Bears could be interested in trading too much for Khalil Mack

cooters22

1 hour ago, Beast said:

Yes, rumors have been that Mack wants the largest contract ever given to a defensive player and highest paid defender... so 5 years, 110 million (22 million per season) is right in line I think.

And fans want to throw two 1st round picks at the Raiders for the pleasure of signing him to that contract. 

Mack is a great player... that's just a ton to invest into any single player. Especially when you look at other 100 million type contracts where players (for different reasons) haven't been living up to them... even the GREAT JJ Watt... he's played amazing when healthy, he just hasn't been that healthy since signing his 100 million contract.

That is a lot given that Chandler Jones has more sacks that Mack in the last 3 years, and he is only averaging 16.5 per year.

5 hours ago, cooters22 said:

Game was in Green Bay last night. 

This is not in the proper spirit for this thread: 

Pick a premise and argue vehemently in favor of it! If Shanedorf wants to start with the premise that Gute was in Nashville let’s hear him out!

The silver shoes evidence is overwhelming, by the way. I think it moves me directly into the “Gute is running an op to snag Mack while Mark Murphy maintains plausible deniability for flirting with the boundaries of league rules” camp. 

9 minutes ago, blueswedeshoes said:

If Shanedorf wants to start with the premise that Gute was in Nashville let’s hear him out!

occam's razor blueswedeshoes:

I just whiffed on the location....which is quite pathetic given how easy it is to tell that it's Lambeau 

5 minutes ago, StinkySauce said:

Um, what about Scott?  Don’t overthink it.  We got this.

He might be good trade bait for Mack... in fact, I'm sure the Packers pissed the Raiders off by grabbing him one selection before they were going to pick him.

Raiders released their Punter (for drama and cash reasons), and they were going to grab one of the two elite punters in the draft. Seahawks grabbed one, and then one pick ahead of the Raiders, the Packers grabbed the other... Raiders grabbed the punter they thought was next best. But I wonder if Gute knew the Raiders would grab him, so he grabbed him first.

Besides, with Aaron Rodgers leading us and 7 WRs, we're not going to need a punter!

Just give up the two - 1st next year and a couple of fringe guys and lets get this done. Turns our defense into a top 5 unit immediately. Of course, the Raiders would have to be stupid to make any deal for this kid other than a long-term deal to keep him. 

I thought the 2019 edge class was deeper than 2018's. We have two picks in the first to get a quality edge why pay mack 18 million and lose Clark and Dix? I also wouldn't mind locking up Wilkerson if he proves he wants to live up to his contract. 

I don't want to trade away picks for him. We need those picks for edge, RT and TE. With Rodgers massive payday looming we need to stock up on cheaper talent. Mack and Rodgers contracts would cripple this team financially.

21 minutes ago, St Vince said:

I thought the 2019 edge class was deeper than 2018's. We have two picks in the first to get a quality edge why pay mack 18 million and lose Clark and Dix? I also wouldn't mind locking up Wilkerson if he proves he wants to live up to his contract. 

I don't want to trade away picks for him. We need those picks for edge, RT and TE. With Rodgers massive payday looming we need to stock up on cheaper talent. Mack and Rodgers contracts would cripple this team financially.

This would be the prudent thing to do.  We could stay the course and hope for the best... in 3 years when those rookie pass rushers are actually ready to contribute.

Most teams are able to pay 11 or 12 "core" guys.  The rest are on rookie deals or reasonable 2nd contracts for role players.  Getting Mack would likely mean the likes of Cobb and Matthews would be gone after this year, but it wouldn't stop the Packers from resigning HHCD or Clark in 2019 and 2020.  Gute inherited a very healthy cap with no bloated contracts weighing him down.  Players likely to see a decline in their play due to age are only signed for 1 or 2 more years.  

You've got to go all in when the window is open.

Saw the article on Packers Wire about the odds of Mack playing here.  Clickbait extraordinare.  I would give up the Packers 1st rounder and a third to get the deal done.  As far as contract he shouldn't be the highest paid defender in the league.  He's good but c'mon.  18 mil/yr range sounds about right.  Would be ecstatic to get him but please it ain't going to happen.  Matthews and Cobb< Mack.  

3 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

Saw the article on Packers Wire about the odds of Mack playing here.  Clickbait extraordinare.  I would give up the Packers 1st rounder and a third to get the deal done.  As far as contract he shouldn't be the highest paid defender in the league.  He's good but c'mon.  18 mil/yr range sounds about right.  Would be ecstatic to get him but please it ain't going to happen.  Matthews and Cobb< Mack.  

Which defender should be higher?

Archived