tho. 

He put himself in that position to be hated. Sashi helped a little bit but it was all on hue. He has pretty much failed at every aspect of his job as HC and OC the two years prior except for being liked by his players but that didn’t benefit the team.  

He has to prove this year that he can actually be a good coach. 

One thing that made him so hated by so many was he was so cocky and confident and never really backed it up. 

The thing is, you have to look at the WHY?  Was he sucking with a stacked roster?  Was he sucking with an average roster?  Was he sucking with a poor roster?  Was he sucking with a bad news bears bad roster?

Was he sucking because he had too much on his plate with no OC?

Does past history prior to his time with the Browns indicate that sucking is the norm for him?

Like I said, they will line up after the season I believe, ready to swallow Hue whole, one by one (the haters) after a good year.  Completely denying all of this hate.  It is very hypocritical.

@Mind Character I’m very much not a Hue guy, for many reasons, but the post you brought back does have some good evidence. 

For me, I couldn’t stand Kizer as a prospect when we took him. But, I will comment that the way Hue ran the offense with (around, really) Kizer was beyond reprehensible. It was like he thought we had a veteran QB. No reliance on the run game (even when it was working). Struggled with settling things up. Poor game management entirely. I think I would have respected Hue a lot more if when questioned about things in postgame that were obvious coaching blunders, he wouldn’t snicker at the reporter. 

Like I said, he’s had very little QB talent here. But he seemed in over his head with what he had and seemed to get the least amount out of it. Here’s hoping Haley and Tyrod help turn things around.

Well that was pretty good. Two takeaways I had were that 1) Jarvis Landry is about to be really really good and earn that contract. 2) Felt like they did far too much with Hue's family passing away. Could have been like 1 scene that recognizes it but instead it was brought up like 4 different times making it super uncomfortable 

10 hours ago, Mind Character said:

A Complete History of Hue's QB coaching.

I don't really care about college resumes.

The Ravens were good with any QB. Flacco wasn't ever above average with Hue there.

The Raiders didn't have any special QB play no matter the circumstances.

You forgot to mention Atlanta.

Dalton had his career year but that was a good offense if he doesn't get blame for bad offenses how can we credit him with good offenses? That one year in Cincy is his claim to fame though.

His QBs and how he handled them in Cleveland has been terrible.

No QB he ever coached ever turned into a better than average QB. May be because they weren't ever going to be above average but normally the QB gurus are attached to at least one good QB. Not the case with Hue.

1 hour ago, mistakey said:

Love landry

side note: gotta think that was a low key or very public shot at corey 

gordon is coming back

I think baker is gonna be great

cant wait to see the fight between Coleman and Jackson 

Agree with everything. Only thing that worried me was Haleys/Hue conversation. It seemed like a power stuggle and the coaches looked worried and were not on the same page as one another about where the team and operations currently sit.

My takeaways:

Landry is SOOO needed on this team! We need more of him! And I'd bet he had something to do with Coleman getting axed. When that guy comes to me, as the GM, and tells me to get rid of a dude because he has a trash work ethic and mentality, says we can't win with said dude...I friggin listen.

Besides, Haley didn't seem in love with him either. He jumps his butt basically saying, play with some flipping effort, like you actually give a damn.

Next: Todd Haley and Hue seem to have a smidgen of tension. Haley thinks Hue is too soft on players, seems to be the drift, Hue being over worried about injuries. I get both sides, and in the case of a guy like Duke, I get being careful, but I think Hue was being easy on Coleman because of his girly hamstrings. Haley wasn't having it. Might be why Coleman insisted on practicing his off day, because he was catching so much flak from Haley and Landry. Either way, glad he's gone. Can't coach em. Can't win with em.

Defense is looking fast and hungry! Taking on the Greg Williams mentality. I had an idea. Maybe the coaches should put bounties on opposing players, reward our guys for knocking them out of the game. You know, for motivation. Think about it.

Was surprised the left tackle issue never made it to screen. Really thought Joe's retirement and the desperate search for his replacement would have been a story point.

4th string QB, not bothering to learn his name, is a funny dude? Gonna miss whatever his name was.

6 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Agree with everything. Only thing that worried me was Haleys/Hue conversation. It seemed like a power stuggle and the coaches looked worried and were not on the same page as one another about where the team and operations currently sit.

I guess.  That’s where depodesta has his influence though.  The nerds have shown a way to prevent injuries and keep players like duke healthy . It’s the players job to fight their coaches to play.  It’s the coaches to know when to sit em to prevent them from harminf

o remember the days when we had like 14 guys on stationary bikes with soft tissue injuries.  We don’t really have that anymore. 

Archived