Here we go, Calloway reportedly cited for Marijuana posession

DizzyDean

37 minutes ago, Mega Ron said:

Well then I don't want to doubt any officer but to say on camera you smell something, even if you don't, gives you the chance to find something.

Very true, but when you actually find the thing you said you smelled it lends a bit of credibility to the original statement.

4 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Very true, but when you actually find the thing you said you smelled it lends a bit of credibility to the original statement.

Yes and no. It might seem open and shut, but here in California cops have been known for quite some time to say that to anyone who looks like they might smoke. In fact, if it's not extremely obvious in the smell, the officer isn't really establishing probable cause. They are known to say, "I'm going to need to search your car" when they are actually just asking for consent. They are legally allowed to mislead and lie, so a driver has to assert his/her rights (in a way that is nonconfrontational, which makes it even more challenging--deck stacked against the private citizen in the current setup.). The same goes with DUI checkpoints, but that is another conversation.

7 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

Yes and no. It might seem open and shut, but here in California cops have been known for quite some time to say that to anyone who looks like they might smoke. In fact, if it's not extremely obvious in the smell, the officer isn't really establishing probable cause. They are known to say, "I'm going to need to search your car" when they are actually just asking for consent. They are legally allowed to mislead and lie, so a driver has to assert his/her rights (in a way that is nonconfrontational, which makes it even more challenging--deck stacked against the private citizen in the current setup.). The same goes with DUI checkpoints, but that is another conversation.

All of this is true.... but they did find weed, and weed does have an incredible distinct smell.

24 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

And ain’t nobody looking for weed in a car in Cali @NudeTayne ? 

Bless your heart, but I'll accept all this ignorance as not being from California. I get you're joking because it just became legal, but it's been a nightmare until now. The thing is, I've been in cars that did not smell like weed and did not have any where the officer said that they thought they smelled weed and that they needed to check the car. We didn't have any so there was no problem, but I witnessed firsthand that this is definitely how they operate.

The goal is to find any infraction possible. I have been accused by officers of being drunk when I didn't even drink anything or even do anything wrong, having an officer telling me I was driving down the wrong side of a tiny narrow street in a residential area with no marking between lanes. There are good ones and bad ones etc.etc., but it just is what it is at this point; there are myriad examples of police officers abusing their power in order to try to write excessive tickets.

P.S.: I know this isn't just a California thing, though it does happen a lot here. I had the same thing happened to me in North Dakota in a rental car that was completely clean. They searched my brother and I, harangued us with questions to see if our stories fit, asked us openly if we were drug traffickers, and eventually let out that they had just pulled us over because we had out-of-state plates.

10 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

Bless your heart, but I'll accept all this ignorance as not being from California. I get you're joking because it just became legal, but it's been a nightmare until now. The thing is, I've been in cars that did not smell like weed and did not have any where the officer said that they thought they smelled weed and that they needed to check the car. We didn't have any so there was no problem, but I witnessed firsthand that this is definitely how they operate.

The goal is to find any infraction possible. I have been accused by officers of being drunk when I didn't even drink anything or even do anything wrong, having an officer telling me I was driving down the wrong side of a tiny narrow street in a residential area with no marking between lanes. There are good ones and bad ones etc.etc., but it just is what it is at this point; there are myriad examples of police officers abusing their power in order to try to write excessive tickets.

P.S.: I know this isn't just a California thing, though it does happen a lot here. I had the same thing happened to me in North Dakota in a rental car that was completely clean. They searched my brother and I, harangued us with questions to see if our stories fit, asked us openly if we were drug traffickers, and eventually let out that they had just pulled us over because we had out-of-state plates.

A very Mind Characteresque response to a joke.

Well done. ? 

PS: I know all their games, I’ve seen The Wire.

Archived