Bears could be interested in trading too much for Khalil Mack

cooters22

58 minutes ago, Siman08/OH said:

Lets hypothesize, how big of a move would this be for us to draw that kind of young talent? Reggie White big? Charles Woodson big? I know those guys were established dominant vets but i feel like this would be similar (and both led to SB wins). I want so bad.

Considering nobody wanted Charles Woodson, it would be closer to the former. 

19 minutes ago, Leader said:

You appear to have greater knowledge of OAK than I do -- so I suggest you pose your question to @zachkruse2 as it was his tweet I posted.

I meant to pose the question to the entire forum, not just you. I was only quoting you to show what I was getting it from, so from zach via your post.

From what I can find, the last big crazy moves were under owner and GM, Al Davis, who past in 2011. When new owner/son Mark Davis took over, he had a management turn over (which is normal) and he hired Reggie McKenzie. Only surprisingly thing McKenzie has really done is move back in the draft (which surprised people because historically that's not what the Raiders do), but when you're rebuilding a roster, more picks helps... and they surprisingly released one of the best punters in the game, but that punter is well known to have a very big attitude (good or bad, it's big) but when hired Gruden wants a roster that listens (and IMO, he wants to have the biggest attitude in the place, just my opinion :P)

I think this was because of Al Davis, but because he kept trying to go all-in and get those last big pieces to win the Super Bowl (even though they weren't even close), Al kept going all in and so they didn't have a 1st round pick in 2011 nor 2012 and didn't have a 2nd round pick in 2012 either. Also in 2009 the Raiders (because of Al Davis love of the 40 yard dash as the more important thing) way over drafted both WR Darrius Heyward-Bey and SS Mike Mitchell.

1 hour ago, Beast said:

Have the Raiders done anything insane since Mark Davis took over?

So while the Raiders haven't done anything *insane* precisely, the Raiders have been known to allow personality issues override professional sense, like when they cut Marquette King (who is a very good punter and was affordable) for no apparent reason beyond "Gruden didn't like him."

So if Gruden boots his punter because he's colorful and Gruden wants to be the "Get off my lawn" curmudgeon, who's to say he won't react even more irrationally to a young player "asking for more than he's worth" or "not honoring his contract" or whatever.

18 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

So while the Raiders haven't done anything *insane* precisely, the Raiders have been known to allow personality issues override professional sense, like when they cut Marquette King (who is a very good punter and was affordable) for no apparent reason beyond "Gruden didn't like him."

So if Gruden boots his punter because he's colorful and Gruden wants to be the "Get off my lawn" curmudgeon, who's to say he won't react even more irrationally to a young player "asking for more than he's worth" or "not honoring his contract" or whatever.

I mean, I would never cut him but he was a gigantic showboat. It was amazing and I loved him for it. But he was a punter who got 15 yard penalties and danced all the time lol. 

The raiders traded for Hackenberg. That's pretty insane haha not being serious but still

1 hour ago, Siman08/OH said:

Lets hypothesize, how big of a move would this be for us to draw that kind of young talent? Reggie White big? Charles Woodson big? I know those guys were established dominant vets but i feel like this would be similar (and both led to SB wins). I want so bad.

Has a player of this caliber, in his prime, with no concerns other than salary ever even been traded? I'm struggling to think of one anyways

1 hour ago, Norm said:

Has a player of this caliber, in his prime, with no concerns other than salary ever even been traded? I'm struggling to think of one anyways

Jared Allen, I mean he had a DUI, but his being traded was 100% money related. Spent the next 6 years averaging 14.5 sacks a year so he was in his prime too. Vikings gave up a 1,3,3,6 in that deal but definitely won.

18 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Jared Allen, I mean he had a DUI, but his being traded was 100% money related. Spent the next 6 years averaging 14.5 sacks a year so he was in his prime too. Vikings gave up a 1,3,3,6 in that deal but definitely won.

I don't feel like Allen was as good as Mack is now. He had great stats and ****, and he was good, but I don't think so. It's not way off though, maybe I'm dumb and it's really close but I'm not leaning that way.

57 minutes ago, Lodestar said:

Allen is a decent comparison. He was All-Pro and led the league in sacks (15.5) before he was traded.

What about Champ Bailey to the Broncos? That was contract-related, wasn't it?

Forgot all about Champ. Either way, Mack has dropped 3 PBs and two AP in 4 years. Jared Allen became Jared Allen AFTER he got traded. I don't think he was viewed like Mack is now before that from that previous year, I think he had double digits once before that too, but still. That's not how I remember it.

41 minutes ago, Norm said:

Forgot all about Champ. Either way, Mack has dropped 3 PBs and two AP in 4 years. Jared Allen became Jared Allen AFTER he got traded. I don't think he was viewed like Mack is now before that from that previous year, I think he had double digits once before that too, but still. That's not how I remember it.

Mack has top 6 overall pick.  Allen was a mid round pick I believe.   I agree with your overall point really. 

6 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Mack has top 6 overall pick.  Allen was a mid round pick I believe.   I agree with your overall point really. 

That helps the hype certainly. Just feels like his career was really made after that. I didn't think of Allen like I do now until after all that. Mack is more, proven? IDK. Just feels like I felt higher on Mack than Allen if we use these same points.

2 hours ago, Norm said:

I don't feel like Allen was as good as Mack is now. He had great stats and ****, and he was good, but I don't think so. It's not way off though, maybe I'm dumb and it's really close but I'm not leaning that way.

Jared Allen was coming off a season as the sack leader and was young. Had a great career, but he was not Khalil Mack. Mack is the type of player that changes a franchise in many ways over the course of a decade. 

Archived