Hard Knocks Discussion

Mind Character

39 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Still have no idea why they got rid of Cajuste in favor of...Orson Charles? Explain

Orson was with KC last year. So Dorsey knows what he has in him. Also has experience with the TE coach and QB coach. To me those could be the only reasons

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Ah, that’s right, they gotta “earn their stripes”. ? 

Corniest damned thing ever, you’d think Hue was filming a scene for an overly dramatic and cliched, made for TV movie...

Totally stole Urban Meyer's gimmick, only there, they remove a black-taped stripe from their helmet. What I like better about the Buckeye's version is that each guy loses their black stripe only after they've individually earned it and only then, and not all at once. Before you lose your stripe, you aren't considered part of the team. You can tell it really means something to those guys to lose that black stripe.

I just finished watching the episode. I don't remember ever watching the finale of the other Hard Knocks, mainly caught an episode or so and saw some cuts happen before, but this one was a bit sad watching. I really enjoy seeing this part of the game. It was nice seeing guys like Myles, Njoku, and Mayfield really trying to help out the ones on the bubble. Side note, Myles looked enormous next to Orchard haha, like a young teenager standing next to a grown man.

I had mixed feelings of Hue telling the final 53 that 59% of the roster has changed and that the change is complete or has begun (can't remember); mainly since he has been deflecting most of the blame on the players instead of his lack of coaching. I will say, the Browns have a lot more talent then many may expect, but dam I'm going to be sad/mad that it's going to be used as a "see, Hue can win with good players" type of thinking. I will always say that 2017 Browns had enough talent to not go 0 - 16 and that a lot of those failures were on Hue's horrible play calling/decision making and Williams angel formation that kept Peppers off the TV screen.

I enjoyed the ending, seeing the future of the Browns in Mayfield and Myles (and hopefully Gordon) made me excited for the season.

10 minutes ago, Onizuka said:

I just finished watching the episode. I don't remember ever watching the finale of the other Hard Knocks, mainly caught an episode or so and saw some cuts happen before, but this one was a bit sad watching. I had mixed feelings of Hue telling the final 53 that 59% of the roster has changed and that the change is complete or has begun (can't remember); mainly since he has been deflecting most of the blame on the players instead of his lack of coaching. 

Not much else needs to be said. At least we know he even deflects blame within the locker room.

Hue and Dorsey have both held onto that 59% number publicly now. That’s fun for fans to get excited about going forward, but as an organization, just shut up and go win some games. Don’t tell everyone about a finalized plan before it’s resulted in any wins. 

1 hour ago, AkronsWitness said:

Still have no idea why they got rid of Cajuste in favor of...Orson Charles? Explain

Just look at Charles as FB/TE...

1.) We have no Fullback on the roster as Danny Vitale was waived-injured.

2.) Our backups to Njoku: Fells is more blocking TE than receiving TE and Seth Devalve missed all of camp injured and is more receiving TE than Blocking TE.

3.) Orson Charles at Georgia was used often as a H-Back off the line blocking TE, and he is a really good blocker. He also has pass catching and Flex TE versatility.

4.) Todd Haley loves H-Back personnel groupings where the defense doesn't know if the H-Back is a blocking or receiving threat.

5.) Charles provides them with a FB, a H-Back, and is a true receiving optionn as a pas catching TE in the event that Devalve can't stay healthy and Charles is the first pass catching TE off the bench.

6.) Cajuste's skills set is limited to the receiving, pass catching TE role.

6 hours ago, NateDawg said:

Not much else needs to be said. At least we know he even deflects blame within the locker room.

Hue and Dorsey have both held onto that 59% number publicly now. That’s fun for fans to get excited about going forward, but as an organization, just shut up and go win some games. Don’t tell everyone about a finalized plan before it’s resulted in any wins. 

They keep touting the turnover, but when did changing 60% of a roster become a good thing?

Theyve obviously made plenty of improvements, but there are plenty of moves that look like lateral moves at best.

Next Hue will preach continuity as they key...

6 hours ago, NateDawg said:

What else are they suppose to do? There isn’t a game yet and media asks questions and what not. Got to give information. Also the 59% Numbers is pretty huge. I wonder what the biggest turn over from one year to another is. The most important number is the 100% turnover in the QB room. All new QBs, QB coach, and OC. That there will win us our games this year 

1 hour ago, buno67 said:

What else are they suppose to do? There isn’t a game yet and media asks questions and what not. Got to give information. Also the 59% Numbers is pretty huge. I wonder what the biggest turn over from one year to another is. The most important number is the 100% turnover in the QB room. All new QBs, QB coach, and OC. That there will win us our games this year 

You can add talent to improve the roster which will obviously create some turnover, especially when the previous front office set up 2018 as their year to make big additions via both the draft and FA.  The high picks like Baker, Ward, Corbett, Chubb, etc were always going to displace some guys, as were the FAs and players they traded for.

Thats said, I think you’re kidding yourself if you’re telling me that guys like Hyde, Neary, Robinson, Davis, Lawrence, Smith, and even Chad Thomas are any better than they guys they replaced.  They traded Sashi’s mediocre to bad for their mediocre to bad.  It’s their right obviously, and I get that, but if the last 15 years should have taught us anything it’s thay new doesn’t always equal better.  For all of our issues over two decades, our lack of continuity, be it ownership, coaching, front offices, players, etc has been far and away our biggest issue. 

3 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

You can add talent to improve the roster which will obviously create some turnover, especially when the previous front office set up 2018 as their year to make big additions via both the draft and FA.  The high picks like Baker, Ward, Corbett, Chubb, etc were always going to displace some guys, as were the FAs and players they traded for.

Thats said, I think you’re kidding yourself if you’re telling me that guys like Hyde, Neary, Robinson, Davis, Lawrence, Smith, and even Chad Thomas are any better than they guys they replaced.  They traded Sashi’s mediocre to bad for their mediocre to bad.  It’s their right obviously, and I get that, but if the last 15 years should have taught us anything it’s thay new doesn’t always equal better.  For all of our issues over two decades, our lack of continuity, be it ownership, coaching, front offices, players, etc has been far and away our biggest issue. 

Hyde is better that Crowell. Crow proved he was pretty worthless unless he had a FB infront of him or was playing in an i formation. Hyde will have a bigger impact this year than any year crow has for us. 

The other guys you mention are bottom of the roster guys. Guys who will be easily replaced. Flipping he roster where the browns have better starting QB, RB, WRs, RT, and Pretty much the secondary. Sashi had a lot more bad talent on this roster than there should of been. I was fine with tanking but he took the tank to a new level. The biggest roster turn over happen in important positions. QB, WR, and Secondary

I don't blame Dorsey for boasting about/constantly bringing awareness to the 59% number. It makes him look more competent (which is like saying losing 3 pounds makes a sumo wrestler look thinner), gives him some extra leeway/rope in the eyes of HeeHaw/the public, and gives the reality/illusion that he has gotten rid of deadweight while adding/trying to add youth and talent.

For the life of me, I can't see why HUE would be tooting this horn, considering he got "his guy" in Coleman, not to mention Kessler, RGIII...the list goes on. Most of the "deadweight/turnover" Hue was here for and oversaw.

1 hour ago, buno67 said:

Hyde is better that Crowell. Crow proved he was pretty worthless unless he had a FB infront of him or was playing in an i formation. Hyde will have a bigger impact this year than any year crow has for us. 

The other guys you mention are bottom of the roster guys. Guys who will be easily replaced. Flipping he roster where the browns have better starting QB, RB, WRs, RT, and Pretty much the secondary. Sashi had a lot more bad talent on this roster than there should of been. I was fine with tanking but he took the tank to a new level. The biggest roster turn over happen in important positions. QB, WR, and Secondary

Sashi was definitely guilty of the same issue, albeit for a different reason.  We weren’t better by letting guys like Schwartz, Mack, Gabriel, etc go.

As far as the QB, WR, DB upgrades, I have no reason to believe similar moves wouldn’t have been made by any GM, the tank was over, we had the ability to secure our QB.

Archived